Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:29:46 -0700

--===============6262139107245793450==

--000000000000102be305dbc5e0ef

I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. I
can't recall  the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay person.
The Stag uses  basically the same used on most Triumphs.  There are a
couple of gears for speedo which are unique for speedo calibration.  The
shaft is difficult to source at a reasonable price here in USA.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I've been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts both
> here and those who have passed on.  I'm putting some of my parts on eBay.
> I thought I'd first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in case anyone is
> looking for one.  The first two digits of the serial number are 27 which
> from my research indicates it is from a Volvo and provides 27-28%
> overdrive.  (I'm seeing that in a post on triumphexp.com that discusses
> Laycock overdrive serial numbers.)
>
> I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.  Purchased off of eBay
> from a guy in Canada, I never installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my
> basement for at least 10 years.  All I can say is that the unit spins
> freely by hand, I can't speak to any other performance.
>
> I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate at $265
> and the mainshaft at $269.  I'm thinking I'd like to get somewhere in the
> neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.  I did check eBay, there is one rebuilt unit,
> overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at starting bid $800, buy it now
> $1,200.  That's how I'm coming up with my asking price.
>
> Thanks,
> Blake Discher
> 313-259-4460
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--000000000000102be305dbc5e0ef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a V=
olvo for Stag. I can&#39;t recall=C2=A0 the details. But it seemed a bit of=
 work for a lay person. The Stag uses=C2=A0 basically the same used on most=
 Triumphs.=C2=A0 There are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique fo=
r speedo calibration.=C2=A0 The shaft is difficult to source at a reasonabl=
e price here in USA.</div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" c=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher &lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
om</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margi=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20

   =20
 =20
  <div>
    <font face=3D"Avenir">Listers,<br>
      <br>
      I&#39;ve been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts
      both here and those who have passed on.=C2=A0 I&#39;m putting some of=
 my
      parts on eBay.=C2=A0 I thought I&#39;d first offer up a J-Type OD uni=
t here
      in case anyone is looking for one.=C2=A0 The first two digits of the
      serial number are 27 which from my research indicates it is from a
      Volvo and provides 27-28% overdrive.=C2=A0 (I&#39;m seeing that in a =
post
      on <a href=3D"http://triumphexp.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefer=
rer">triumphexp.com</a> that discusses Laycock overdrive serial
      numbers.)=C2=A0 <br>
      <br>
      I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.=C2=A0 </font><font fac=
e=3D"Avenir"><font face=3D"Avenir">Purchased off of eBay from a guy
        in Canada, </font>I never installed it on my TR6, it&#39;s sat in
      my basement for at least 10 years.=C2=A0 All I can say is that the un=
it
      spins freely by hand, I can&#39;t speak to any other performance.=C2=
=A0 <br>
      <br>
      I don&#39;t want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate a=
t
      $265 and the mainshaft at $269.=C2=A0 I&#39;m thinking I&#39;d like t=
o get
      somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.=C2=A0 I did check eBay=
,
      there is one rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at
      starting bid $800, buy it now $1,200.=C2=A0 That&#39;s how I&#39;m co=
ming up
      with my asking price.<br>
      <br>
      Thanks,<br>
      Blake Discher<br>
      313-259-4460<br>
    </font>
  </div>

** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">h=
ttp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000102be305dbc5e0ef--

--===============6262139107245793450==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6262139107245793450==--

---

From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:50:07 -0500

--===============0946358489058663948==

--00000000000086389005dbc6ffba

Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the transmission all the way
apart.  I did it, the transmission worked for about a year then stopped
going into second gear.  A lot more to the story, but ultimately decided I
had found that my level of incompetence with auto repair and will farm out
transmissions in the future (you can still save about half the cost by
pulling and installing yourself).

Greg Lemon
Triumph TR250

On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 3:30 PM Sujit Roy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--00000000000086389005dbc6ffba
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the transmis=
sion all the way apart.=C2=A0 I did it, the transmission worked for about a=
 year then stopped going into second gear.=C2=A0 A lot more to the story, b=
ut ultimately decided I had found that my level of incompetence with auto r=
epair and will farm out transmissions in the future (you can still save abo=
ut half the cost by pulling and installing yourself).<div dir=3D"auto"><br>=
</div><div dir=3D"auto">Greg Lemon</div><div dir=3D"auto">Triumph TR250</di=
v><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=
=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 3:30 PM Sujit Roy &lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:=
<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bord=
er-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">I remember the l=
ate Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. I can&#39;t recall=
=C2=A0 the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay person. The Stag =
uses=C2=A0 basically the same used on most Triumphs.=C2=A0 There are a coup=
le of gears for speedo which are unique for speedo calibration.=C2=A0 The s=
haft is difficult to source at a reasonable price here in USA.</div><br><di=
v class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 3=
, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bdischer.lists@blake=
discher.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">bdischer.lists@blakedisch=
er.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"m=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20

   =20
 =20
  <div>
      on <a href=3D"http://triumphexp.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">triumphexp.com</a> that discusses Laycock overdrive serial

** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/t=
riumphs</a>=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer=
 noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><b=
r>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/triumphstag@gmai=
l.com</a><br>
</blockquote></div>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000086389005dbc6ffba--

--===============0946358489058663948==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0946358489058663948==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:47:56 +0000 (UTC)

--===============0892526357243497299==
	boundary="----=_Part_1729933_347049079.1649072876658"

------=_Part_1729933_347049079.1649072876658
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 I did the same thing about 30 years ago and no regrets.=C2=A0 I've rebuilt=
 the transmission a couple times since, once because the main shaft was com=
promised ( a new one fixed that problem) and once due to layshaft bearing i=
ssues.=C2=A0 But it does leak and I have yet to figure out from where.

However. my paint and bodywork skills are abysmal.=C2=A0 I leave that to th=
ose with the right mental aptitude and experience.=C2=A0=20
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]>
To: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Cc: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Apr 3, 2022 4:50 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate

Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the transmission all the way a=
part.=C2=A0 I did it, the transmission worked for about a year then stopped=
 going into second gear.=C2=A0 A lot more to the story, but ultimately deci=
ded I had found that my level of incompetence with auto repair and will far=
m out transmissions in the future (you can still save about half the cost b=
y pulling and installing yourself).
Greg LemonTriumph TR250

I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. I c=
an't recall=C2=A0 the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay person=
. The Stag uses=C2=A0 basically the same used on most Triumphs.=C2=A0 There=
 are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique for speedo calibration.=
=C2=A0 The shaft is difficult to source at a reasonable price here in USA.
On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher <bdischer.lists@blakedischer.=
com> wrote:

  Listers,
=20
 I've been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts both her=
e and those who have passed on.=C2=A0 I'm putting some of my parts on eBay.=
=C2=A0 I thought I'd first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in case anyone is=
 looking for one.=C2=A0 The first two digits of the serial number are 27 wh=
ich from my research indicates it is from a Volvo and provides 27-28% overd=
rive.=C2=A0 (I'm seeing that in a post on triumphexp.com that discusses Lay=
cock overdrive serial numbers.)=C2=A0=20
=20
 I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.=C2=A0 Purchased off of eBay=
 from a guy in Canada, I never installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my basem=
ent for at least 10 years.=C2=A0 All I can say is that the unit spins freel=
y by hand, I can't speak to any other performance.=C2=A0=20
=20
 I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate at $265 an=
d the mainshaft at $269.=C2=A0 I'm thinking I'd like to get somewhere in th=
e neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.=C2=A0 I did check eBay, there is one rebuil=
t unit, overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at starting bid $800, buy it now=
 $1,200.=C2=A0 That's how I'm coming up with my asking price.
=20
 Thanks,
 Blake Discher
 313-259-4460
  ** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=C2=A0 http://www.team.net/a=
rchive

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=C2=A0 http://www.team.net/a=
rchive

mail.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archiv=
e

[email-masked]

------=_Part_1729933_347049079.1649072876658
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">I did the same thing about 30 years ago and no regrets.&nbsp; I've rebuilt the transmission a couple times since, once because the main shaft was compromised ( a new one fixed that problem) and once due to layshaft bearing issues.&nbsp; But it does leak and I have yet to figure out from where.<br>
</font></div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div><font size="3">However. my paint and bodywork skills are abysmal.&nbsp; I leave that to those with the right mental aptitude and experience.&nbsp; </font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both">
<div style="color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div><font size="4">Dave <br>
</font></div>

<div><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><img id="yiv1696909040Picture_x0020_2" style="width:1.9027in;min-height:0.5in;visibility:visible;" src="cid:eaPJicTKoEZuzQzbD2af" width="183" height="48" border="0"></span><font size="4"></font></div>
<br>
</div>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Greg Lemon &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: Sujit Roy &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Cc: Triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Sun, Apr 3, 2022 4:50 pm<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv7736068761">
<div>
<div>Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the transmission all the way apart.&nbsp; I did it, the transmission worked for about a year then stopped going into second gear.&nbsp; A lot more to the story, but ultimately decided I had found that my level of incompetence with auto repair and will farm out transmissions in the future (you can still save about half the cost by pulling and installing yourself).
<div><br clear="none"></div>

<div>Greg Lemon</div>

<div>Triumph TR250</div>

<div><br clear="none"></div>
</div>
<br clear="none">
<div class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">
<div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd62828" class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427">
<div dir="ltr" class="yiv7736068761gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 3:30 PM Sujit Roy &lt;<a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br clear="none"></div>
</div>
<blockquote style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;" class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">
<div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd73964" class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427">
<div>I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. I can't recall&nbsp; the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay person. The Stag uses&nbsp; basically the same used on most Triumphs.&nbsp; There are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique for speedo calibration.&nbsp; The shaft is difficult to source at a reasonable price here in USA.</div>
<br clear="none">
<div class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">
<div dir="ltr" class="yiv7736068761gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher &lt;<a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br clear="none"></div>
<blockquote style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;" class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">

