Subject: Re: [TR] 4th gear

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 13:20:37 -0600

On 5/25/21 1:12 PM, dave wrote:
>
> It is my understanding that the gears, and essentially the 
> transmission itself (there are minor differences) are pretty much the 
> same TR4 through TR6
>
> I have overdrive, but would love a longer 4^th gear, since 3 with OD 
> is almost the same as 4.
>
> Does anyone make one?
>

4th gear is just the mainshaft spinning at the same rate as the engine.  
The layshaft and any gears are just going along for the ride.

mjb.

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

tox.team.net

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 14:20:43 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4480037307097885372==
 boundary="------------3BC636C977731B20A5D791CA"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------3BC636C977731B20A5D791CA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

4th gear is direct drive, so there are no ratio choices for that one.

Cheers, Tony Drews

On 5/25/2021 2:12 PM, dave wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

--------------3BC636C977731B20A5D791CA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>4th gear is direct drive, so there are no ratio choices for that
      one.</p>
    <p>Cheers, Tony Drews<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/25/2021 2:12 PM, dave wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">It is my understanding that the gears, and
          essentially the transmission itself (there are minor
          differences) are pretty much the same TR4 through TR6<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">I have overdrive, but would love a longer 4<sup>th</sup>
          gear, since 3 with OD is almost the same as 4.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Does anyone make one?<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------3BC636C977731B20A5D791CA--

--===============4480037307097885372==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4480037307097885372==--

---

From: Randy and Valerie DeRuiter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 20:09:10 +0000

--===============1627844872428259649==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_SN6PR15MB23340745943F80744A89FD21B9259SN6PR15MB2334namp_"

--_000_SN6PR15MB23340745943F80744A89FD21B9259SN6PR15MB2334namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_SN6PR15MB23340745943F80744A89FD21B9259SN6PR15MB2334namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_SN6PR15MB23340745943F80744A89FD21B9259SN6PR15MB2334namp_--

--===============1627844872428259649==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1627844872428259649==--

---

From: John Macartney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:31:38 +0100

--===============0605027819078069676==
 boundary=Apple-Mail-17402A1A-8499-4EBE-A060-D256B4F9144C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-17402A1A-8499-4EBE-A060-D256B4F9144C
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dave, it was effectively always thus. Overdrive third and direct fourth were=
 very close on all cars where overdrive was offered as an option. Similarly,=
 there wasn=E2=80=99t a lot to choose between overdrive second and direct th=
ird. The main selling point we emphasised was that in heavy traffic, it was a=
 lot easier to flick the switch in and out, rather than keep pumping away on=
 the clutch pedal and cog swapping. In fact, that was one of the key feature=
s of the Laycock unit. Too many people look on it mainly as a higher gear ab=
ove fourth but that was not the original idea. Try storming a mountain pass w=
ith its serpentine bends using only second and second overdrive, or one up o=
n the tree, and you then really appreciate its value :)

Jonmac

Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intenti=
ons.

> On 25 May 2021, at 20:12, dave <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> It is my understanding that the gears, and essentially the transmission it=
self (there are minor differences) are pretty much the same TR4 through TR6
> =20
> I have overdrive, but would love a longer 4th gear, since 3 with OD is alm=
ost the same as 4.
> =20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archi=
ve
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.ma=
[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-17402A1A-8499-4EBE-A060-D256B4F9144C
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Dave, it was effectively always thus. Overd=
rive third and direct fourth were very close on all cars where overdrive was=
 offered as an option. Similarly, there wasn=E2=80=99t a lot to choose betwe=
en overdrive second and direct third. The main selling point we emphasised w=
as that in heavy traffic, it was a lot easier to flick the switch in and out=
, rather than keep pumping away on the clutch pedal and cog swapping. In fac=
t, that was one of the key features of the Laycock unit. Too many people loo=
k on it mainly as a higher gear above fourth but that was not the original i=
dea. Try storming a mountain pass with its serpentine bends using only secon=
d and second overdrive, or one up on the tree, and you then really appreciat=
e its value :)<div><br></div><div>Jonmac<br><br><div id=3D"AppleMailSignatur=
e" dir=3D"ltr">Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with=
 honest intentions.</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br>On 25 May 2021, at 20:12, dave=
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>=
<br></div><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr"><meta http-equiv=3D"Con=
tent-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3D"Generator=
" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D"Ms=
oNormal">It is my understanding that the gears, and essentially the transmis=
sion itself (there are minor differences) are pretty much the same TR4 throu=
gh TR6<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3D=
"MsoNormal">I have overdrive, but would love a longer 4<sup>th</sup> gear, s=
ince 3 with OD is almost the same as 4.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Does anyone make one?<o:p></o:p=
></p></div></div></blockquote><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr"><sp=
an>** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>=
 **</span><br><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/=
donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><span>Archive: <a=
 href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/piperma=
il/triumphs</a> &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.tea=
m.net/archive</a></span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a hr=
ef=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
rg.uk">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.macartney@ukpips.=
org.uk</a></span><br></div></blockquote></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-17402A1A-8499-4EBE-A060-D256B4F9144C--

--===============0605027819078069676==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0605027819078069676==--