Subject: [TR] TR4A W/W Motor & Switch

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 14:50:52 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5958453172861749949==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_037E_01D75A1A.2E6AF510"
Content-Language: en-ca

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_037E_01D75A1A.2E6AF510
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I had a dead short in the W/W motor for my 67 TR4A. I sourced and installed
a reconditioned Lucas Two Speed DR3A (75568). The reconditioned motor works
BUT the first pull of the switch does nothing. Pulling to the second
position on the switch starts the motor turning the wipers. The original
switch is wired such that pin 7 goes to ground (as does the ground wire on
the motor case). The Red/Green wire on the motor goes to pin 8 on the
switch. The Brown/Green wire on the motor goes to pin 4 on the switch. The
Green wire on the motor goes to power.

One other problem, after the wipers park, on power up the wiper spindles
rotate downward toward the cowl (counter clockwise when looking at the
spindles). I was going to adjust the parking switch cup 180 degrees to
rectify this problem, but before doing so thought I would ask here in case
there is something incorrect about the wiring that might also be causing the
movement problem.

Keith Stewart

[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_037E_01D75A1A.2E6AF510
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I had a dead short in the W/W =
motor for my 67 TR4A. I sourced and installed a reconditioned Lucas Two =
Speed DR3A (75568). The reconditioned motor works BUT the first pull of =
the switch does nothing. Pulling to the second position on the switch =
starts the motor turning the wipers. The original switch is wired such =
that pin 7 goes to ground (as does the ground wire on the motor case). =
The Red/Green wire on the motor goes to pin 8 on the switch. The =
Brown/Green wire on the motor goes to pin 4 on the switch. The Green =
wire on the motor goes to power.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>One other =
problem, after the wipers park, on power up the wiper spindles rotate =
downward toward the cowl (counter clockwise when looking at the =
spindles). I was going to adjust the parking switch cup 180 degrees to =
rectify this problem, but before doing so thought I would ask here in =
case there is something incorrect about the wiring that might also be =
causing the movement problem.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-CA'>Keith =
Stewart<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-CA'>[email-masked]<o:p></o:p></sp=
an></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_037E_01D75A1A.2E6AF510--

--===============5958453172861749949==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5958453172861749949==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:45:16 -0400

--===============2977871665963240278==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0046_01D75C64.22607230"
Content-Language: en-ca

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01D75C64.22607230
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0047_01D75C64.22607230"

------=_NextPart_001_0047_01D75C64.22607230
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On June 5, I wrote:

++++++++++++

I did not receive any responses, other than to request the source of my
motor rebuild, but further research and trouble-shooting has revealed that
the wiring connections I had found were incorrect. The only wiring details I
had found is what I described above, based on:

As I described above, this did not work as expected. On the Triumph Register
site, I found a post by Alan Turner that suggested the correct wiring for
the switch is pin 4 to ground, brown/light green to pin 6 and red/light
green to pin 7. With this setup, the first pull of the switch powers the
wiper motor at the slow speed and the second pull provides the fast speed.

Now all I need to do is remove the whole unit again so that I can rotate the
parking switch cover 180 degrees.

Hope this helps anyone else working on the same issue as there appears to be
conflicting information out there.

Keith Stewart

------=_NextPart_001_0047_01D75C64.22607230
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* =
{behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>On June 5, I =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I had a dead short in the W/W motor for my 67 TR4A. I =
sourced and installed a reconditioned Lucas Two Speed DR3A (75568). The =
reconditioned motor works BUT the first pull of the switch does nothing. =
Pulling to the second position on the switch starts the motor turning =
the wipers. The original switch is wired such that pin 7 goes to ground =
(as does the ground wire on the motor case). The Red/Green wire on the =
motor goes to pin 8 on the switch. The Brown/Green wire on the motor =
goes to pin 4 on the switch. The Green wire on the motor goes to =
power.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>One other problem, after the wipers park, on power up =
the wiper spindles rotate downward toward the cowl (counter clockwise =
when looking at the spindles). I was going to adjust the parking switch =
cup 180 degrees to rectify this problem, but before doing so thought I =
would ask here in case there is something incorrect about the wiring =
that might also be causing the movement problem.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>++++++++++++<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I did =
not receive any responses, other than to request the source of my motor =
rebuild, but further research and trouble-shooting has revealed that the =
wiring connections I had found were incorrect. The only wiring details I =
had found is what I described above, based on:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><img width=3D660 height=3D366 =
style=3D'width:6.8708in;height:3.8166in' id=3D"Picture_x0020_1" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>As I described above, this did not work as expected. =
On the Triumph Register site, I found a post by Alan Turner that =
suggested the correct wiring for the switch is pin 4 to ground, =
brown/light green to pin 6 and red/light green to pin 7. With this =
setup, the first pull of the switch powers the wiper motor at the slow =
speed and the second pull provides the fast speed.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Now all I =
need to do is remove the whole unit again so that I can rotate the =
parking switch cover 180 degrees.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Hope this =
helps anyone else working on the same issue as there appears to be =
conflicting information out there.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-CA'>Keith =
Stewart<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-CA'><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o:p=
></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0047_01D75C64.22607230--

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01D75C64.22607230
	name="image001.png"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01D75C64.22607230--

--===============2977871665963240278==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2977871665963240278==--