<div>
    <font face="Avenir">Listers,<br clear="none">
      <br clear="none">
      I've been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts
      both here and those who have passed on.&nbsp; I'm putting some of my
      parts on eBay.&nbsp; I thought I'd first offer up a J-Type OD unit here
      in case anyone is looking for one.&nbsp; The first two digits of the
      serial number are 27 which from my research indicates it is from a
      Volvo and provides 27-28% overdrive.&nbsp; (I'm seeing that in a post
      on <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://triumphexp.com/">triumphexp.com</a> that discusses Laycock overdrive serial
      numbers.)&nbsp; <br clear="none">
      <br clear="none">
      I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.&nbsp; </font><font face="Avenir"><font face="Avenir">Purchased off of eBay from a guy
        in Canada, </font>I never installed it on my TR6, it's sat in
      my basement for at least 10 years.&nbsp; All I can say is that the unit
      spins freely by hand, I can't speak to any other performance.&nbsp; <br clear="none">
      <br clear="none">
      I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate at
      $265 and the mainshaft at $269.&nbsp; I'm thinking I'd like to get
      somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.&nbsp; I did check eBay,
      there is one rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at
      starting bid $800, buy it now $1,200.&nbsp; That's how I'm coming up
      with my asking price.<br clear="none">
      <br clear="none">
      Thanks,<br clear="none">
      Blake Discher<br clear="none">
      313-259-4460<br clear="none">
    </font>
  </div>

** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br clear="none">
<br clear="none">
Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp; <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear="none">
<br clear="none">
</blockquote></div>

** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br clear="none">
<br clear="none">
Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp; <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear="none">
<br clear="none">
<a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
<div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd50894" class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427"><br clear="none">
</div>
</blockquote></div>

<div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd25543" class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427">
</div>
</div>
</div>

<div class="yqt5052453427" id="yqtfd12300">** <a shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br clear="none"><br clear="none">Donate: <a shape="rect" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear="none">Archive: <a shape="rect" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs </a> <a shape="rect" href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear="none"><br clear="none">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape="rect" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br clear="none"></div>
</font></div>
</div>

------=_Part_1729933_347049079.1649072876658--

--===============0892526357243497299==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0892526357243497299==--

---

From: David P <[email-masked]> (ame8.swcp.com [216.184.2.128]); Mon, 04 Apr 2022 08:14:00 -0600 (MDT) NO_RELAYS,SPF_PASS,T_SCC_BODY_TEXT_LINE version=3.4.1
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:13:58 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1671055203959616794==
 boundary="------------dT3DKm010UrZewe60w7a2ieO"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------dT3DKm010UrZewe60w7a2ieO
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I recently purchased a used gearbox w/a J-type OD, only to find that the 
chassis mounting did not match. Another pit fall to consider if you 
aren't handy... Driveshaft must be shortened as well.. Having said 
that..70MPH at 2600

RPM is pretty sweet.  I also installed a 3.45:1 ring and pinion..  
dp          We drive too fast in NM  LOL

On 4/4/2022 5:47 AM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:
> I did the same thing about 30 years ago and no regrets.  I've rebuilt 
> the transmission a couple times since, once because the main shaft was 
> compromised ( a new one fixed that problem) and once due to layshaft 
> bearing issues.  But it does leak and I have yet to figure out from where.
>
> However. my paint and bodywork skills are abysmal.  I leave that to 
> those with the right mental aptitude and experience.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the transmission all the 
> way apart.  I did it, the transmission worked for about a year then 
> stopped going into second gear.  A lot more to the story, but 
> ultimately decided I had found that my level of incompetence with auto 
> repair and will farm out transmissions in the future (you can still 
> save about half the cost by pulling and installing yourself).
>
> Greg Lemon
> Triumph TR250
>
>
>     I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for
>     Stag. I can't recall  the details. But it seemed a bit of work for
>     a lay person. The Stag uses  basically the same used on most
>     Triumphs.  There are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique
>     for speedo calibration.  The shaft is difficult to source at a
>     reasonable price here in USA.
>
>     On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher
>     <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>         Listers,
>
>         I've been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the
>         experts both here and those who have passed on.  I'm putting
>         some of my parts on eBay.  I thought I'd first offer up a
>         J-Type OD unit here in case anyone is looking for one.  The
>         first two digits of the serial number are 27 which from my
>         research indicates it is from a Volvo and provides 27-28%
>         overdrive.  (I'm seeing that in a post on triumphexp.com
>         <http://triumphexp.com/> that discusses Laycock overdrive
>         serial numbers.)
>
>         I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate. Purchased off
>         of eBay from a guy in Canada, I never installed it on my TR6,
>         it's sat in my basement for at least 10 years.  All I can say
>         is that the unit spins freely by hand, I can't speak to any
>         other performance.
>
>         I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter
>         plate at $265 and the mainshaft at $269.  I'm thinking I'd
>         like to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.  I
>         did check eBay, there is one rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no
>         plate or shaft) at starting bid $800, buy it now $1,200. 
>         That's how I'm coming up with my asking price.
>
>         Thanks,
>         Blake Discher
>         313-259-4460
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
> [email-masked]  **
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs   http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here:WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/

