Subject: [TR] TR3 Lever Shock Replacement

From: William Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 12:15:14 -0800

The shocks in my 1960 TR3 are completely shot. I have a set of NOS 
shocks and links and will be changing them out soon.

      Question: The original mounting holes are elongated and ovaled. I 
have considered either welding a plate on the outside face of the mounts 
and drilling new holes or making some sort of thick washers that I would 
weld on to the backside of the mounting bracket. Is this really 
necessary? Has anyone else mounted new shocks with ovaled holes in the? 
Do the shocks rattle around or do the mounting bolts hold them tight 
enough that this doesn't happen?

      TIA

      -Bill in Morro Bay

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: auprichard uprichard.net <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 21:41:08 +0000

Hey, Bill:  surprisingly enough, the shocks can "rattle around" and in fact it has happened to me that a clunk in the rear turned out to be exactly that.  If you can access the area (if the car is off the frame or you are an expert welder) I would recommend one of the options you suggest.

Andrew Uprichard
Jackson, Michigan

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of William Brewer
Sent: Monday, January 3, 2022 3:15 PM
To: Triumph List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Lever Shock Replacement

      The shocks in my 1960 TR3 are completely shot. I have a set of NOS shocks and links and will be changing them out soon.

      Question: The original mounting holes are elongated and ovaled. I have considered either welding a plate on the outside face of the mounts and drilling new holes or making some sort of thick washers that I would weld on to the backside of the mounting bracket. Is this really necessary? Has anyone else mounted new shocks with ovaled holes in the? 
Do the shocks rattle around or do the mounting bolts hold them tight enough that this doesn't happen?

      TIA

      -Bill in Morro Bay

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
** [email-masked] **

---

From: David Templeton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 01:06:51 +0000

--===============6309993018240331931==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_004_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_";
	type="multipart/alternative"

--_004_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_
	boundary="_000_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_"

--_000_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_--

--_004_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_
Content-Description: image001.jpg
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="image001.jpg"; size=4283;
	creation-date="Tue, 04 Jan 2022 01:06:51 GMT";
	modification-date="Tue, 04 Jan 2022 01:06:51 GMT"
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_004_YT2PR01MB61758F48377E8589792AE7CCB64A9YT2PR01MB6175CANP_--

--===============6309993018240331931==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6309993018240331931==--