Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Leaking Help!!!!

To: jdhenn@prodigy.net (jdhenn)
Subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Leaking Help!!!!
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:16:15 -0700 (PDT)
Jim---I won't go into the pro's and cons of different kinds of fluid
that can be used on our cars, but rather stay with what I think you can
do to stop your leaking slave cylinder. First of all the longer push rod
that was installed at the Slave does nothing to make  clutch work
better. Someone's tried to help disengage the clutch with a longer push
rod coming out of the slave.This only works the first time you push in
the clutch pedal, as the return action of the clutch diaphragm fingers
will now push that "longer" rod farther back into the slave bore. This
system is completely hydraulic, unlike some of the older TR's, (which
were adjustable.)  What does happen with a rod length change is the
operating part of the bore moves from where it was designed and machined
to operate, into a "new" section of the bore. It's possible part of the
area it's moving back and forth in isn't as smooth as it should be, for
maximum seal life.

In short, put a standard rod back in, check or polish the bore where the
seal rides, put the clevis pin back in the center (of the three) hole,
replace the seal, and pump the pedal a couple of times to take up any
slack. If other areas of your hydraulic system is up to snuff, you
should have no problem after doing this. If your mechanic disagrees with
any of this, I'd be glad to discuss it further.

Dick Taylor
CF11143
L.A.