--------------dT3DKm010UrZewe60w7a2ieO
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>I recently purchased a used gearbox w/a J-type OD, only to find
      that the chassis mounting did not match. Another pit fall to
      consider if you aren't handy... Driveshaft must be shortened as
      well.. Having said that..70MPH at 2600</p>
    <p>RPM is pretty sweet.  I also installed a 3.45:1 ring and
      pinion..  dp          We drive too fast in NM  LOL<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/4/2022 5:47 AM, DAVID MASSEY
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
        <div> <font size="3">I did the same thing about 30 years ago
            and no regrets.  I've rebuilt the transmission a couple
            times since, once because the main shaft was compromised ( a
            new one fixed that problem) and once due to layshaft bearing
            issues.  But it does leak and I have yet to figure out from
            where.<br>
          </font></div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div><font size="3">However. my paint and bodywork skills are
            abysmal.  I leave that to those with the right mental
            aptitude and experience.  </font><br>
        </div>
        <div> <br>
        </div>
        <div style="clear:both">
          <div style="color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica,
            sans-serif;">
            <div><font size="4">Dave <br>
              </font></div>
            <div><span
                style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><img
                  id="yiv1696909040Picture_x0020_2"
                  style="width:1.9027in;min-height:0.5in;visibility:visible;"
                  src="cid:eaPJicTKoEZuzQzbD2af" moz-do-not-send="true"
                  width="183" height="48" border="0"></span></div>
            <br>
          </div>
        </div>
        <div> <br>
        </div>
        <div> <br>
        </div>
        <div
          style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font
            size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
            From: Greg Lemon <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
            To: Sujit Roy <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
            Cc: Triumphs <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
            Sent: Sun, Apr 3, 2022 4:50 pm<br>
            Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft,
            plate<br>
            <br>
            <div id="yiv7736068761">
              <div>
                <div>Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the
                  transmission all the way apart.  I did it, the
                  transmission worked for about a year then stopped
                  going into second gear.  A lot more to the story, but
                  ultimately decided I had found that my level of
                  incompetence with auto repair and will farm out
                  transmissions in the future (you can still save about
                  half the cost by pulling and installing yourself).
                  <div><br clear="none">
                  </div>
                  <div>Greg Lemon</div>
                  <div>Triumph TR250</div>
                  <div><br clear="none">
                  </div>
                </div>
                <br clear="none">
                <div class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">
                  <div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd62828"
                    class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427">
                    <div dir="ltr" class="yiv7736068761gmail_attr">On
                      Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 3:30 PM Sujit Roy &lt;<a
                        rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                        ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        target="_blank"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br clear="none">
                    </div>
                  </div>
                  <blockquote style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px
                    #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"
                    class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">
                    <div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd73964"
                      class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427">
                      <div>I remember the late Randall Young converting
                        one from a Volvo for Stag. I can't recall  the
                        details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay
                        person. The Stag uses  basically the same used
                        on most Triumphs.  There are a couple of gears
                        for speedo which are unique for speedo
                        calibration.  The shaft is difficult to source
                        at a reasonable price here in USA.</div>
                      <br clear="none">
                      <div class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">
                        <div dir="ltr" class="yiv7736068761gmail_attr">On
                          Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher
                          &lt;<a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                            shape="rect"
                            ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            target="_blank"
                            href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br clear="none">
                        </div>
                        <blockquote style="margin:0 0 0
                          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
                          solid;padding-left:1ex;"
                          class="yiv7736068761gmail_quote">
                          <div> <font face="Avenir">Listers,<br
                                clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              I've been on the list many years, learned
                              a ton, envy the experts both here and
                              those who have passed on.  I'm putting
                              some of my parts on eBay.  I thought I'd
                              first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in
                              case anyone is looking for one.  The first
                              two digits of the serial number are 27
                              which from my research indicates it is
                              from a Volvo and provides 27-28%
                              overdrive.  (I'm seeing that in a post on
                              <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                                shape="rect" target="_blank"
                                href="http://triumphexp.com/"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">triumphexp.com</a>
                              that discusses Laycock overdrive serial
                              numbers.)  <br clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              I do have the mainshaft and the adapter
                              plate.  </font><font face="Avenir"><font
                                face="Avenir">Purchased off of eBay from
                                a guy in Canada, </font>I never
                              installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my
                              basement for at least 10 years.  All I can
                              say is that the unit spins freely by hand,
                              I can't speak to any other performance.  <br
                                clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer
                              has the adapter plate at $265 and the
                              mainshaft at $269.  I'm thinking I'd like
                              to get somewhere in the neighborhood of
                              $1,200 as-is.  I did check eBay, there is
                              one rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no plate
                              or shaft) at starting bid $800, buy it now
                              $1,200.  That's how I'm coming up with my
                              asking price.<br clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              Thanks,<br clear="none">
                              Blake Discher<br clear="none">
                              313-259-4460<br clear="none">
                            </font> </div>
                          ** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                            shape="rect"
                            ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            target="_blank"
                            href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>
                          **<br clear="none">
                          <br clear="none">
                          Donate: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                            shape="rect" target="_blank"
                            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                            clear="none">
                          Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener
                            noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank"
                            href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> 
                          <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                            shape="rect" target="_blank"
                            href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br
                            clear="none">
                          <br clear="none">
                          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a rel="nofollow noopener
                            noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br
                            clear="none">
                        </blockquote>
                      </div>
                      ** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                        shape="rect"
                        ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        target="_blank"
                        href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>
                      **<br clear="none">
                      <br clear="none">
                      Donate: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                        shape="rect" target="_blank"
                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                        clear="none">
                      Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"
                        shape="rect" target="_blank"
                        href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> 
                      <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                        target="_blank"
                        href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br
                        clear="none">
                      <br clear="none">
                      Unsubscribe/Manage: </div>
                    <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                      target="_blank"
                      href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                      moz-do-not-send="true"
                      class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
                    <div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd50894"
                      class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427"><br
                        clear="none">
                    </div>
                  </blockquote>
                </div>
                <div id="yiv7736068761yqtfd25543"
                  class="yiv7736068761yqt5052453427">
                </div>
              </div>
            </div>
            <div class="yqt5052453427" id="yqtfd12300">** <a
                shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>
              **<br clear="none">
              <br clear="none">
              Donate: <a shape="rect"
                href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank"
                moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                clear="none">
              Archive: <a shape="rect"
                href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
              </a> <a shape="rect" href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br
                clear="none">
              <br clear="none">
              Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape="rect"
                href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br
                clear="none">
            </div>
          </font></div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------dT3DKm010UrZewe60w7a2ieO--

