Re: Satin or Glossy

To: ms6453@optonline.net, tr6taylor@webtv.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Satin or Glossy
From: DeLoera56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:03:50 EST
Mitch

    When I refinished the dash on my '71, I went to a specialty wood working
store called Wood Crafters. I had the dash and steering wheel with (out of
the car of course). They were very helpful in finding a stain that closely
match the color of the wood grain wheel and recommended a lacquer finish.
According to the fellow that helped me, the lacquer is easier to touch up and
when complete and polished out gives you that ten mile deep look. I sprayed
on seven coats and sanded between each coat with 600 W/D followed with 1200
W/D and used Linseed Oil instead of water.  After the final coat and sanding,
I rubbed out the finish with pumice and linseed oil followed with a
combination polish and wax to put the final touch on it. I am very happy with
the finish and even those die hard friends of mine that claim it to be a
sacrilege to do anything to one of these cars that wasn't original, admit it
looks great.

Steve Moore
Red '71 TR-6