RE: TR6 WHICH IS THE BEST

To: "'Gabriel Ige '" <gige@global-merchants.com>,
Subject: RE: TR6 WHICH IS THE BEST
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 01:30:26 -0600

Gabriel Ige wrote:

>which year is the best of the TR6's?
>Since I have a . . . 73 and 71 . . .
>When I a done making a whole one out
>of these other two, which one is best
>to keep?

Possible answers:

1) The one that runs.

2) The one with the intact VIN plate

3) Doesn't matter what year you decide to call it - the car you end up with
will be a 71/73

4) Doesn't matter - they're both equally "good" and both are classified as
an "Early" TR6 by VTR for concours purposes.

5) Call the resulting car a '71 model if:
          its gearbox number starts with "CD"
          its inlet manifold number has an "L" suffix
          its fuel tank holds more than 10.25 gallons
          it has a single-pipe exhaust
          it has a moveable heater intake flap
          the overdrive is an "A" type

6) Call it a '73 if:
          the gearbox has the Stag internals
          it has a voltmeter instead of an ammeter
          it has a black front spoiler
          the instruments have chrome bezels
          the heater intake is a fixed black plastic grille
          the diameter of the steering is 14.5"
          the wheel centers are silver
          the wiper blades are black

My own car has parts from all TR6 models from 1969 through 1974. I just call
it a "TR6".

Jim Hill
Madison WI