Re: 2nd Gear Shifting woes

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2nd Gear Shifting woes
From: Peter Macholdt <pmachold@pluto.njcc.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:00:50 -0500
Jim,

I agree with Dick, it is very likely the syncros.  I would pass along a
word of caution though.  The syncros sold by TRF are made in Taiwan and
are not the same as the originals.  While I support the efforts of TRF
and I buy from them whenever possible, I would recommend looking for an
alternate source of syncros.

Tim Holbrook, a member of this list, once mentioned a place in the UK
that carried a better grade of syncros.  The company is called
Racetorations and has a web site at http://www.racetorations.co.uk.

Good luck,
Peter

>Happy Post Thanksgiving to all 6ers out there.  The weather is still
>delightful down here in Florida.  Went out yesterday with the top down
>and the Ansa exhausts roaring.  Too much fun.  Question: I am beginning
>to have problems getting into 2nd gear with my 75 TR6. No other gear
>gives me a problem.   It is a little easier to shift into 2nd after the
>car (or fluid) is warmed up.  Does that make any sense?  It has a
>completely new clutch and master/slave cyclinders put in about a year
>ago.  Before that I had shifting problems and may have damaged 2nd gear
>trying to get home when I lossed the clutch.  Now it is worse. I
>replaced all fluid and did have some brass shavings in there.  How big a
>job is it to just fix the second gear parts (not sure which ones)? or am
>I better off putting in another tranny. I have a spare one in a parts
>car.   I don't have overdrive and I believe this is the original
>transmission with about 80,000 miles on it.
>Thanks
>--
>Jim Henningsen
>Kissimmee, FL