Subject: [TR] Dot 5 brake fluid

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 08:43:06 -0400

Hello,

I need to get some dot 5 brake fluid but the brand TRF sold is no longer 
stocked.

Anyone have a source for Blue Magic Dot 5? Or an alternative?

Thanks,

Bob

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 15:32:05 -0400

I use DOT 5 in all of my LBC's for the same reasons Glenn gave.  

I know some folks complain that it can be hard to bleed the brakes with DOT
5 though. This is because while it isn't hygroscopic, it does collect air.
A friend showed me a jar of new from the bottle DOT 5. He put it in a glass
bell jar and pulled a vacuum on it. We watched it look like it was boiling
as the air came out of suspension.  If you don't have that kind of equipment
(I don't) just treat the DOT 5 containers gently, and pour slowly into the
master cylinder.

Joe McConlogue
'57 TR3, awaiting new rear seal
'74 Spit, awaiting engine overhaul
'56 MGA, in late stage restoration
'67 Alpine, laid up for a water pump

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 22:16:41 +0000 (UTC)

--===============7483187059039266015==
	boundary="----=_Part_977723_1848021895.1682893001279"

------=_Part_977723_1848021895.1682893001279
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 While it is true that DOT5 entraps air easily it also will give it up fair=
ly quickly.=C2=A0 They use it in vacuum pumps for that reason.=C2=A0 The tr=
ick I use is I will top up the reservoir and wait before I bleed.=C2=A0 A d=
ay if I can.=C2=A0 This allows any air to percolate out before it gets into=
 the closed system.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Sun, Apr 30, 2023 2:32 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] DOT 5 Brake Fluid

I use DOT 5 in all of my LBC's for the same reasons Glenn gave.=C2=A0=20

as the air came out of suspension.=C2=A0 If you don't have that kind of equ=
ipment

Joe McConlogue

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=C2=A0 http://www.team.net/a=
rchive

[email-masked]

------=_Part_977723_1848021895.1682893001279
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">While it is true that DOT5 entraps air easily it also will give it up fairly quickly.&nbsp; They use it in vacuum pumps for that reason.&nbsp; The trick I use is I will top up the reservoir and wait before I bleed.&nbsp; A day if I can.&nbsp; This allows any air to percolate out before it gets into the closed system.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both">
<div style="color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style="color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div><font size="4">Dave <br>
</font></div>

<div><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><br>
</span></div>
<br>
</div>
</div>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: [email-masked]<br>
To: [email-masked]<br>
Sent: Sun, Apr 30, 2023 2:32 pm<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] DOT 5 Brake Fluid<br>
<br>

<div dir="ltr">I use DOT 5 in all of my LBC's for the same reasons Glenn gave.&nbsp; <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">I know some folks complain that it can be hard to bleed the brakes with DOT<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">5 though. This is because while it isn't hygroscopic, it does collect air.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">A friend showed me a jar of new from the bottle DOT 5. He put it in a glass<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">bell jar and pulled a vacuum on it. We watched it look like it was boiling<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">as the air came out of suspension.&nbsp; If you don't have that kind of equipment<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">(I don't) just treat the DOT 5 containers gently, and pour slowly into the<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">master cylinder.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Joe McConlogue<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">'57 TR3, awaiting new rear seal<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">'74 Spit, awaiting engine overhaul<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">'56 MGA, in late stage restoration<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">'67 Alpine, laid up for a water pump<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">** <a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp; <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</div>
</font></div>
</div>

------=_Part_977723_1848021895.1682893001279--

--===============7483187059039266015==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7483187059039266015==--