RE: Sythetic Oil

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Sythetic Oil
From: William Whitmoyer <wdwhitmoyer@sprintmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:53:38 -0500
Fully-synthetic oil helps my TR6 run cooler in the summer, and should ease
maintenance start ups in the winter.  Partial synthetics or mixing one
quart synthetic with mineral oils is a waste, as the mineral oil dilutes
the synthetic additive package.  Racers tend to like synthetics for the
extra protection, and I've seen this on my CRX track car which I beat
regularly at high RPMs. If you have an old sludgy engine, synthetic is a
waste, but for an engine in good condition or a recently rebuilt engine,
I've seen good benefits with synthetics, and the extra cost is good
insurance as I only change my oil 2 times a year.  One note of caution
which explains my point: newly rebuilt engines should not be run on
synthetics for the first 1K, as its superior lubrication properties do not
allow the rings to seat properly....use only mineral oils to allow some
wear.

My maybe-not-as-humble-as-I-should-be opinion

William
69 TR6
90 BMW iX
91 CRX Si