Re: A cold day for sixing

To: "David Friedlander" <forzion@maine.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: A cold day for sixing
From: "ROBERT L. GANNON" <trsix74@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 07:24:12 -0500
I have had my six for over 6 years now and have never been able to figure
this one out. I resigned myself to the fact that this was one of the few
imperfections on the car that would remain.
As for Dave, one more small check for your safety. Check the stems on your
trailer arms that hold the hub assembly on. These are fine thread inserted
into aluminium (British Metal). It is commonly known and suggested that
course thread should be used when putting a steel threaded bolt into
aluminium, for strength reasons. Over tightening can lead to the stripping
of the threads in the rear trailer arms. I have had this experience and sent
a detailed repair sequence to the list. It should be in the archives. Also
if you purchased a Aadco rear away bar, the long bolts to attach the arm to
the trailer arm are a little short and it will make it tough to catch the
thread. Grind the large plate washer provided to fit snugly into place and
the bolt will have that extra 1/8th of an inch to grab. Once this is
achieved and the car in on the ground, take it for a spin and then tighten
the nuts again after as the bushings tend to change shape immediately (very
soft). It is not recommended to use poly resin in this area. You would end
up feeling every imperfection in the road. I hope this helps you on "What
Winter Projects"