Subject: Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding experience - 2nd attempt, part2

From: aribert neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 22:54:44 -0400

--000000000000ce5cac05f774478f

--000000000000ce5caa05f774478d

Paul - thank you for your response.   I was in the process of trying to
stack the bushes, etc when I discovered the main shaft being oversize.
 Guessing RTFM refers to reading the manual?    The pertinent pages have
gotten quite stained from my greasy finger prints.

By clip I presume you are referring to the split collars - correct?   I did
not notice that there was a difference in the edges - maybe that was why
when I was checking the stack up of parts aft of the split collar the split
collars rotated as I turned first gear even though the stack up of parts
was in the tolerance range.   I need to go have a closer look at the
collars - I did not notice a difference in edges of the OD.  I do not
remember seeing any notation in the Bentleys about split collar
orientation.   I think you have answered my question about the cause of
the rotation of the split collars and prevented me from repeating the
problem!  Thank you!

For anyone else following along - the attached image is of first gear with
one (of the two) split collar placed in the pocket of the gear.  Since the
adjoining part facing this side of first gear is the shift hub (splined to
the main shaft, and the synchro keyed to the shift hub) the only way for
the collars to rotate relative to the shaft is if being driven by 1st gear.

From: Paul Tegler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding experience -
2nd attempt, part2

In prep for stacking gears on the main shaft, you need to pre-install the
bushes to determine the required thickness of the circlip You se the
clearance by selecting the right thickness washer.  As stated all too often
you need to RTFM.   improper assy will be short lived. You'll be pulling
the tranny again MUCH sooner than expected as 2nd gear CRUNCH will not be
avoidable when the clip goes out again.
*You even need to pay attention to which side of the clip faces the
splines. The SQUARE edge needs to face the spline lips.The rounded one
leads to exactly what has destroyed your shaft as pictured*

ptegler

--000000000000ce5caa05f774478d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Paul - thank you for your response.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I was in t=
he process of trying to stack the bushes, etc when I discovered the main sh=
aft being oversize.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Guessing RTFM refers to reading the manual?=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 The pertinent=C2=A0pages have gotten quite stained from my gr=
easy finger prints.=C2=A0 =C2=A0<div><br></div><div>By clip I presume you a=
re referring to the split collars - correct?=C2=A0 =C2=A0I did not notice t=
hat there was a difference=C2=A0in the edges - maybe that was why when I wa=
s checking the stack up of parts aft of the split collar the split collars =
rotated as I turned first gear even though the stack up of parts was in the=
 tolerance range.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I need to go have a closer look at the collar=
s - I did not notice a difference in edges of the=C2=A0OD.=C2=A0 I do not r=
emember seeing any notation in the Bentleys about split collar orientation.=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0I think you have answered my question about the=C2=A0cause of =
the=C2=A0rotation of the split collars and prevented me from repeating the =
problem!=C2=A0 Thank you!</div><div><br></div><div>For anyone else followin=
g along - the attached image is of first gear with one (of the two) split c=
ollar placed in the pocket of the gear.=C2=A0 Since the adjoining part faci=
ng this side of first gear is the shift hub (splined to the main shaft, and=
 the synchro keyed to the shift hub) the only way for the collars to rotate=
 relative to the shaft is if being driven by 1st gear.<br><div><br></div><d=
iv><br></div><div><br></div><div>From:=C2=A0Paul Tegler &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>Su=
bject:=C2=A0Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding experience=
 - 2nd attempt, part2<br><div><p>In prep for stacking gears on the main sha=
ft, you need to pre-install the bushes to determine the required thickness =
of the circlip You se the clearance by selecting the right thickness washer=
.=C2=A0 As stated all too often you need to RTFM.=C2=A0=C2=A0 improper assy=
 will be short lived. You&#39;ll be pulling the tranny again MUCH sooner th=
an expected as 2nd gear CRUNCH will not be avoidable when the clip goes out=
 again. <b>You even need to pay attention to which side of the clip faces t=
he splines. The SQUARE edge needs to face the spline lips.<br>The rounded o=
ne leads to exactly what has destroyed your shaft as pictured</b></p><p>pte=
gler</p></div></div></div></div>

--000000000000ce5caa05f774478d--

--000000000000ce5cac05f774478f
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="first gear w 1 split washer.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_lfj369zd0>

--000000000000ce5cac05f774478f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--000000000000ce5cac05f774478f--

---

From: Paul Tegler <[email-masked]> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.aol
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 00:35:06 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7625782033302692342==
 boundary="------------LwDqHHz0F7O0nLA2gMX1dILi"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------LwDqHHz0F7O0nLA2gMX1dILi
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

