Subject: Re: [TR] Another Triumph loss

From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 21:34:37 +0000

--===============3637198778727737744==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_7e5a8bbf751b4ab59dc09b1f6a1d6fd7ranteercom_"

--_000_7e5a8bbf751b4ab59dc09b1f6a1d6fd7ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Any chance we could get you to share some of those stories?

-------- Original message --------
From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: 2/4/22 3:13 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Another Triumph loss

I=92m guessing that few, if any, on this list will recognise the name of Da=
vid Gleed. Until he retired DAVE worked for Standard-Triumph and BL/MG Rove=
r. He came to prominence when he worked in the Competitions Dept in Coventr=
y and along with the late Ray Henderson and a few other unsung stalwarts, g=
ot to work on the rally cars under Ken Richardson and travelled several tim=
es as part of the Works Team at Le Mans and many of the European rallies. D=
AVE=92s stories of starting and working on the Sabrina engined cars were le=
gendary - and he had many. DAVE=92s automotive love was his long door TR2 t=
hat got taken out and blasted around Coventry and district whenever the moo=
d took him - which was often. His thoughts on MVC 575 being cosseted like a=
 piece of Meissen porcelain were mostly very apt and hit the mark, though p=
erhaps not printable.
I got to renew my friendship with Dave when I was organising event days for=
 ST at BMIHT and I always knew he=92d be the first to book space for his st=
and where he sold unobtanium. No one knew his sources and he=92d never divu=
lge them but if you found yourself really stuck for a vital NLS component, =
Dave was the man to ask. He=92d find it, though there was always the chance=
 he=92d already got it stashed away in his storeroom and usually several mo=
re than just one.
He died rather suddenly earlier this month at age 86 with his devoted wife =
and fellow stall worker Margaret at his side. The Triumph fraternity has lo=
st a truly remarkable, kind, generous, caring, knowledgeable and incredibly=
 funny man who was imho one of the true =91Motor industry=92 greats of the =
post war years. An unsung hero if ever there was one and although I=92m eig=
ht years his junior, there=92s no doubt in my mind that Triumph enthusiasts=
 the world over have lost someone who was really special and truly one of a=
 kind. Bless you my lovely funny friend. You won=92t set your overalls slee=
ves on fire doing a cold start on a Sabrina engine now. God just won=92t al=
low that to happen in that Competitions Dept on the other side.

Jonmac
** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archiv=
e

teer.com

--_000_7e5a8bbf751b4ab59dc09b1f6a1d6fd7ranteercom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Exchange Server">
<!-- converted from text --><style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; pad=
ding-left: 4pt; border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
</head>
<body>
<div dir=3D"auto">Any chance we could get you to share some of those storie=
s?
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>-------- Original message --------</div>
<div>From: John Macartney &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Date: 2/4/22 3:13 PM (GMT-06:00) </div>
<div>To: [email-masked] </div>
<div>Subject: [TR] Another Triumph loss </div>
<div><br>
</div>
</div>
<font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;">
<div class=3D"PlainText">I=92m guessing that few, if any, on this list will=
 recognise the name of David Gleed. Until he retired DAVE worked for Standa=
rd-Triumph and BL/MG Rover. He came to prominence when he worked in the Com=
petitions Dept in Coventry and along
 with the late Ray Henderson and a few other unsung stalwarts, got to work =
on the rally cars under Ken Richardson and travelled several times as part =
of the Works Team at Le Mans and many of the European rallies. DAVE=92s sto=
ries of starting and working on the
 Sabrina engined cars were legendary - and he had many. DAVE=92s automotive=
 love was his long door TR2 that got taken out and blasted around Coventry =
and district whenever the mood took him - which was often. His thoughts on =
MVC 575 being cosseted like a piece
 of Meissen porcelain were mostly very apt and hit the mark, though perhaps=
 not printable.<br>
I got to renew my friendship with Dave when I was organising event days for=
 ST at BMIHT and I always knew he=92d be the first to book space for his st=
and where he sold unobtanium. No one knew his sources and he=92d never divu=
lge them but if you found yourself really
 stuck for a vital NLS component, Dave was the man to ask. He=92d find it, =
though there was always the chance he=92d already got it stashed away in hi=
s storeroom and usually several more than just one.
<br>
He died rather suddenly earlier this month at age 86 with his devoted wife =
and fellow stall worker Margaret at his side. The Triumph fraternity has lo=
st a truly remarkable, kind, generous, caring, knowledgeable and incredibly=
 funny man who was imho one of the
 true =91Motor industry=92 greats of the post war years. An unsung hero if =
ever there was one and although I=92m eight years his junior, there=92s no =
doubt in my mind that Triumph enthusiasts the world over have lost someone =
who was really special and truly one of
 a kind. Bless you my lovely funny friend. You won=92t set your overalls sl=
eeves on fire doing a cold start on a Sabrina engine now. God just won=92t =
allow that to happen in that Competitions Dept on the other side.<br>
<br>
Jonmac<br>
** [email-masked] **<br>
<br>
ate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp;
<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</div>
</span></font>
</body>
</html>

--_000_7e5a8bbf751b4ab59dc09b1f6a1d6fd7ranteercom_--

--===============3637198778727737744==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3637198778727737744==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 19:00:51 -0500

Thanks for sharing Jon. Sorry to hear of another Triumph loss. It seems like it is the "season". It brings to mind the many great Triumph connections I, and others, have lost. It also serves to remind us to take the time to let them know how much they are appreciated while they are still among us.

Cheers
Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: John Macartney <[email-masked]> 
Sent: February 4, 2022 4:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Another Triumph loss

I’m guessing that few, if any, on this list will recognise the name of David Gleed. Until he retired DAVE worked for Standard-Triumph and BL/MG Rover. He came to prominence when he worked in the Competitions Dept in Coventry and along with the late Ray Henderson and a few other unsung stalwarts, got to work on the rally cars under Ken Richardson and travelled several times as part of the Works Team at Le Mans and many of the European rallies. DAVE’s stories of starting and working on the Sabrina engined cars were legendary - and he had many. DAVE’s automotive love was his long door TR2 that got taken out and blasted around Coventry and district whenever the mood took him - which was often. His thoughts on MVC 575 being cosseted like a piece of Meissen porcelain were mostly very apt and hit the mark, though perhaps not printable.
I got to renew my friendship with Dave when I was organising event days for ST at BMIHT and I always knew he’d be the first to book space for his stand where he sold unobtanium. No one knew his sources and he’d never divulge them but if you found yourself really stuck for a vital NLS component, Dave was the man to ask. He’d find it, though there was always the chance he’d already got it stashed away in his storeroom and usually several more than just one. 
He died rather suddenly earlier this month at age 86 with his devoted wife and fellow stall worker Margaret at his side. The Triumph fraternity has lost a truly remarkable, kind, generous, caring, knowledgeable and incredibly funny man who was imho one of the true ‘Motor industry’ greats of the post war years. An unsung hero if ever there was one and although I’m eight years his junior, there’s no doubt in my mind that Triumph enthusiasts the world over have lost someone who was really special and truly one of a kind. Bless you my lovely funny friend. You won’t set your overalls sleeves on fire doing a cold start on a Sabrina engine now. God just won’t allow that to happen in that Competitions Dept on the other side.

Jonmac

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]