Subject: [TR] 4A Timing chain and update

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 15:59:57 -0400

List:
Thanks for the help on my questions with the timing chain.  It's done with
no leaks!  I finished a ton of work that included a new timing chain, oil
seal, speedi sleeve for hub pulley and the Bastuck aluminum narrow pulley
kit that I got from British Parts Northwest at the same time as installing
the Moss Motors alternator conversion kit on my 67 4A.  The narrow pulley
kit is designed to be used with stock hub pulley and fan extension for
dampening.  I also put on the Macy's hurricane fan with install kit.  All
kits were excellent!  I tried to make my own alternator kit using an MG
1970s alternator (43 amp).  But the Moss kit has the alt mounting tabs at
the right clock location to mount on passenger side.  Worth the expense in
my opinion.  Can easily replace with alternator with an MG one from Rockauto
and you will need to use the front half of the casing of the moss alt to
have the correct clock orientation.  I also installed the dummy voltage
regulator from Moss so the wiring looks factory.  Sweet stock looking setup
rather than having the wires all connected in a bunch that looks odd.   

One point to note if anyone does the narrow pulley and alternator kits at
the same time.  The quinton hazell QBA1014 3/8 v belt that came with the kit
is too long to also work with the alternator upgrade kit from Moss.  I found
a Dayco 15395 v belt at advance auto that is 1/2 inch shorter and fits
perfectly.  There was not enough adjustment of alternator to make the QH
work.    

Car runs great and seems to have more power.  Maybe less resistance from the
wide vbelt.

Cheers,
Jim Henningsen
Ocala, FL
61 3A
67 4A (very happy)
75 6
81 8

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive