Subject: [WPTA] 1977 Triumph Spitfire gas flap obstruction

From: Tim Prell via Wpta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 06:52:47 -0400

--===============2527527179787495159==

--0000000000000d99af061dd3d90c

My 1977 Spitfire has a factory gas flap in the fuel inlet neck that I've
read was originally intended to help ensure the correct gas nozzle was used
for the model. Today it obstructs the new style pressure sensing fuel
nozzles from entering far enough to open the flap, and therefore spills gas
all over the rear deck. One of my two local choices for non-ethanol fuel
(Sheetz in Butler) converted to the new style recently and is a problem now.

My question is whether anyone has removed the fuel neck from a later model
Spitfire and can it be done easily and safely without removing the entire
tank? I need to get rid of this obstruction as there are fewer of the old
style fuel pump nozzles every day and I don't want to use a screw driver or
goofy funnel every time I fill the tank.

Appreciate your responses (please hold the sarcasm)!

thanks,
Tim

--0000000000000d99af061dd3d90c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">My 1977 Spitfire has a factory gas flap in the fuel inlet =
neck that I&#39;ve read was originally intended to help ensure the correct =
gas nozzle was used for the model. Today it obstructs the new style pressur=
e sensing fuel nozzles from entering far enough to open the flap, and there=
fore spills gas all over the rear deck. One of my two local choices for non=
-ethanol fuel (Sheetz in Butler) converted to the new style recently and is=
 a problem now.<div><br></div><div>My question is whether anyone has remove=
d the fuel neck from a later model Spitfire and can it be done easily and s=
afely without removing the entire tank? I need to get rid of this obstructi=
on as there are fewer of the old style fuel pump nozzles every day and I do=
n&#39;t want to use a screw driver=C2=A0or goofy funnel every time I fill t=
he tank.</div><div><br></div><div>Appreciate your responses (please hold th=
e sarcasm)!</div><div><br></div><div>thanks,</div><div>Tim</div></div>

--0000000000000d99af061dd3d90c--

--===============2527527179787495159==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

-------------------------------------

http://www.wptriumph.org

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2527527179787495159==--