Re: Brake Failure Help!!!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Failure Help!!!
From: TR6GREG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:26:47 EDT
John, I reread your mail, and realized that I didn't read it or remember it
very well when I sent my response...it sounds as though your caliper has
stuck or siezed internally and grabbed the rotor causing it to overheat.  The
brake fluid may have boiled and caused your pedal to go to the floor, but I'm
not sure about that.  You didn't mention if you had a good brake pedal after
the brake had cooled off with the car just sitting.  This would indicate that
the caliper piston is corroded inside or stuck for some reason, which would
say that it needs reworked or replaced.  I would definitely check that rotor
for heat damage.  It is not abnormal for a rotor to have a slight amount of
drag on the pads while you turn the wheel if the pads are not worn terribly,
but you should be able to turn it by hand without any real effort. By slight
amount of drag I mean that you can hear it drag, but not really feel much
drag as you turn it by hand, if that makes any sense.  I'm sure Dr. Taylor or
some of the other folks will have some better ideas than I do... (you do have
your Ph.d. don't you, Dick?)  I hope this is of some use.

Greg Donegan
72 TR6
Hebron, KY