Subject: Re: [TR] Maybe the last lunch

From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 04:17:23 +0000

--===============1873887321761863668==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_0025a91ff38e4d4fb2e51d4fc7ac9a27ranteercom_"

--_000_0025a91ff38e4d4fb2e51d4fc7ac9a27ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Cheers!!  And a hearty toast to all, past, present, and to future generatio=
ns

-------- Original message --------
From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: 12/22/23 10:07 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Maybe the last lunch

For at least the last thirty years, I have attended a self-funded Christmas=
 lunch held in Coventry for former employees of Standard-Triumph=92s Home a=
nd Export Sales departments, Export Shipping, Dealer Development, Advertisi=
ng and staff from the Parts Division. These were what anyone visiting the b=
uilding known as Fletch South would have encountered had they arrived at th=
at location. All in all, about 250-300 people tops. My first lunch back in =
1992 (I=92d been living overseas until then) saw a total headcount of about=
 180 and over the years that followed we always drank a toast in memory of =
those who had died during the previous year or who were absent through ill =
health. During the pandemic and the two lockdowns of 2020 and 2021, we didn=
=92t have a Christmas lunch because of infection risk but we do know too ma=
ny people died through COVID, cancer or just old age. Today was sobering fo=
r all of us as only 10 place settings were at our usual table and the Memor=
ial Toast was for 49 people who were hale, hearty, life and soul, happy and=
 jolly at the 2019 lunch which everyone today also attended.
It seems but only yesterday we were all together working for one objective,=
 young women, young men, together with many more older examples of the same=
. And in a finger snap, but just a few survive and for maybe only a little =
while longer? Who knows? How many place settings for the 2024 lunch? I=92d =
rather not ponder that.

Jonmac
** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archiv=
e

teer.com

--_000_0025a91ff38e4d4fb2e51d4fc7ac9a27ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Exchange Server">
<!-- converted from text --><style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; pad=
ding-left: 4pt; border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
</head>
<body>
<div dir=3D"auto">Cheers!!&nbsp; And a hearty toast to all, past, present, =
and to future generations&nbsp;
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>-------- Original message --------</div>
<div>From: John Macartney &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Date: 12/22/23 10:07 PM (GMT-06:00) </div>
<div>To: [email-masked] </div>
<div>Subject: [TR] Maybe the last lunch </div>
<div><br>
</div>
</div>
<font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;">
<div class=3D"PlainText">For at least the last thirty years, I have attende=
d a self-funded Christmas lunch held in Coventry for former employees of St=
andard-Triumph=92s Home and Export Sales departments, Export Shipping, Deal=
er Development, Advertising and staff
 from the Parts Division. These were what anyone visiting the building know=
n as Fletch South would have encountered had they arrived at that location.=
 All in all, about 250-300 people tops. My first lunch back in 1992 (I=92d =
been living overseas until then) saw
 a total headcount of about 180 and over the years that followed we always =
drank a toast in memory of those who had died during the previous year or w=
ho were absent through ill health. During the pandemic and the two lockdown=
s of 2020 and 2021, we didn=92t have
 a Christmas lunch because of infection risk but we do know too many people=
 died through COVID, cancer or just old age. Today was sobering for all of =
us as only 10 place settings were at our usual table and the Memorial Toast=
 was for 49 people who were hale,
 hearty, life and soul, happy and jolly at the 2019 lunch which everyone to=
day also attended.<br>
It seems but only yesterday we were all together working for one objective,=
 young women, young men, together with many more older examples of the same=
. And in a finger snap, but just a few survive and for maybe only a little =
while longer? Who knows? How many
 place settings for the 2024 lunch? I=92d rather not ponder that.<br>
<br>
Jonmac<br>
** [email-masked] **<br>
<br>
ate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp;
<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</div>
</span></font>
</body>
</html>

--_000_0025a91ff38e4d4fb2e51d4fc7ac9a27ranteercom_--

--===============1873887321761863668==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1873887321761863668==--

---

From: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 07:32:37 -0500

John, a tip of a Bass Ale to you and all those who served.  I have always appreciated your personal stories that covered all the emotions.  Just like this one, sad as it is.  Cheers to you.  My favorite that I still share with others when they comment on how sloppy the commission plate stampings look is the one where you told us triumph standard hired disabled RAF war vets to give them a job and some of them punched those plates as best they could.  To me they are perfectly imperfect!  
Merry Christmas to you
Jim Henningsen
Ocala, fl USA 

