Subject: [TR] working on control head for horn and turn indicator, 1957 TR3

From: David Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 23:41:21 +0200

--===============7434785674100747920==

--60a43486_6b94764_1d8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Hello all,

I need to repair a faulty horn/turn indicator on an early 1957 TR3 and I have not done this before. Looking at the Bentley manual on p 244, there is a section 4 on removal of the control head from the steering wheel, in which you disconnect the horn and flasher wires, loosen the gland nut on the stator tube, slacken 3 grub screws and withdraw the control head and stator tube form the steering column. This is a regular steering unit, not the telescopic one.

Is this the correct section to use for this job, and is there anything diabolical I need to watch out for?

Very grateful for any tips or hints,

Thanks,
Dave Griffiths

--60a43486_6b94764_1d8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html xmlns=3D=22http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml=22>
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<div name=3D=22messageBodySection=22>
<div dir=3D=22auto=22><span style=3D=22font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-si=
ze: 13px=22>Hello all,</span><span style=3D=22font-size: 13px=22><br /></=
span><span style=3D=22font-size: 13px=22><br /></span><span style=3D=22fo=
nt-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size: small=22>I need to repair a faulty ho=
rn/turn indicator on an early 1957 TR3 and I have not done this before. L=
ooking at the Bentley manual on p 244, there is a section 4 on removal of=
 the control head from the steering wheel, in which you disconnect the ho=
rn and flasher wires, loosen the gland nut on the stator tube, slacken 3 =
grub screws and withdraw the control head and stator tube form the steeri=
ng column. This is a regular steering unit, not the telescopic one.&=2316=
0;</span><span style=3D=22font-size: small=22><br /></span><span style=3D=
=22font-size: small=22><br /></span><span style=3D=22font-family:Helvetic=
a Neue;font-size: small=22>Is this the correct section to use for this jo=
b, and is there anything diabolical I need to watch out for=3F&=23160;</s=
pan><span style=3D=22font-size: small=22><br /></span><span style=3D=22fo=
nt-size: small=22><br /></span><span style=3D=22font-family:Helvetica Neu=
e;font-size: small=22>Very grateful for any tips or hints,</span><span st=
yle=3D=22font-size: small=22><br /></span><span style=3D=22font-size: sma=
ll=22><br /></span><span style=3D=22font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:=
 small=22>Thanks,</span><span style=3D=22font-size: small=22><br /></span=
><span style=3D=22font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size: small=22>Dave Gri=
ffiths</span></div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--60a43486_6b94764_1d8--

--===============7434785674100747920==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7434785674100747920==--

---

From: Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 17:53:17 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8749388275181733428==
 boundary="------------F8F4F775EB13555DCD9718B2"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------F8F4F775EB13555DCD9718B2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Dave,

Looks correct. But once you loosen the gland nut, the oil from the 
steering box will drip out while you work on the repair. Makes quite a 
mess. In order to prevent the mess, make a funnel of sorts to guide the 
oil into a pan. Dont forget to fill the box after repair is complete. 
Also, make sure the wires that are pulled up through the column are as 
tight as possible. I have always taped them so they stay in place. Very 
tight fit. It is also a good idea to tie a nylon string to the bottom of 
the wire harness so it is easier to guide the re-fit by keeping tension 
on the string/wires as the tube is lowered back in the column. This will 
require a helping hand. Also dont forget to disconnect the battery 
before you start with the wires.

Remember the horn/signal assembly is 60 years old and will tend to be 
quite brittle. Handle with care as they are easy to crack.

Bob

On 5/18/21 5:41 PM, David Griffiths wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I need to repair a faulty horn/turn indicator on an early 1957 TR3 and 
> I have not done this before. Looking at the Bentley manual on p 244, 
> there is a section 4 on removal of the control head from the steering 
> wheel, in which you disconnect the horn and flasher wires, loosen the 
> gland nut on the stator tube, slacken 3 grub screws and withdraw the 
> control head and stator tube form the steering column. This is a 
> regular steering unit, not the telescopic one.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

--------------F8F4F775EB13555DCD9718B2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Dave,</p>
    <p>Looks correct. But once you loosen the gland nut, the oil from
      the steering box will drip out while you work on the repair. Makes
      quite a mess. In order to prevent the mess, make a funnel of sorts
      to guide the oil into a pan. Dont forget to fill the box after
      repair is complete. Also, make sure the wires that are pulled up
      through the column are as tight as possible. I have always taped
      them so they stay in place. Very tight fit. It is also a good idea
      to tie a nylon string to the bottom of the wire harness so it is
      easier to guide the re-fit by keeping tension on the string/wires
      as the tube is lowered back in the column. This will require a
      helping hand. Also dont forget to disconnect the battery before
      you start with the wires.</p>
    <p>Remember the horn/signal assembly is 60 years old and will tend
      to be quite brittle. Handle with care as they are easy to crack. <br>
    </p>
    <p>Bob<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/18/21 5:41 PM, David Griffiths
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:6204ad90-18fa-4b97-9193-a76e9a51ac0d@Spark">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <title></title>
      <div name="messageBodySection">
        <div dir="auto"><span style="font-family:Helvetica
            Neue;font-size: 13px">Hello all,</span><span
            style="font-size: 13px"><br>
          </span><span style="font-size: 13px"><br>
          </span><span style="font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:
            small">I need to repair a faulty horn/turn indicator on an
            early 1957 TR3 and I have not done this before. Looking at
            the Bentley manual on p 244, there is a section 4 on removal
            of the control head from the steering wheel, in which you
            disconnect the horn and flasher wires, loosen the gland nut
            on the stator tube, slacken 3 grub screws and withdraw the
            control head and stator tube form the steering column. This
            is a regular steering unit, not the telescopic one. </span><span
            style="font-size: small"><br>
          </span><span style="font-size: small"><br>
          </span><span style="font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:
            small">Is this the correct section to use for this job, and
            is there anything diabolical I need to watch out for? </span><span
            style="font-size: small"><br>
          </span><span style="font-size: small"><br>
          </span><span style="font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:
            small">Very grateful for any tips or hints,</span><span
            style="font-size: small"><br>
          </span><span style="font-size: small"><br>
          </span><span style="font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:
            small">Thanks,</span><span style="font-size: small"><br>
          </span><span style="font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:
            small">Dave Griffiths</span></div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------F8F4F775EB13555DCD9718B2--

--===============8749388275181733428==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8749388275181733428==--

---

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 23:19:42 +0000 (UTC)

--===============8539523216196223328==
	boundary="----=_Part_1159208_748718979.1621379982160"

------=_Part_1159208_748718979.1621379982160
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 thats about it.no need to loosed the gland nut the indicator has a short p=
iece of stator that will pull away
Frank
    On Tuesday, May 18, 2021, 02:42:12 PM PDT, David Griffiths <daveg@onlin=
e.no> wrote: =20
=20
 Hello all,

I need to repair a faulty horn/turn indicator on an early 1957 TR3 and I ha=
ve not done this before. Looking at the Bentley manual on p 244, there is a=
 section 4 on removal of the control head from the steering wheel, in which=
 you disconnect the horn and flasher wires, loosen the gland nut on the sta=
tor tube, slacken 3 grub screws and withdraw the control head and stator tu=
be form the steering column. This is a regular steering unit, not the teles=
copic one.=C2=A0

Is this the correct section to use for this job, and is there anything diab=
olical I need to watch out for?=C2=A0

Thanks,
Dave Griffiths** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archiv=
e

[email-masked]
 =20
------=_Part_1159208_748718979.1621379982160
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"ydpeba20a3byahoo-style-wrap" style=
=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px=
;"><div></div>
        <div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">thats about it.</div><div di=
r=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">no need to loosed the gland nut the indicat=
or has a short piece of stator that will pull away</div><div dir=3D"ltr" da=
ta-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Frank<=
/div><div><br></div>
       =20
        </div><div id=3D"ydp3fa68d98yahoo_quoted_1475047451" class=3D"ydp3f=
a68d98yahoo_quoted">
            <div style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, s=
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
               =20
                <div>
                    On Tuesday, May 18, 2021, 02:42:12 PM PDT, David Griffi=
ths &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
                </div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><div id=3D"ydp3fa68d98yiv3974049327">

<div>
<div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:13px;">Hello all,<=
/span><span style=3D"font-size:13px;"><br></span><span style=3D"font-size:1=
3px;"><br></span><span style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:small;=
">I need to repair a faulty horn/turn indicator on an early 1957 TR3 and I =
have not done this before. Looking at the Bentley manual on p 244, there is=
 a section 4 on removal of the control head from the steering wheel, in whi=
ch you disconnect the horn and flasher wires, loosen the gland nut on the s=
tator tube, slacken 3 grub screws and withdraw the control head and stator =
tube form the steering column. This is a regular steering unit, not the tel=
escopic one.&nbsp;</span><span style=3D"font-size:small;"><br></span><span =
style=3D"font-size:small;"><br></span><span style=3D"font-family:Helvetica =
Neue;font-size:small;">Is this the correct section to use for this job, and=
 is there anything diabolical I need to watch out for?&nbsp;</span><span st=
yle=3D"font-size:small;"><br></span><span style=3D"font-size:small;"><br></=
span><span style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:small;">Very grate=
ful for any tips or hints,</span><span style=3D"font-size:small;"><br></spa=
n><span style=3D"font-size:small;"><br></span><span style=3D"font-family:He=
lvetica Neue;font-size:small;">Thanks,</span><span style=3D"font-size:small=
;"><br></span><span style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue;font-size:small;">D=
ave Griffiths</span></div>
</div>
</div>

</div>** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"nofollow" target=
=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a> **<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http:/=
/www.team.net/donate.html" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.te=
am.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail=
/triumphs " rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermai=
l/triumphs </a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"nofollow" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
om" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/option=
s/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br></div>
            </div>
        </div></body></html>
------=_Part_1159208_748718979.1621379982160--

--===============8539523216196223328==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8539523216196223328==--