starter problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: starter problem
From: RedTriumphTr6@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:15:46 EDT
Hey 6packers...for the last month or so my car has refused to start
consistently because the starter does not kick in; specifically, every ten or
fifteen turns of the ignition results in one session of only hearing a
clicking noise.  I solve the problem each time by jiggling the two wires on
the starter and the solenoid .  The nuts are fairly tight, as I put a wrench
to each, although I can still move the wires up and down with firm pressure.
This always starts the car when I then turn the key. Is the starter possibly
going out on me?  I now hear a strange rattle and the fan/front part of the
engine seems to jerk or spin abruptly as the engine starts.  Good heavens, I
even thought a cat or squirrel had crawled up onto the engine or radiator and
gotten caught by the fan belt. Is the timing chain the problem?  I am now
apprehensive about driving anywhere, as I really dont enjoy being stranded
(happened once last week due to cracked rotor).  One thing you should know is
that I sprayed clear engine detailer all over the engine (and regretably
thestarter) about the same time that I started having starting problems.
Could I have inadvertently coated the started wire terminals with some of the
detailer,causing electrical connection or circuit problelms?  Any thoughts?
Is the recently advertised $300 gear reduction starter worth installing if I
need a starter, or is it just hype?
The new rattling sound and the unfamiliar engine shaking (as she first fires)
scares me.
                                                              Bob Pierson  74
1/2