--===============1671055203959616794==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1671055203959616794==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:55:42 +0000 (UTC)

--===============1712175297943421756==
	boundary="----=_Part_1835479_192074160.1649087742580"

------=_Part_1835479_192074160.1649087742580
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 I never found a need to shorten the driveshaft.=C2=A0=20

Fitting the J-type to a pre-'73 frame takes a little McGuiver-ing.=C2=A0 I =
did it.=C2=A0 Another member of our local club did it, too.
Hint: rubber washers are your friend.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: David P <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Mon, Apr 4, 2022 9:13 am
Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate

 I recently purchased a used gearbox w/a J-type OD, only to find that the c=
hassis mounting did not match. Another pit fall to consider if you aren't h=
andy... Driveshaft must be shortened as well.. Having said that..70MPH at 2=
600 RPM is pretty sweet.=C2=A0 I also installed a 3.45:1 ring and pinion..=
=C2=A0 dp=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 We drive to=
o fast in NM=C2=A0 LOL
  On 4/4/2022 5:47 AM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:
 =20
=20
  I did the same thing about 30 years ago and no regrets.=C2=A0 I've rebuil=
t the transmission a couple times since, once because the main shaft was co=
mpromised ( a new one fixed that problem) and once due to layshaft bearing =
issues.=C2=A0 But it does leak and I have yet to figure out from where.
 =20
  However. my paint and bodywork skills are abysmal.=C2=A0 I leave that to =
those with the right mental aptitude and experience.=C2=A0=20
  =20
    Dave=20
  =20
   =20
  =20
  -----Original Message-----
 From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]>
 To: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
 Cc: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
 Sent: Sun, Apr 3, 2022 4:50 pm
 Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate
=20
   Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the transmission all the wa=
y apart.=C2=A0 I did it, the transmission worked for about a year then stop=
ped going into second gear.=C2=A0 A lot more to the story, but ultimately d=
ecided I had found that my level of incompetence with auto repair and will =
farm out transmissions in the future (you can still save about half the cos=
t by pulling and installing yourself).=20
  Greg Lemon Triumph TR250=20
  =20
   On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 3:30 PM Sujit Roy <[email-masked]> wrote:
  =20
  I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. I=
 can't recall=C2=A0 the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay pers=
on. The Stag uses=C2=A0 basically the same used on most Triumphs.=C2=A0 The=
re are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique for speedo calibration=
.=C2=A0 The shaft is difficult to source at a reasonable price here in USA.=
=20
  On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher <bdischer.lists@blakedische=
r.com> wrote:
 =20
  Listers,
=20
 I've been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts both her=
e and those who have passed on.=C2=A0 I'm putting some of my parts on eBay.=
=C2=A0 I thought I'd first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in case anyone is=
 looking for one.=C2=A0 The first two digits of the serial number are 27 wh=
ich from my research indicates it is from a Volvo and provides 27-28% overd=
rive.=C2=A0 (I'm seeing that in a post on triumphexp.com that discusses Lay=
cock overdrive serial numbers.)=C2=A0=20
=20
 I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.=C2=A0 Purchased off of eBay=
 from a guy in Canada, I never installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my basem=
ent for at least 10 years.=C2=A0 All I can say is that the unit spins freel=
y by hand, I can't speak to any other performance.=C2=A0=20
=20
 I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate at $265 an=
d the mainshaft at $269.=C2=A0 I'm thinking I'd like to get somewhere in th=
e neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.=C2=A0 I did check eBay, there is one rebuil=
t unit, overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at starting bid $800, buy it now=
 $1,200.=C2=A0 That's how I'm coming up with my asking price.
=20
 Thanks,
 Blake Discher
 313-259-4460
   ** [email-masked] **
=20
 Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
 Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=C2=A0 http://www.team.net/=
archive
=20
 Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/triumph=
[email-masked]
=20
  ** [email-masked] **
=20
 Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
 Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=C2=A0 http://www.team.net/=
archive
=20
 Unsubscribe/Manage:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn=
@gmail.com=20
 =20
      ** [email-masked] **
=20
 Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
 Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archi=
ve
=20
 Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dave1ma=
[email-masked]
   =20
  ** [email-masked] **

porterscustom.com
 --=20
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My Wo=
rld go here: WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/ ** [email-masked] **

