Re: Lucas sport coil

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas sport coil
From: "Russ Pagano" <pagano@home.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:58:53 -0500
Bob,
    Check out Dan Masters' article on Sport Coils, ballast resistors and
how to bypass the ballast at http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.html.
To put it simply, the advantage is a higher voltage spark and better
combustion assuming you gap the plugs wider to take advantage of this.
In practice when I installed the Lucas sport coil on my '71 with plugs
gapped to 0.35" I did notice a very slightly smoother idle but mostly I
never had a fouled plug which occasionally occurred before. However
in the recent cold weather here (<20 degF) it is harder to start and I'm
wondering if the wider gap is the culprit.  IMHO I don't think you will get
easier tuning or timing or noticeably better performance. Maybe better
reliability as in my case with longer plug life so it was worth the $40 to
me.
Also, I find the gold case aesthetically pleasing.
Russ
71 TR6
Columbia, MD