Subject: [TR] TR3 Rear Shock Rebuilding

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 08:24:38 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9009655014925318409==
 boundary="------------i4l464Ioif9SjP2OwGN0phl6"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------i4l464Ioif9SjP2OwGN0phl6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

      I just installed a set of NOS rear lever shocks on my TR3. I have 
had them about 25 years. When I took them out of the box, one of the 
shocks was full of oil and the other was dry. I filled that one with oil 
and installed them on the car. Dang! The empty one leaks slowly. I plan 
to send it off to World Wide Autoparts or Apple Hydraulics to be rebuilt.
      I have hoped that maybe I just overfilled the shock and it will 
just leak to a certain point and then stop leaking. Probably naive on my 
part, but one can hope.
      Question: Moss sells new hydraulic shocks for $199 or rebuilt 
shocks for $289 (+150 core charge). Does anyone have any experience with 
the "new" shocks? Are they "made in China"/County brand junk?
      Is there a risk of just having one shock rebuilt? I would rather 
not send in the other NOS shock to be rebuilt if it is new. My theory is 
that I will get one shock rebuilt and if the car still drives fine then 
leave it at that. If it feels like the two rear shocks are different, 
then I'll send in the second shock to be rebuilt.
      Are any of the shock rebuilders better than the others? Anyone 
have their shocks rebuilt at Apple Hydraulics or World Wide Auto Parts? 
Apple is $135 and World Wide is $85.

      Thanks.

      Bill Brewer
      Morro Bay, California

--------------i4l464Ioif9SjP2OwGN0phl6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="text " style="line-height: 1.3; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
      font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;
      font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal;
      font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing:
      normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
      text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
      word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
      text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style:
      initial; text-decoration-color: initial;">     I just installed a
      set of NOS rear lever shocks on my TR3. I have had them about 25
      years. When I took them out of the box, one of the shocks was full
      of oil and the other was dry. I filled that one with oil and
      installed them on the car. Dang! The empty one leaks slowly. I
      plan to send it off to World Wide Autoparts or Apple Hydraulics to
      be rebuilt.<br style="clear: both;">
           I have hoped that maybe I just overfilled the shock and it
      will just leak to a certain point and then stop leaking. Probably
      naive on my part, but one can hope.<br style="clear: both;">
           Question: Moss sells new hydraulic shocks for $199 or rebuilt
      shocks for $289 (+150 core charge). Does anyone have any
      experience with the "new" shocks? Are they "made in China"/County
      brand junk?<br style="clear: both;">
           Is there a risk of just having one shock rebuilt? I would
      rather not send in the other NOS shock to be rebuilt if it is new.
      My theory is that I will get one shock rebuilt and if the car
      still drives fine then leave it at that. If it feels like the two
      rear shocks are different, then I'll send in the second shock to
      be rebuilt.<br style="clear: both;">
           Are any of the shock rebuilders better than the others?
      Anyone have their shocks rebuilt at Apple Hydraulics or World Wide
      Auto Parts? Apple is $135 and World Wide is $85.<br style="clear:
        both;">
      <br style="clear: both;">
           Thanks.<br style="clear: both;">
      <br style="clear: both;">
           Bill Brewer<br style="clear: both;">
           Morro Bay, California</div>
    <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------i4l464Ioif9SjP2OwGN0phl6--

--===============9009655014925318409==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============9009655014925318409==--

---

From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 18:10:32 +0000

--===============8342899268479321006==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_a551f36a9a5741428e13e61cf47815b5ranteercom_"

--_000_a551f36a9a5741428e13e61cf47815b5ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Totally go with world wide.  I've had them do numerous shocks.   Have them =
put in the heavy duty valve; it's just a little stiffer and worth it.

As long as you are ok with pulling the second shock,  sending it out,  and =
having the car down for that period.