[email-masked]

------=_Part_1835479_192074160.1649087742580
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">I never found a need to shorten the driveshaft.&nbsp; <br>
</font></div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div><font size="3">Fitting the J-type to a pre-'73 frame takes a little McGuiver-ing.&nbsp; I did it.&nbsp; Another member of our local club did it, too.</font></div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div><font size="3">Hint: rubber washers are your friend.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both">

<div><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><img id="yiv1696909040Picture_x0020_2" style="width:1.9027in;min-height:0.5in;visibility:visible;" src="cid:eUbu4NFq5Y2YZTOzbDr9" width="183" height="48" border="0"></span><font size="4"></font></div>
<br>
</div>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: David P &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: [email-masked]<br>
Sent: Mon, Apr 4, 2022 9:13 am<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv9330489955">
<div>
    
<div>I recently purchased a used gearbox w/a J-type OD, only to find
      that the chassis mounting did not match. Another pit fall to
      consider if you aren't handy... Driveshaft must be shortened as
      well.. Having said that..70MPH at 2600</div>

<div>RPM is pretty sweet.&nbsp; I also installed a 3.45:1 ring and
      pinion..&nbsp; dp&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We drive too fast in NM&nbsp; LOL<br clear="none">
    </div>

<div id="yiv9330489955yqt13021" class="yiv9330489955yqt9990328586">
<div class="yiv9330489955moz-cite-prefix">On 4/4/2022 5:47 AM, DAVID MASSEY
      wrote:<br clear="none">
    </div>

    <blockquote type="cite">
      </blockquote></div>
</div>

<div id="yiv9330489955yqt28327" class="yiv9330489955yqt9990328586">
<div>
<div style="color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
        
<div> <font size="3">I did the same thing about 30 years ago
            and no regrets.&nbsp; I've rebuilt the transmission a couple
            times since, once because the main shaft was compromised ( a
            new one fixed that problem) and once due to layshaft bearing
            issues.&nbsp; But it does leak and I have yet to figure out from
            where.<br clear="none">
          </font></div>

<div><br clear="none">
        </div>

<div><font size="3">However. my paint and bodywork skills are
            abysmal.&nbsp; I leave that to those with the right mental
            aptitude and experience.&nbsp; </font><br clear="none">
        </div>

<div> <br clear="none">
        </div>

<div style="clear:both;">

<div><font size="4">Dave <br clear="none">
              </font></div>

<div><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><img id="yiv9330489955Picture_x0020_2" style="width:1.9027in;min-height:0.5in;visibility:visible;" src="" width="183" height="48" border="0"></span></div>

            <br clear="none">
          </div>

        </div>

<div> <br clear="none">
        </div>

<div> <br clear="none">
        </div>

<div style="font-family:arial, helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black;"><font size="2">-----Original Message-----<br clear="none">
            From: Greg Lemon <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br clear="none">
            To: Sujit Roy <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br clear="none">
            Cc: Triumphs <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br clear="none">
            Sent: Sun, Apr 3, 2022 4:50 pm<br clear="none">
            Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft,
            plate<br clear="none">
            <br clear="none">
            </font>
<div id="yiv9330489955">
              
<div>
                
<div>Since you switch mainshafts you have to take the
                  transmission all the way apart.&nbsp; I did it, the
                  transmission worked for about a year then stopped
                  going into second gear.&nbsp; A lot more to the story, but
                  ultimately decided I had found that my level of
                  incompetence with auto repair and will farm out
                  transmissions in the future (you can still save about
                  half the cost by pulling and installing yourself).
                  
<div><br clear="none">
                  </div>

<div>Greg Lemon</div>

<div>Triumph TR250</div>

<div><br clear="none">
                  </div>

                </div>

                <br clear="none">
                
<div class="yiv9330489955gmail_quote">
                  
<div id="yiv9330489955yqtfd62828" class="yiv9330489955yqt5052453427">
                    
<div dir="ltr" class="yiv9330489955gmail_attr">On
                      Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 3:30 PM Sujit Roy &lt;<a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br clear="none">
                    </div>

                  </div>

                  <blockquote style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;" class="yiv9330489955gmail_quote">
                    
<div id="yiv9330489955yqtfd73964" class="yiv9330489955yqt5052453427">
                      
<div>I remember the late Randall Young converting
                        one from a Volvo for Stag. I can't recall&nbsp; the
                        details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay
                        person. The Stag uses&nbsp; basically the same used
                        on most Triumphs.&nbsp; There are a couple of gears
                        for speedo which are unique for speedo
                        calibration.&nbsp; The shaft is difficult to source
                        at a reasonable price here in USA.</div>