It looks like your bearing is shy of the edge of the gear! Stacking the 
bushes, your collars should be captured in the bush stack, not by the 
gear.  The clip thickness and which side I was referring to your 'non- 
reusable' circlip

ptegler

On 3/21/2023 10:54 PM, aribert neumann wrote:
> Paul - thank you for your response.   I was in the process of trying 
> to stack the bushes, etc when I discovered the main shaft being 
> oversize.   Guessing RTFM refers to reading the manual?    The 
> pertinent pages have gotten quite stained from my greasy finger prints.
>
> By clip I presume you are referring to the split collars - correct?  
>  I did not notice that there was a difference in the edges - maybe 
> that was why when I was checking the stack up of parts aft of the 
> split collar the split collars rotated as I turned first gear even 
> though the stack up of parts was in the tolerance range.   I need to 
> go have a closer look at the collars - I did not notice a difference 
> in edges of the OD.  I do not remember seeing any notation in the 
> Bentleys about split collar orientation.   I think you have answered 
> my question about the cause of the rotation of the split collars and 
> prevented me from repeating the problem!  Thank you!
>
> For anyone else following along - the attached image is of first gear 
> with one (of the two) split collar placed in the pocket of the gear.  
> Since the adjoining part facing this side of first gear is the shift 
> hub (splined to the main shaft, and the synchro keyed to the shift 
> hub) the only way for the collars to rotate relative to the shaft is 
> if being driven by 1st gear.
>
>
>
> Subject: Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding 
> experience - 2nd attempt, part2
>
> In prep for stacking gears on the main shaft, you need to pre-install 
> the bushes to determine the required thickness of the circlip You se 
> the clearance by selecting the right thickness washer  As stated all 
> too often you need to RTFM.   improper assy will be short lived. 
> You'll be pulling the tranny again MUCH sooner than expected as 2nd 
> gear CRUNCH will not be avoidable when the clip goes out again. *You 
> even need to pay attention to which side of the clip faces the 
> splines. The SQUARE edge needs to face the spline lips.
> The rounded one leads to exactly what has destroyed your shaft as 
> pictured*
>
> ptegler
>
>
> [email-masked]  **
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs   http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Paul Tegler
[email-masked]   www.teglerizer.com

--------------LwDqHHz0F7O0nLA2gMX1dILi
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>It looks like your bearing is shy of the edge of the gear!
      Stacking the bushes, your collars should be captured in the bush
      stack, not by the gear.  The clip thickness and which side I was
      referring to your 'non- reusable' circlip  <br>
    </p>
    <p>ptegler<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/21/2023 10:54 PM, aribert neumann
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">Paul - thank you for your response.   I was in the
        process of trying to stack the bushes, etc when I discovered the
        main shaft being oversize.   Guessing RTFM refers to reading the
        manual?    The pertinent pages have gotten quite stained from my
        greasy finger prints.   
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>By clip I presume you are referring to the split collars -
          correct?   I did not notice that there was a difference in the
          edges - maybe that was why when I was checking the stack up of
          parts aft of the split collar the split collars rotated as I
          turned first gear even though the stack up of parts was in the
          tolerance range.   I need to go have a closer look at the
          collars - I did not notice a difference in edges of the OD.  I
          do not remember seeing any notation in the Bentleys about
          split collar orientation.   I think you have answered my
          question about the cause of the rotation of the split collars
          and prevented me from repeating the problem!  Thank you!</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>For anyone else following along - the attached image is of
          first gear with one (of the two) split collar placed in the
          pocket of the gear.  Since the adjoining part facing this side
          of first gear is the shift hub (splined to the main shaft, and
          the synchro keyed to the shift hub) the only way for the
          collars to rotate relative to the shaft is if being driven by
          1st gear.<br>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>From: Paul Tegler &lt;<a
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
            Subject: Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission
            rebuilding experience - 2nd attempt, part2<br>
            <div>
              <p>In prep for stacking gears on the main shaft, you need
                to pre-install the bushes to determine the required
                thickness of the circlip You se the clearance by
                selecting the right thickness washer  As stated all too
                often you need to RTFM.   improper assy will be short
                lived. You'll be pulling the tranny again MUCH sooner
                than expected as 2nd gear CRUNCH will not be avoidable
                when the clip goes out again. <b>You even need to pay
                  attention to which side of the clip faces the splines.
                  The SQUARE edge needs to face the spline lips.<br>
                  The rounded one leads to exactly what has destroyed
                  your shaft as pictured</b></p>
              <p>ptegler</p>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Paul Tegler
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a></pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------LwDqHHz0F7O0nLA2gMX1dILi--

--===============7625782033302692342==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7625782033302692342==--