My feeling is that the "good" shock won't be for long.   It won't make a di=
fference in postage (use a usps priority mail box), the car will be down fo=
r the same period,  but you will be out an additional $85.  The "good" shoc=
k has sat for 25 years.   I think that's a bad bet.   Just my opinion

-------- Original message --------
From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: 9/1/22 10:49 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Rear Shock Rebuilding

     I just installed a set of NOS rear lever shocks on my TR3. I have had =
them about 25 years. When I took them out of the box, one of the shocks was=
 full of oil and the other was dry. I filled that one with oil and installe=
d them on the car. Dang! The empty one leaks slowly. I plan to send it off =
to World Wide Autoparts or Apple Hydraulics to be rebuilt.
     I have hoped that maybe I just overfilled the shock and it will just l=
eak to a certain point and then stop leaking. Probably naive on my part, bu=
t one can hope.
     Question: Moss sells new hydraulic shocks for $199 or rebuilt shocks f=
or $289 (+150 core charge). Does anyone have any experience with the "new" =
shocks? Are they "made in China"/County brand junk?
     Is there a risk of just having one shock rebuilt? I would rather not s=
end in the other NOS shock to be rebuilt if it is new. My theory is that I =
will get one shock rebuilt and if the car still drives fine then leave it a=
t that. If it feels like the two rear shocks are different, then I'll send =
in the second shock to be rebuilt.
     Are any of the shock rebuilders better than the others? Anyone have th=
eir shocks rebuilt at Apple Hydraulics or World Wide Auto Parts? Apple is $=
135 and World Wide is $85.

     Thanks.

     Bill Brewer
     Morro Bay, California

--_000_a551f36a9a5741428e13e61cf47815b5ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8">
</head>
<body>
Totally go with world wide.&nbsp; I've had them do numerous shocks.&nbsp; &=
nbsp;Have them put in the heavy duty valve; it's just a little stiffer and =
worth it.&nbsp;
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">As long as you are ok with pulling the second shock,&nbsp=
; sending it out,&nbsp; and having the car down for that period.&nbsp;</div=
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">My feeling is that the &quot;good&quot; shock won't be fo=
r long.&nbsp; &nbsp;It won't make a difference in postage (use a usps prior=
ity mail box), the car will be down for the same period,&nbsp; but you will=
 be out an additional $85.&nbsp; The &quot;good&quot; shock has sat for 25
 years.&nbsp; &nbsp;I think that's a bad bet.&nbsp; &nbsp;Just my opinion&n=
bsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>-------- Original message --------</div>
<div>From: William Brewer &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Date: 9/1/22 10:49 AM (GMT-06:00) </div>
<div>To: Triumph List &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Subject: [TR] TR3 Rear Shock Rebuilding </div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>
<div class=3D"text " style=3D"line-height:1.3; color:rgb(0,0,0); font-famil=
y:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weigh=
t:400; letter-spacing:normal; orphans:2; text-align:start; text-indent:0px;=
 text-transform:none; white-space:normal; widows:2; word-spacing:0px">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I just installed a set of NOS rear lever shocks on=
 my TR3. I have had them about 25 years. When I took them out of the box, o=
ne of the shocks was full of oil and the other was dry. I filled that one w=
ith oil and installed them on the car. Dang! The empty
 one leaks slowly. I plan to send it off to World Wide Autoparts or Apple H=
ydraulics to be rebuilt.<br style=3D"clear:both">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have hoped that maybe I just overfilled the shoc=
k and it will just leak to a certain point and then stop leaking. Probably =
naive on my part, but one can hope.<br style=3D"clear:both">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Question: Moss sells new hydraulic shocks for $199=
 or rebuilt shocks for $289 (&#43;150 core charge). Does anyone have any ex=
perience with the &quot;new&quot; shocks? Are they &quot;made in China&quot=
;/County brand junk?<br style=3D"clear:both">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is there a risk of just having one shock rebuilt? =
I would rather not send in the other NOS shock to be rebuilt if it is new. =
My theory is that I will get one shock rebuilt and if the car still drives =
fine then leave it at that. If it feels like the two
 rear shocks are different, then I'll send in the second shock to be rebuil=
t.<br style=3D"clear:both">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Are any of the shock rebuilders better than the ot=
hers? Anyone have their shocks rebuilt at Apple Hydraulics or World Wide Au=
to Parts? Apple is $135 and World Wide is $85.<br style=3D"clear:both">
<br style=3D"clear:both">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks.<br style=3D"clear:both">
<br style=3D"clear:both">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bill Brewer<br style=3D"clear:both">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Morro Bay, California</div>
<br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
<br>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_a551f36a9a5741428e13e61cf47815b5ranteercom_--

--===============8342899268479321006==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8342899268479321006==--