Re: Clutch Woes

To: oconnor@fuse.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Woes
From: DeLoera56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:28:24 EST
Kevin

    Charlie's E-mail is right on the money, only a few things to add.  First
use a 5/16 inch grade 8 bolt for the cross drilled shaft and throw out fork,
along with a nylon lock nut.  Assemble the fork and cross shaft on the work
bench and insert a new tapered pin, tightly, to properly position the fork on
the shaft.  You can use a bench size drill press, just make sure the drill is
sharp, if you have any doubts buy a new one (If a used drill is not sharpened
properly the tip can be off center and create a larger hole then you actually
want). Carefully drill through the cast iron fork, if memory serves me there
is a pad cast in the fork, that if the fork is propped up properly, is an
ideal location to center punch and drill through the shaft. Make certain that
you go through the center of the shaft. After drilling the shaft, chamfer the
edges of the casting as well as the shaft.

    There are two locations that you have clevis pins and forks, at the
clutch arm on the transmission and in the peddle box.  Make sure that both
connections are not loose. If they are you will need to eliminate this slop
as well, by replacing pins and forks.  The new cross shaft will help out at
the transmission, but if the clutch pedal is loose, you will need to remove
the peddle box to get the pedal out. Weld up the hole in the pedal and then
drill a new hole for the clevis pin, in the same location as the old hole.

The TRF throw out bearing part number is RFK1121, they call this an up rated
part, so I don't know if this is the Toyota item or not, you might call and
ask.

    Charlie's bearing, the last time I drove his car, was screaming like a
banshee, not what you want after going through all of the above work. So get
either the TRF bearing, which by the way is already mounted on the throw out
bearing sleeve, or get the Toyota Land Cruiser bearing.  I you take your time
and do everything carefully the end result should be that this is the last
time you ever see this fork, under normal conditions.

    Don't let the thought of how long it is going to take you to remove the
interior bother you, Charlie has gotten his time down to 45 minutes, a record
he may break when he installs his new bearing or when we do my clutch.

Good Luck

Steve Moore
Red 71 TR6