Re: Bent Mounting Bracket

To: KincerC@area.abcbank.com (Chris Kincer)
Subject: Re: Bent Mounting Bracket
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 00:05:55 -0700 (PDT)
Chris---The shim(s) that you're referring to is what sets the camber on
the front wheel(s). I know it's listed as an "alignment" shim, and I
suppose it could be called that. (I always think of "toe" when someone
speaks of alignment."

Briefly, when it's necessary to change the camber, or said another way
when the top of the front tire is leaning in or out as compared to the
bottom of the same tire, these shims come into play. Adding a shim to
both the front and rear bracket pushes out the lower wishbone arms. In
doing so it causes bottom of the tire to go out, and the top to go in,
creating less positive camber. The opposite happens, of course, when
shims are removed from behind these brackets. The later TR's have these
adjustments, and front ends can be set up with lots of negative camber,
if desired, for slaloming and such.   Camber can be checked pretty
accurately by placing a straight edge (anything) 15 inches long, against
the wheel itself. Then placing a bubble level against this in a vertical
position. (I use a 2X2 that I know is straight.)

Front wheel alignment for toe, is made simply by adjusting the tie rod
ends.

Alignment for the rear wheels is made by adding or subtracting shims
from between the trailing arm brackets and the frame. This is kind of a
windy explanation I know, but just skimmed the surface on the topic.
Anyone who needs more info can write me direct...

Dick T
'73