Ammeter indication

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ammeter indication
From: Bert Van der Stee <bvdstee1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:10:27 +0200
6packers,

already my thanks to all who contributed to my (hopefully) solved battery
charging problem.  Thanks to your responses and Dan's great "Electrical
Maintenance Handbook" I figured the culprits as the alternator and a bad
battery.
I have done a testdrive last weekend of about 10 miles, partially with the
headlights on, and have experienced no problem.  The car still started
normally afterwards, also after a stop & start & stop & start.

Only problem - the ammeter is indicating "decharge".  When I start the car,
it goes to a clear "charge" indication, after about a minute or so it goes
down little under "neutral" and stays there.  Each time I stop and restart
the car, it starts in the charge area immediately and goes down to a light
decharge (about 0.5 cm off centre).

=> What are the symptoms of an ammeter indicating wrong ? How can I measure
this ? Or do I have something consuming a huge amount of power (nothing is
acting "funny", though - no strange noises at all) - but then the voltage
measured between the battery poles with a running engine would go down
also, isn't it ?

Voltage and everything is OK with the engine is running, the alternator nor
the wiring to the battery can be the problem.
And again, the testdrive showed OK, but I am not fully confident.

thanks !
Bert
72 TR6

http://im.yahoo.com