Subject: [TR] Oil pressure sending switch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 22:15:46 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2818374950250044411==
	boundary="----=_Part_263976_1880542543.1628460946613"

------=_Part_263976_1880542543.1628460946613
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Wanted to validate my understanding of the low oil pressure sending switch =
on a 1976 TR6.=C2=A0 I noted that a wire was not hooked up and when I hooke=
d it up, the oil pressure warning light came on and stayed on when the car =
was cranked.=C2=A0 In the 25 years I have owned this vehicle, I have never =
seen the low oil pressure light on so didn't realize that there was a probl=
em. I put a meter from the switch to the positive battery terminal.=C2=A0 W=
hen I crank the car, there is 13.7 volts, regardless of the oil pressure.=
=C2=A0 My sense is that the switch should only ground under very low oil pr=
essure, and that when suitable pressure is achieved, the ground is disconne=
cted.=C2=A0 My assumption is that there is an internal short in the switch =
which is keeping the ground connected regardless of oil pressure.=C2=A0 Wou=
ld this be a correct assumption, or is there another issue?=C2=A0=C2=A0Davi=
d Gill1976 TR6
------=_Part_263976_1880542543.1628460946613
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 10pt arial;">Wanted to validate my understanding of the low oil pressure sending switch on a 1976 TR6.&nbsp; I noted that a wire was not hooked up and when I hooked it up, the oil pressure warning light came on and stayed on when the car was cranked.&nbsp; In the 25 years I have owned this vehicle, I have never seen the low oil pressure light on so didn't realize that there was a problem. I put a meter from the switch to the positive battery terminal.&nbsp; When I crank the car, there is 13.7 volts, regardless of the oil pressure.&nbsp; My sense is that the switch should only ground under very low oil pressure, and that when suitable pressure is achieved, the ground is disconnected.&nbsp; My assumption is that there is an internal short in the switch which is keeping the ground connected regardless of oil pressure.&nbsp; Would this be a correct assumption, or is there another issue?&nbsp;&nbsp;
<div>David Gill</div>

<div>1976 TR6</div>
</div>

------=_Part_263976_1880542543.1628460946613--

--===============2818374950250044411==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2818374950250044411==--

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 19:57:29 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6146655664794828630==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0088_01D78D58.CA5B0480"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D78D58.CA5B0480
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Check out the appropriate wiring diagram shown here. It=E2=80=99s a good =
place to start.

=20

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

=20

Alex Thomson

TR6

GT6

=20

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of =
[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2021 6:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Oil pressure sending switch

=20

Wanted to validate my understanding of the low oil pressure sending =
switch on a 1976 TR6.  I noted that a wire was not hooked up and when I =
hooked it up, the oil pressure warning light came on and stayed on when =
the car was cranked.  In the 25 years I have owned this vehicle, I have =
never seen the low oil pressure light on so didn't realize that there =
was a problem. I put a meter from the switch to the positive battery =
terminal.  When I crank the car, there is 13.7 volts, regardless of the =
oil pressure.  My sense is that the switch should only ground under very =
low oil pressure, and that when suitable pressure is achieved, the =
ground is disconnected.  My assumption is that there is an internal =
short in the switch which is keeping the ground connected regardless of =
oil pressure.  Would this be a correct assumption, or is there another =
issue?  =20

David Gill

1976 TR6

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D78D58.CA5B0480
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>Check out the =
appropriate wiring diagram shown here. It=E2=80=99s a good place to =
start.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o=
:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><a =
href=3D"http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf">http://www.advanceauto=
wire.com/tr2506.pdf</a><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o=
:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>Alex =
Thomson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>TR6<o:p></o:p>=
</span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>GT6<o:p></o:p>=
</span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o=
:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, August 08, 2021 6:16 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Oil =
pressure sending switch<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>W=
anted to validate my understanding of the low oil pressure sending =
switch on a 1976 TR6.&nbsp; I noted that a wire was not hooked up and =
when I hooked it up, the oil pressure warning light came on and stayed =
on when the car was cranked.&nbsp; In the 25 years I have owned this =
vehicle, I have never seen the low oil pressure light on so didn't =
realize that there was a problem. I put a meter from the switch to the =
positive battery terminal.&nbsp; When I crank the car, there is 13.7 =
volts, regardless of the oil pressure.&nbsp; My sense is that the switch =
should only ground under very low oil pressure, and that when suitable =
pressure is achieved, the ground is disconnected.&nbsp; My assumption is =
that there is an internal short in the switch which is keeping the =
ground connected regardless of oil pressure.&nbsp; Would this be a =
correct assumption, or is there another issue?&nbsp;&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>D=
avid Gill<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black'>1=
976 TR6<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0088_01D78D58.CA5B0480--

