Door Handle Pins

To: egj@alumni.caltech.edu, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Door Handle Pins
From: "jbullis" <jbullis@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 17:30:19 -0400
Jim,
I have had my door handles off several and been able to replace them springs
and all like this:
I use a small (about 3/32") screwdriver with a fairly long shaft 4"-6" or
even longer, and a small handle (in the audio and video electronics business
its called a greenie made by xcelite). I place the spring, plastic backing
plate and handle together and push them into place with the screwdriver
shank behind them(against the vinyl) as the handle goes on the handcrank
shaft put the screwdriver tip  into the hole for the pin but don't obstruct
the shaft  from traveling into the handle. While you push the door handle,
palstic plate and spring onto the the shaft push the screwdriver handle.
When the holes line up the screwdriver shaft will go through the door handle
and the shaft and stick out the other side. Now you're ready to install the
pin. Using a pair of medium needle nose pliers grasp the pin on one end and
push it towards the tip of the screwdriver tip which is sticking out. Grab
the screwdriver handle and slowly pull the screwdrever shaft out while
pushing the pin in.  The first time I did this it took me about 15 minutes
to do it after that it gets easier. I have had my door panels off a few
times in the last five years. I do replace them with the plastic plates and
the springs every time with little or no cursing. You may want to put a
piece of cardboard on the vinyl to avoid scraping of tearing it.  I never
have but it might be prudent bit of protection.