Re: Clutch Woes

To: "Kevin O'Connor" <oconnor@fuse.net>,
Subject: Re: Clutch Woes
From: "Charlie and Linda Duckworth" <cnlduckwor@ninenet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:52:23 -0600
Many of us have been down the clutch road once or twice (me twice in under
three weeks).  Here's some of the things I got from the list (Dick Taylor)
and my/Steve Moore's (fellow listee) own experiences
- replace the t/o bearing with a high quality one, the one I installed only
a a couple thousands miles ago is now making noise.  I ordered a
'heavy-duty' replacement one from The Roadster Factory and it's in the trunk
of my TR waiting for the right moment/mood.
- when you replace the clutch fork drill through both it and the shaft as to
reinforce it with a steel bolt and nut, someone sent me a url with sizes and
photos but I lost it when my Lucas C drive went bust on my PC.  But am sure
someone still has it bookmaked.
- add double bushings on either side of the clutch shaft to reduce wear and
play
- check out the pedal box for play while you have the car taken apart - Dick
Taylor sent me here and it was in need of repair to take the slop out of the
clutch pedal  ie., enlongated holes in the box.
- Replace the plastic hose between the master and slave cylinder with the
flexible steel one from one of the big three.
- You'll probably have to saw the shaft in two and get a new one.
Good luck
Charlie