Subject: [TR] TR4A-6 Trunnion Wear

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 19:34:23 -0500

What's the best means to determine if the front suspension trunnions are
worn and in need of replacement?  I have a 67 4A IRS with 72k orig miles and
am redoing all of the suspension.  Would like to test to see if trunnions
are bad or still good.  Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Jim Henningsen
Ocala FL
61 3A Neville
62 4 Simon
67 4A Sir Charles
75 6 Ms. Molly (bad ass)
81 8 Sir Stirling

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 20:02:59 -0500

TRF had an inventory reduction sale on TR4A/6 trunnions a few weeks ago. 
Good price and I bought a pair, visually look like good parts.

To answer your question.
1. Check the hole for the thru bold for wear. If any replace them.
2. Check the acme threads to upright fit for slop and or rough motion. Check 
the upright threads as well for same.
3. While you're checking stuff be sure to check the thru bolt and control 
arm bushings too and replace that stuff if necessary. Lots of potential wear 
points in the bottom joint area.
4. In assembled condition but with a jack under the spring pan to take the 
weight of the car try to move the wheel / tire assembly as you would with 
ball joints looking for movement in and out and up and down.
5. If all checks good then disassemble, clean and lube with new oil or 
grease whichever you prefer. I've used grease for years but the manual 
actually calls for more of an oil. Some use OMC outdrive pump to inject oil 
in lieu of grease. Pick your poison.

Mine are the originals from 1966 and I bought new ones because I wanted too 
as they were a really good deal. I will be checking mine this spring and 
cleaning and re=lubing them as part of a general once over before driving 
season and checking the fit of the new TRF parts.

Let us know what you find.

JVV

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jim Henningsen
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2021 7:34 PM
To: 'TR3 Triumphs'
Subject: [TR] TR4A-6 Trunnion Wear

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]