> On Dec 22, 2023, at 10:59 PM, John Macartney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> For at least the last thirty years, I have attended a self-funded Christmas lunch held in Coventry for former employees of Standard-Triumph’s Home and Export Sales departments, Export Shipping, Dealer Development, Advertising and staff from the Parts Division. These were what anyone visiting the building known as Fletch South would have encountered had they arrived at that location. All in all, about 250-300 people tops. My first lunch back in 1992 (I’d been living overseas until then) saw a total headcount of about 180 and over the years that followed we always drank a toast in memory of those who had died during the previous year or who were absent through ill health. During the pandemic and the two lockdowns of 2020 and 2021, we didn’t have a Christmas lunch because of infection risk but we do know too many people died through COVID, cancer or just old age. Today was sobering for all of us as only 10 place settings were at our usual table and the Memorial Toast was for 49 people who were hale, hearty, life and soul, happy and jolly at the 2019 lunch which everyone today also attended.
> It seems but only yesterday we were all together working for one objective, young women, young men, together with many more older examples of the same. And in a finger snap, but just a few survive and for maybe only a little while longer? Who knows? How many place settings for the 2024 lunch? I’d rather not ponder that.
> 
> Jonmac
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Fansher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 09:08:00 -0500

Merry Christmas with great memories of you with Fred Thomas and Ronnie Babbitt on one trip over and with Jere Dotten on another. More good memories of you and your son starting the North America Stag tour at our house in Florida. Thanks for all your wonderful stories. 
Tom Fansher
Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 23, 2023, at 8:35 AM, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:15:35 +0000

Jim, very many thanks for your kind words. The Sir John Black policy of recruiting vets affected all services, not just the RAF in isolation. We have in the UK an organisation called the Corps of Commissionaires. The Corps is made up of mostly Serjeants, Colour Sergeants and Sergeants Major. They provide reception services to large companies as they have their own uniforms and they’re always incredibly smart. We had these men at all reception points throughout the company in the UK, and in accordance with the John Black directive issued at the beginning of WW2, if any ex employee was later re-employed through honourable discharge, their retirement age would be when they wanted to leave and not at age 65. 
We had three Commissionaires in key locations in Coventry and all of them were in their late seventies. They were always scrupulously polite, immaculate in their uniforms and charming conversationalists. I used to talk to all of them as I was able and apart from the pleasure of having a chat, it was an opportunity to study their medal ribbons. All three men had won the Victoria Cross, our highest award for bravery and the man who worked the Sales Block reception desk had won it twice! But between all of them, anyone with the knowledge of medal ribbons could see they proudly wore the Victoria Cross, the Mons Star, the Distinguished Service Order, the Gallipoli medal and the Military Cross, plus the various other general service and victory medals aka Pipsqueak and Wilfred. All those men had done WW1 from start to finish in the desert, in Greece, at sea and the horrors of trench warfare in France and Belgium. They were always very quiet but never a day passed without a nod of the head, a smile or a friendly greeting. The thing I remember about all of them was that even after a brief conversation on any subject, you parted company feeling better for having spoken to them. They were true gentlemen who had somehow survived the nightmares of close quarter engagement on many occasions and amazingly had not been sent mad through what they had seen or done. Those are the people I remember and respect the most.

Jonmac

> On 23 Dec 2023, at 12:32, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:55:45 +0000

John -

Thank you so much for your thoughts and especially you comments and reminiscing.  We all eagerly read your posts.  Please keep them coming.

Dave N

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of John Macartney
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2023 9:16 AM
To: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Maybe the last lunch

Jonmac

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
** [email-masked] **

---

From: Michael Marr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 17:16:42 +0000

Well, as is often the case, I learned something new about the country of my birth. When I were a lad, back in the 50s, many businesses, especially hotels, entertainment venues, and the headquarters of large corporations, would have a uniformed gentleman performing “gatekeeper” functions, supervising bell boys, staffing the reception desks etc. My dad always referred to these men as commissionaires, which I thought was a generic term. I had no idea that there was a formal organization of commissionaires, and I’m sure that many of those gentlemen were members of that august body. 

Apparently, the Corps was privatized several years ago and now operates as Corps Security. By tradition, the head of the company is the Monarch. 

Thanks, John, for waking up some old memory cells, as you often do.  Merry Christmas!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 23, 2023, at 10:30, John Macartney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: James Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:05:47 -0500

Awesome story and one of the reasons I love triumphs. I have six and I may have a problem. 😀

Jim Henningsen
Ocala FL 
61 3A
67 4A
67 250 CD2L
75 TR6 (2)
81 TR8 fourth to last built 

> On Dec 23, 2023, at 10:15 AM, John Macartney <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:39 -0500

--===============6474585918913789569==

--00000000000082cf57060d43ca97
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 4:40=E2=80=AFPM James Henningsen <[email-masked]=
> wrote:

> Awesome story and one of the reasons I love triumphs. I have six and I ma=
y
> have a problem. =F0=9F=98=80
>
>
I'm sure the only problem is that you don't have room for more!

--00000000000082cf57060d43ca97
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">=
<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 4:40=E2=80=AF=
PM James Henningsen &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">trguy75@gmail.=
com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"marg=
in:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1e=
x">Awesome story and one of the reasons I love triumphs. I have six and I m=
ay have a problem. =F0=9F=98=80<br>
<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>I&#39;m sure the only problem is that =
you don&#39;t have room for more!=C2=A0</div></div></div>

--00000000000082cf57060d43ca97--

--===============6474585918913789569==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6474585918913789569==--