Subject: Re: [TR] How to Re-align splines in OD to mate with transmission shaft?

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 09:28:21 -0400

If you have to loosen it anyway, is there any harm in completely
detaching it and replacing the gasket?

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 8:25 AM aribert neumann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I have the D-type.   Based on responses and a couple of videos I found, it appears that I need to reduce spring pressure no matter what to be able to get the splines loose enough to rotate.  So it looks like I need to loosen the fasteners that secure the castings on either side of item 26.   Image of D-type attached.  I can just imagine another (future) oil leak.    Still a bit surprised the splines shifted when all I did after removing was to pour solvent into the diff and slosh the solvent around.
>
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 7:35 AM DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> What model overdrive is it.  I have figured out the A-type and the J-type.  The J-type has an intermediate piece between the OD and the transmission that gets attached to the OD before being attached to the trans.  Either way the sun gear and the sprag clutch splines must be aligned with the cone clutch in the neutral position.  If it is in contact with either the ring gear or the brake ring the sun gear will not move and it must so you can align it with the sprag clutch.  Once that is done you can install the springs and the intermediate piece on the J-type and Bob's you uncle.
>>
>> The A-type is more tricky.  Since there is no intermediate piece to hold the clutch in place it will drop when you invert it to drop it onto the transmission and the bevel cut gears on the planetary gear set will cause the clutch to rotate out of position.  Of course the solution is to not invert the OD but to invert the transmission and lower IT onto the OD unit.  It's a little counter-intuitive but it works.
>>
>> I am not familiar with the D-type but if that is what you have it is probably similar to either the A-type or the D-type.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: aribert neumann <[email-masked]>
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Sent: Thu, Mar 30, 2023 10:09 pm
>> Subject: [TR] How to Re-align splines in OD to mate with transmission shaft?
>>
>> What is the trick to get the two sets of OD splines completely aligned?   My Bentley manual (GT6) says to use a long screwdriver - fat chance.   I even milled a piece of steel flat stock to mimic two opposing splines of the trans mainshaft with a taper/lead-in on the tip.   I have gently tapped the flat stock but the second set of splines is still offset  by about 1/16 of an inch and does not want to rotate into alignment.   I did not do any service of the OD other than to rinse and flush out the inside of the OD - not sure how the splines became misaligned.
>>
>> I've seen one video where someone loosens the bolts that hold the two aluminum casting housings sandwiched to the steel component to take the spring load off of the asm and make it easier to rotate the splines into alignment.   My OD has been nice and dry and I really do not want to create a potential oil leak path by partially separating these three components if I do not need to.
>> TIA - off in digest mode.
>> ** [email-masked] **
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: aribert neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:09:32 -0400

--000000000000df122305f850186b

--000000000000df122205f8501869
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I was able to easily align the splines once I backed off the nuts a bit
(only about 3/16 of an inch gap).  Once I had the gap I just wiggled my
"spline" tool to get alignment and then lifted the OD and lowered it over
the mainshaft (trans was sitting on the bellhousing with the mainshaft
pointing straight up.    I used an artist's brush to try to get a coating
of permatex gasket sealer into the gap (there is no gasket in this joint).

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 9:29=E2=80=AFAM Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]=
> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 8:25=E2=80=AFAM aribert neumann <[email-masked]=
om>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have the D-type.   Based on responses and a couple of videos I found,
> it appears that I need to reduce spring pressure no matter what to be abl=
e
> to get the splines loose enough to rotate.  So it looks like I need to
> loosen the fasteners that secure the castings on either side of item 26.
>  Image of D-type attached.  I can just imagine another (future) oil leak.
>   Still a bit surprised the splines shifted when all I did after removing
> was to pour solvent into the diff and slosh the solvent around.
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--000000000000df122205f8501869
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>I was able to easily align the splines once I backed =
off the nuts a bit (only about 3/16 of an inch gap).=C2=A0 Once I had the g=
ap I just wiggled my &quot;spline&quot; tool to get alignment and then lift=
ed the OD and lowered it over the mainshaft (trans was sitting on the bellh=
ousing with the mainshaft pointing straight up.=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I used an arti=
st&#39;s brush to try to get a coating of permatex gasket sealer into the g=
ap (there is no gasket in this joint).</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat,=
 Apr 1, 2023 at 9:29=E2=80=AFAM Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fishp=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">If you have to loosen =
it anyway, is there any harm in completely<br>
detaching it and replacing the gasket?<br>
<br>
On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 8:25=E2=80=AFAM aribert neumann &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<=
br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have the D-type.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Based on responses and a couple of vide=
os I found, it appears that I need to reduce spring pressure no matter what=
 to be able to get the splines loose enough to rotate.=C2=A0 So it looks li=
ke I need to loosen the fasteners that secure the castings on either side o=
f item 26.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Image of D-type attached.=C2=A0 I can just imagine a=
nother (future) oil leak.=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Still a bit surprised the splines sh=
ifted when all I did after removing was to pour solvent into the diff and s=
losh the solvent around.<br>
&gt;<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
</blockquote></div></div>

--000000000000df122205f8501869--

--000000000000df122305f850186b
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="IMG_20230331_144100481 (1).jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_lfypem5k0>

--000000000000df122305f850186b
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="IMG_20230331_144109633 (1).jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_lfypem5v1>

--000000000000df122305f850186b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--000000000000df122305f850186b--