Subject: [TR] New TR3A owner

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 19:19:32 -0400

List:
I successfully convinced my neighbor to buy a new to him 1958 TR3A.  Great
to have a new first time TR owner, especially here in Ocala, FL.  Car
arrived today and of course it crapped out on him after 10 miles. Luckily
right in front of his house.  We got the car back into his garage before the
rain came.  Car cranks over fine just won't run.  It literally just died on
him at a stop sign after the ten mile drive.  12.2 volts at the battery, but
11.4 on the coil with ignition on.  Positive ground car.  Is 11.4 normal at
the coil to start or is it losing voltage from ignition switch to coil.
White wires from ignition switch look nice and tight.  With ignition switch
on,  it also has 11.4 volts at white wires on second fuse on the fuse box.  

Just wanted to confirm 11.4 seems ok to start this puppy before I dig into
points, condenser, rotor, cap and wires.  I don't think it is fuel as I
sprayed starter fluid in the carbs and still nothing.  

Thanks,
Jim "I need spark" Henningsen
Ocala FL

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 15:40:48 -0400

I’ll second this. The wires on the coil and distributor are prone to breaking at the Lucar connector. It’s happened to me and years ago at a TRA meeting I was able to help someone with the same failure. If it is an original harness . . . ? Ground wires?
Allen 

> On Apr 16, 2021, at 7:40 AM, Bob <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Jim,
> 
> 12.2 seems a bit low to me.  My fully charged optima shows 13.2. And 11.2 at the coil is low. There might be oxidation in the switch. If you dont see a strong spark try replacing the coil. Check the points and gap. With the ignition on and the points closed you should hear/see a spark when the points are opened manually.
> 
> The fact that it wont fire does sound electrical to me.
> 
> The last time my 3 stopped turned out to be a loose connection to the coil. All I did was pull both terminals and re-attach and I was on my way.
> 
> Good luck.
> 
> Bob
> 
>> On 4/15/21 7:19 PM, Jim Henningsen wrote:
>> List:
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]