Subject: Re: [TR] Flat Towing a TR6

From: Q <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 11:17:51 -0700

Flat towing a manual transmission is problematic in that the gear sets 
are all stationery but the but the main-shaft is spinning within the 
main-shaft cluster.  This is an issue as the way oil is feed to the 
main-shaft is from the oil being carried and flung off the gears.

So the bottom line is yes you can tow short distances at low (City 
Streets) speeds but prolonged towing particularly on the freeway usually 
amounts to a lot of damage.  Of course I am sure that there is someone 
out there who flat towed something or another around the USA and then 
successfully dragged raced it for 6 NHRA seasons.  YMMV

Our policy was to only tow on a drive axle short distances until you 
could get the car in a safe place to turn it around such as when the car 
is on a busy freeway.

Edward Hamer

Former Professional Tow Truck driver among other things.

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: David P <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:57:24 -0600

If a top fill hole, overfill the gearbox another quart..

On 7/7/2021 12:17 PM, Q wrote:
> Streets) speeds but prolonged towing particularly on the freeway 
> usually amounts to a lot of damage.  Of course I am sure that there is 
> someone out there who flat towed something or another around the USA 
> and then successfully dragged raced it for 6 NHRA seasons.  YMMV
>
> could get the car in a safe place to turn it around such as when the 
> car is on a busy freeway.
>
> Edward Hamer
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/