Subject: [WPTA] 1500 Spitfire oil pump install

From: Tim Prell via Wpta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:13:55 -0400

--000000000000b6e3b405ffab9250

--000000000000b6e3b205ffab924e

I started the process of replacing thrust washers in my 77 Spitfire this
spring and after encouragement from a Triumph Spitfire restoration and
support forum, also tried replacing main bearings and rod bearings in
place.(for better or worse). In order to access the mid-crank rod bearing
bolts, I removed the oil pump (cover plate, inner rotor, outer rotor shaft
assembly). Now that all the work is complete and the engine spins as
expected, the oil pump inner rotor and shaft will not slide fully back into
place - it fits into its slot but stops at ~ 1 - 1.5" from fully inserted.
I can see the slot at the end of the distributor assembly and a second
opening in a plate for the inner rotor and shaft to slip through which must
be blocking the shaft. The inner rotor shaft assembly spins easily. Any
ideas on what can be displaced that won't allow the shaft to completely
slide into place would be helpful. Nothing was moved or loosened at the
distributor - I only worked on the lower end to replace thrust washers and
main plus rod bearings. Some pics attached.

thanks for feedback (at least serious feedback :-).

Tim

--000000000000b6e3b205ffab924e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail-xdj266r gmail-x11i5rnm gmail-xat24cr g=
mail-x1mh8g0r gmail-x1vvkbs gmail-x126k92a" style=3D"margin:0px;font-family=
:&quot;Segoe UI Historic&quot;,&quot;Segoe UI&quot;,Helvetica,Arial,sans-se=
rif;color:rgb(5,5,5);font-size:18.75px"><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-fam=
ily:inherit">I started the process of replacing thrust washers in my 77 Spi=
tfire this spring and after encouragement from a Triumph Spitfire restorati=
on and support forum, also tried replacing main bearings and rod bearings i=
n place.(for better or worse). In order to access the mid-crank rod bearing=
 bolts, I removed the oil pump (cover plate, inner rotor, outer rotor shaft=
 assembly). Now that all the work is complete and the engine spins as expec=
ted, the oil pump inner rotor and shaft will not slide fully back into plac=
e - it fits into its slot but stops at ~ 1 - 1.5&quot; from fully inserted.=
 </div></div><div class=3D"gmail-x11i5rnm gmail-xat24cr gmail-x1mh8g0r gmai=
l-x1vvkbs gmail-xtlvy1s gmail-x126k92a" style=3D"margin:0.5em 0px 0px;font-=
family:&quot;Segoe UI Historic&quot;,&quot;Segoe UI&quot;,Helvetica,Arial,s=
ans-serif;color:rgb(5,5,5);font-size:18.75px"><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"fo=
nt-family:inherit">I can see the slot at the end of the distributor assembl=
y and a second opening in a plate for the inner rotor and shaft to slip thr=
ough which must be blocking the shaft. The inner rotor shaft assembly spins=
 easily. Any ideas on what can be displaced that won&#39;t allow the shaft =
to completely slide into place would be helpful. Nothing was moved or loose=
ned at the distributor - I only worked on the lower end to replace thrust w=
ashers and main plus rod bearings. Some pics attached.</div><div dir=3D"aut=
o" style=3D"font-family:inherit"><br></div><div style=3D"font-family:inheri=
t">thanks for feedback (at least serious feedback :-).</div><div style=3D"f=
ont-family:inherit"><br></div><div style=3D"font-family:inherit">Tim</div><=
/div></div>

--000000000000b6e3b205ffab924e--

--000000000000b6e3b405ffab9250
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Spitfire 1500 oil pump parts.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_ljohltjf1>

--000000000000b6e3b405ffab9250
Content-Disposition: attachment; 
	filename="Spitfire 1500 oil pump diagram.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_ljohltih0>

--000000000000b6e3b405ffab9250
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Spitfire 1500 oil pump.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_ljohltjm2>

--000000000000b6e3b405ffab9250
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

-------------------------------------

http://www.wptriumph.org

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--000000000000b6e3b405ffab9250--