Subject: Re: [TR] The List is Less Busy These Days

From: Mark Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2025 15:44:22 -0700

On 12/12/25 2:10 PM, Will Daehler wrote:
> Certainly the volume is down.
> But I am still here, and read the digest most days, for about 28 years.
> During this time, I learned so much from all of you, and early on 
> developed friends who helped me immensely. They shared parts, knowledge, 
> and tools.
> Without you guys and Mark's early computer skills,  all would have been 
> lost.
> Recently we have sort of re-assmbled on various Facebook sites.
> 
> Will Daehler
> 63 TR4

A lot has changed over the last 35 years or so.  When I took over from 
Jim Muller, who took over from Dale Cook, back in the late 80s the 
"Internet" was still a wet behind the ears baby.  These days, wow, 
completely different!

This list is a fragment of the original british-cars list.  But one 
thing has not changed, and that is my commitment to providing this 
content as best I can, free of charge.  Sure there were times when I did 
*everything* by hand, one request at a time, for email address changes, 
additions, deletions.  There were times I was belittled for making what 
seemed like arbitrary decisions to the unaware observer. There were 
times I worked 20 - 30 hours a week on Team dot Net, even before it was 
Team dot Net.

These days my workload is way down, thanks to automated email list 
software.  But things are always changing when it comes to computers. 
These days it is all still running, but who knows for how long.

Mailman 2, the version I have running on the Team Net server, was 
released in April of 2004.  It has long since been shuffled off to 
inactive status as far as the folks maintaining it are concerned.  But 
still it chugs along, these days pieced together with chewing gum and 
baling wire.

In case you are wondering:

  [root@autox data]# uptime
  15:13:45 up 876 days, 21:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.61, 0.55, 0.59
  [root@autox data]# uname -a
  Linux autox 5.3.11-100.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 12 20:41:25 UTC 2019 
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yes, the server has not been booted for about 2 and a half years.  The 
fc29 in the uname output is the level of Fedora running, last updated in 
2019.  My personal computer is at revision 41.  A LOT has changed.  I 
fear that if the server goes down, it may never come back up cleanly on 
its own.  I am hoping to make it go for at least 1,000 days of 
continuous running.  But I'll burn that bridge before we cross it, or 
however the saying goes.

For now, there are people who still enjoy these old lists, still finding 
them useful, and a lot more appealing than mass market social media 
outlets, with advertising you need to wade through to find anything 
worthwhile.

And as long as I am able, I will keep it that way.  Enjoy the coming 
festive season!

mjb.

ps:  A week before the winter solstice, and I just got back from a top 
down drive with the British Motor Club of Utah.  Sunny, mid 50s here in 
the Salt Lake area.  Unreal!

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Randy and Valerie DeRuiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2025 15:50:33 +0000

I am a relative newby with about 20 years of team.net under my belt but have always found it so very useful - people as well as the treasure trove of net wisdom Mark has kept up.

Thanks so much for this Mark and I hope many more years to come.

Randy
Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 14, 2025, at 5:05 PM, Mark Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> During this time, I learned so much from all of you, and early on developed friends who helped me immensely. They shared parts, knowledge, and tools.
>> Without you guys and Mark's early computer skills,  all would have been lost.
> A lot has changed over the last 35 years or so.  When I took over from Jim Muller, who took over from Dale Cook, back in the late 80s the "Internet" was still a wet behind the ears baby.  These days, wow, completely different!
>
> This list is a fragment of the original british-cars list.  But one thing has not changed, and that is my commitment to providing this content as best I can, free of charge.  Sure there were times when I did *everything* by hand, one request at a time, for email address changes, additions, deletions.  There were times I was belittled for making what seemed like arbitrary decisions to the unaware observer. There were times I worked 20 - 30 hours a week on Team dot Net, even before it was Team dot Net.
>
> These days my workload is way down, thanks to automated email list software.  But things are always changing when it comes to computers. These days it is all still running, but who knows for how long.
>
> Mailman 2, the version I have running on the Team Net server, was released in April of 2004.  It has long since been shuffled off to inactive status as far as the folks maintaining it are concerned.  But still it chugs along, these days pieced together with chewing gum and baling wire.
>
> Linux autox 5.3.11-100.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 12 20:41:25 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Yes, the server has not been booted for about 2 and a half years.  The fc29 in the uname output is the level of Fedora running, last updated in 2019.  My personal computer is at revision 41.  A LOT has changed.  I fear that if the server goes down, it may never come back up cleanly on its own.  I am hoping to make it go for at least 1,000 days of continuous running.  But I'll burn that bridge before we cross it, or however the saying goes.
>
> For now, there are people who still enjoy these old lists, still finding them useful, and a lot more appealing than mass market social media outlets, with advertising you need to wade through to find anything worthwhile.
>
> And as long as I am able, I will keep it that way.  Enjoy the coming festive season!
>
> mjb.
>
> ps:  A week before the winter solstice, and I just got back from a top down drive with the British Motor Club of Utah.  Sunny, mid 50s here in the Salt Lake area.  Unreal!
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2025 10:30:07 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3282044754295043871==
 boundary="------------qSI2OygTktPIN3AOCwcDA0m0"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------qSI2OygTktPIN3AOCwcDA0m0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On 12/14/25 2:44 PM, Mark Bradakis wrote:
> I took over from Jim Muller, who took over from Dale Cook, back in the 
> late 80s the "Internet" was still a wet behind the ears baby. These 
> days, wow, completely different!

It was 1986 or 87 when Dale emailed me and asked if I wanted to be part 
of this new thing called an email list for British cars. He saw my TR3 
postings in USENETs rec.cars. I've been here ever since.

    TeriAnn

-- 

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and 
Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>
2 years to write and 38 years of travel and camping to learn what to write

*Because the world beckons and life waits for no one*

--------------qSI2OygTktPIN3AOCwcDA0m0
 boundary="------------hMjV9ckaWFOckOyhO3zxbPYD"

--------------hMjV9ckaWFOckOyhO3zxbPYD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/14/25 2:44 PM, Mark Bradakis
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"> I
      took over from Jim Muller, who took over from Dale Cook, back in
      the late 80s the "Internet" was still a wet behind the ears baby. 
      These days, wow, completely different!
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <p><font size="4" face="Adobe Garamond">It was 1986 or 87 when Dale
        emailed me and asked if I wanted to be part of this new thing
        called an email list for British cars. He saw my TR3 postings in
        USENETs rec.cars. I've been here ever since.</font></p>
    <p><font size="4" face="Adobe Garamond">   TeriAnn<br>
      </font></p>
    <p><font size="4" face="Adobe Garamond">   <img
          src="cid:[email-masked]"
          moz-do-not-send="false"><br>
      </font></p>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <p align="center"><a href="http://overlandtravel.us">Book - The
          Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
          Canada</a>
        <br>
        2 years to write and 38 years of travel and camping to learn
        what to write<br>
        <br>
        <b>Because the world beckons and life waits for no one</b></p>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>
--------------hMjV9ckaWFOckOyhO3zxbPYD
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="lifes too short TR3.jpg"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------hMjV9ckaWFOckOyhO3zxbPYD--

--------------qSI2OygTktPIN3AOCwcDA0m0--

--===============3282044754295043871==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3282044754295043871==--