                      <br clear="none">
                      
<div class="yiv9330489955gmail_quote">
                        
<div dir="ltr" class="yiv9330489955gmail_attr">On
                          Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher
                          &lt;<a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br clear="none">
                        </div>

                        <blockquote style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;" class="yiv9330489955gmail_quote">
                          
<div> <font face="Avenir">Listers,<br clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              I've been on the list many years, learned
                              a ton, envy the experts both here and
                              those who have passed on.&nbsp; I'm putting
                              some of my parts on eBay.&nbsp; I thought I'd
                              first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in
                              case anyone is looking for one.&nbsp; The first
                              two digits of the serial number are 27
                              which from my research indicates it is
                              from a Volvo and provides 27-28%
                              overdrive.&nbsp; (I'm seeing that in a post on
                              <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://triumphexp.com/">triumphexp.com</a>
                              that discusses Laycock overdrive serial
                              numbers.)&nbsp; <br clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              I do have the mainshaft and the adapter
                              plate.&nbsp; </font><font face="Avenir"><font face="Avenir">Purchased off of eBay from
                                a guy in Canada, </font>I never
                              installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my
                              basement for at least 10 years.&nbsp; All I can
                              say is that the unit spins freely by hand,
                              I can't speak to any other performance.&nbsp; <br clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer
                              has the adapter plate at $265 and the
                              mainshaft at $269.&nbsp; I'm thinking I'd like
                              to get somewhere in the neighborhood of
                              $1,200 as-is.&nbsp; I did check eBay, there is
                              one rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no plate
                              or shaft) at starting bid $800, buy it now
                              $1,200.&nbsp; That's how I'm coming up with my
                              asking price.<br clear="none">
                              <br clear="none">
                              Thanks,<br clear="none">
                              Blake Discher<br clear="none">
                              313-259-4460<br clear="none">
                            </font> </div>

                          ** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>
                          **<br clear="none">
                          <br clear="none">
                          Donate: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear="none">
                          Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp;
                          <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear="none">
                          <br clear="none">
                          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br clear="none">
                        </blockquote>
                      </div>

                      ** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>
                      **<br clear="none">
                      <br clear="none">
                      Donate: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear="none">
                      Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp;
                      <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear="none">
                      <br clear="none">
                      Unsubscribe/Manage: </div>

                    <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
                    
<div id="yiv9330489955yqtfd50894" class="yiv9330489955yqt5052453427"><br clear="none">
                    </div>

                  </blockquote>
                </div>

<div id="yiv9330489955yqtfd25543" class="yiv9330489955yqt5052453427">
                </div>

              </div>

            </div>

<div id="yiv9330489955yqtfd12300" class="yiv9330489955yqt5052453427">** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>
              **<br clear="none">
              <br clear="none">
              Donate: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear="none">
              Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
              </a> <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear="none">
              <br clear="none">
              Unsubscribe/Manage: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br clear="none">
            </div>

          </div>

      </div>

      <br clear="none">
      <fieldset class="yiv9330489955moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="yiv9330489955moz-quote-pre">** <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank" href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-abbreviated">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    
    <pre class="yiv9330489955moz-signature">-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: <a rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" shape="rect" target="_blank" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/" class="yiv9330489955moz-txt-link-abbreviated">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
  </div>
</div>
</div>

<div class="yqt9990328586" id="yqt12558">** <a shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br clear="none"><br clear="none">Donate: <a shape="rect" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear="none">Archive: <a shape="rect" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs </a> <a shape="rect" href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br clear="none"><br clear="none">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape="rect" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br clear="none"></div>
</font></div>
</div>

------=_Part_1835479_192074160.1649087742580--

--===============1712175297943421756==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1712175297943421756==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:08:48 -0600

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============2151824524719211745==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00D9_01D8480B.FC0CFF60"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00D9_01D8480B.FC0CFF60
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Remember that =E2=80=9CUncle Jack=E2=80=9D, the 1973 Triumph Stag =
restored by ISOA and used for the 2009 Triumph Trans AmeriCAN Charity =
Drive had a Laycock d=E2=80=99 Normanville =E2=80=9CVolvo=E2=80=9D J =
Type OD installed.

=20

I know because the J OD came from my personal stores.  I donated that to =
the Uncle Jack build to convert a rapidly sourced and donated =
transmission after the original sourced J OD 4 speed transmission =
disintegrated on its maiden test drive. =20

=20

The only issue was the Volvo uses a different output flange on the =
output shaft which needs to be changed to a Triumph flange to allow the =
Triumph (Prop) drive shaft to be bolted up.

=20

The standard drive (prop) shaft for a 4 speed then is a direct bolt up =
without modification.  The only drive (prop) shafts modifications I have =
seen are going from an automatic to a manual, the automatic drive (prop) =
shaft needs to be replaced with a manual style, which are indeed rare in =
the US, but can be fabricated.

