Re: Changing gearbox oil

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Changing gearbox oil
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 01:16:51 -0400
It looks like you learned one rule the hard way: always remove the filler
plug before draining the oil.  That way, if you can't get the filler out,
you'll know not to drain the oil and subsequently strand yourself!   But,
having said that, I would remove the gearbox tunnel if I were you.  I know
it's a pain in the @$#, but it will give you much better access and control
in getting the plug out.  It's very easy to round the plug off when
fighting with it from underneath, and then you're really in trouble.  Take
the gearbox tunnel off, and find a socket that fits nicely on the plug,
then carefully try to loosen it.  When reassembling everything, get
yourself a new plug.  A hex head would work best, but even a new square
plug will be better than reusing the one you currently are fighting with,
since it'll probably be a bit rounded and beaten up.  Don't tighten it up
madly either.  Snug it up nicely so it doesn't back out on you, but there's
not need to torque it like a madman.  You don't want to jam it in their
again and make it hard to get out next time, and you're threading it into
aluminum so you want to be careful not to strip the threads.  Could be a
very expensive mistake.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6