--===============6146655664794828630==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6146655664794828630==--

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 19:38:52 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0575043787948427474==
 boundary="------------681185BF2AC534F2C5FFDE43"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------681185BF2AC534F2C5FFDE43
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

And the excellent wiring diagram linked to shows that the oil pressure 
warning switch works just as you describe - not grounded when sufficient 
pressure is there, grounded otherwise.  If you have sufficient pressure, 
I believe you've correctly diagnosed the situation.  Either the switch 
is bad, or when you unscrew it you'll find the passage to it plugged.  
Most likely the switch.

Cheers, Tony

On 8/9/2021 6:57 PM, Alex & Janet Thomson wrote:
>
> Check out the appropriate wiring diagram shown here. It’s a good place 
> to start.
>
> <http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf>
>
> Alex Thomson
>
> TR6
>
> GT6
>
> *From:*Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of 
> [email-masked]
> *Sent:* Sunday, August 08, 2021 6:16 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [TR] Oil pressure sending switch
>
> Wanted to validate my understanding of the low oil pressure sending 
> switch on a 1976 TR6.  I noted that a wire was not hooked up and when 
> I hooked it up, the oil pressure warning light came on and stayed on 
> when the car was cranked.  In the 25 years I have owned this vehicle, 
> I have never seen the low oil pressure light on so didn't realize that 
> there was a problem. I put a meter from the switch to the positive 
> battery terminal.  When I crank the car, there is 13.7 volts, 
> regardless of the oil pressure. My sense is that the switch should 
> only ground under very low oil pressure, and that when suitable 
> pressure is achieved, the ground is disconnected.  My assumption is 
> that there is an internal short in the switch which is keeping the 
> ground connected regardless of oil pressure. Would this be a correct 
> assumption, or is there another issue?
>
> David Gill
>
> 1976 TR6
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

--------------681185BF2AC534F2C5FFDE43
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>And the excellent wiring diagram linked to shows that the oil
      pressure warning switch works just as you describe - not grounded
      when sufficient pressure is there, grounded otherwise.  If you
      have sufficient pressure, I believe you've correctly diagnosed the
      situation.  Either the switch is bad, or when you unscrew it
      you'll find the passage to it plugged.  Most likely the switch.</p>
    <p>Cheers, Tony<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/9/2021 6:57 PM, Alex &amp; Janet
      Thomson wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 14 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Check
            out the appropriate wiring diagram shown here. It’s a good
            place to start.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><a
              href="http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf</a><o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Alex
            Thomson<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">TR6<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">GT6<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">
            Triumphs [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>] <b>On
              Behalf Of </b><a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
            <b>Sent:</b> Sunday, August 08, 2021 6:16 PM<br>
            <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
            <b>Subject:</b> [TR] Oil pressure sending switch<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <div>
          <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">Wanted
              to validate my understanding of the low oil pressure
              sending switch on a 1976 TR6.  I noted that a wire was not
              hooked up and when I hooked it up, the oil pressure
              warning light came on and stayed on when the car was
              cranked.  In the 25 years I have owned this vehicle, I
              have never seen the low oil pressure light on so didn't
              realize that there was a problem. I put a meter from the
              switch to the positive battery terminal.  When I crank the
              car, there is 13.7 volts, regardless of the oil pressure. 
              My sense is that the switch should only ground under very
              low oil pressure, and that when suitable pressure is
              achieved, the ground is disconnected.  My assumption is
              that there is an internal short in the switch which is
              keeping the ground connected regardless of oil pressure. 
              Would this be a correct assumption, or is there another
              issue?   <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          <div>
            <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">David
                Gill<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          </div>
          <div>
            <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:black">1976
                TR6<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------681185BF2AC534F2C5FFDE43--

--===============0575043787948427474==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0575043787948427474==--