=20

=20

Glenn Merrell, CAP

StagByTriumph Garage

aka Stag-By-Triumph Garage (on FaceBook)

Remember, =E2=80=9Cthe BEST trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone =
chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen =E2=80=A6 with the =
occasional smell of manure!=E2=80=9D

=20

=20

=20

From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Sujit Roy
Sent: Sunday, April 3, 2022 2:30 PM
To: Blake J. Discher <[email-masked]>
Cc: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate

=20

I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. =
I can't recall  the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay =
person. The Stag uses  basically the same used on most Triumphs.  There =
are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique for speedo =
calibration.  The shaft is difficult to source at a reasonable price =
here in USA.

=20

On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher =
<[email-masked] =

Listers,

I've been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts both =
here and those who have passed on.  I'm putting some of my parts on =
eBay.  I thought I'd first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in case anyone =
is looking for one.  The first two digits of the serial number are 27 =
which from my research indicates it is from a Volvo and provides 27-28% =
overdrive.  (I'm seeing that in a post on  <http://triumphexp.com> =
triumphexp.com that discusses Laycock overdrive serial numbers.) =20

I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.  Purchased off of eBay =
from a guy in Canada, I never installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my =
basement for at least 10 years.  All I can say is that the unit spins =
freely by hand, I can't speak to any other performance. =20

I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate at $265 =
and the mainshaft at $269.  I'm thinking I'd like to get somewhere in =
the neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.  I did check eBay, there is one =
rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at starting bid $800, =
buy it now $1,200.  That's how I'm coming up with my asking price.

Thanks,
Blake Discher
313-259-4460

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  =

------=_NextPart_000_00D9_01D8480B.FC0CFF60
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Avenir;
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Remember that =E2=80=9CUncle =
Jack=E2=80=9D, the 1973 Triumph Stag restored by ISOA and used for the =
2009 Triumph Trans AmeriCAN Charity Drive had a Laycock d=E2=80=99 =
Normanville =E2=80=9CVolvo=E2=80=9D J Type OD =
installed.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I know because the J OD came from my personal stores. =
=C2=A0I donated that to the Uncle Jack build to convert a rapidly =
sourced and donated transmission after the original sourced J OD 4 speed =
transmission disintegrated on its maiden test drive.=C2=A0 =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The only issue was the Volvo uses a different output =
flange on the output shaft which needs to be changed to a Triumph flange =
to allow the Triumph (Prop) drive shaft to be bolted =
up.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The standard drive (prop) shaft for a 4 speed then is =
a direct bolt up without modification.=C2=A0 The only drive (prop) =
shafts modifications I have seen are going from an automatic to a =
manual, the automatic drive (prop) shaft needs to be replaced with a =
manual style, which are indeed rare in the US, but can be =
fabricated.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Glenn Merrell, CAP<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>StagByTriumph =
Garage<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>aka Stag-By-Triumph Garage (<i>on =
FaceBook</i>)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Remember, =E2=80=9Cthe BEST trophies are: Miles =
on the Odometer; Stone chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the =
windscreen =E2=80=A6 with the occasional smell of =
manure!=E2=80=9D<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Triumphs =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Sujit =
Roy<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, April 3, 2022 2:30 PM<br><b>To:</b> Blake J. =
Discher &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Cc:</b> Triumphs =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock =
'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate<o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. I =
can't recall&nbsp; the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay =
person. The Stag uses&nbsp; basically the same used on most =
Triumphs.&nbsp; There are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique =
for speedo calibration.&nbsp; The shaft is difficult to source at a =
reasonable price here in USA.<o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>On =
Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">bdischer.lists@blakedisch=
er.com</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:5=
.0pt'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Avenir",serif'>Listers,<br><br>I've been on the =
list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts both here and those who =
have passed on.&nbsp; I'm putting some of my parts on eBay.&nbsp; I =
thought I'd first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in case anyone is =
looking for one.&nbsp; The first two digits of the serial number are 27 =
which from my research indicates it is from a Volvo and provides 27-28% =
overdrive.&nbsp; (I'm seeing that in a post on </span><a =
href=3D"http://triumphexp.com" target=3D"_blank"><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Avenir",serif'>triumphexp.com</span></a><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Avenir",serif'> that discusses Laycock overdrive =
serial numbers.)&nbsp; <br><br>I do have the mainshaft and the adapter =
plate.&nbsp; Purchased off of eBay from a guy in Canada, I never =
installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my basement for at least 10 =
years.&nbsp; All I can say is that the unit spins freely by hand, I =
can't speak to any other performance.&nbsp; <br><br>I don't want to =
break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate at $265 and the =
mainshaft at $269.&nbsp; I'm thinking I'd like to get somewhere in the =
neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.&nbsp; I did check eBay, there is one =
rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at starting bid $800, =
buy it now $1,200.&nbsp; That's how I'm coming up with my asking =
price.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Blake =
Discher<br>313-259-4460</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a> **<br><br>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Mana=
ge: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/triumphstag@gmail.=
com" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/triumphs=
[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p></p></blockquote></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00D9_01D8480B.FC0CFF60--

--===============2151824524719211745==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2151824524719211745==--