Subject: [TR] TR4 Ignitions switch AUX vs.ON

From: "Will Daehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:16:33 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5690434818748602348==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0020_01D6967B.E6F6DC10"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01D6967B.E6F6DC10
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

OK, I have in the past inadvertently left my key in the ON position. For
days and days.  The result was a burned out coil and points which I was
forced to replace before the car started again. This made me look hard and
long at my fifty year old ignition switch. Although there was a contact
available for AUX on the back of the switch, and it was certainly wired
correctly, there didn't seem to be a AUX key position. There appeared to be
only three positions, Start, On and Off. Three clicks, not four.  I was able
to create a momentary and intermittent AUX effect by twisting the key hard
to the left and firmly holding it there, the radio would come on.

It eventually occurred to me that the switch was worn out, and so I replaced
it with a new one.  Voila, I now have an AUX function, and can now listen to
the radio at leisure without burning out the ignition circuits.  This
replacement switch also has the feature where you have to push the key in
slightly when simultaneously turning the key to the AUX position. 

Faithfully submitted,

Will Daehler

63 TR4

Powder Blue

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01D6967B.E6F6DC10
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>OK, I have =
in the past inadvertently left my key in the ON position. For days and =
days.&nbsp; The result was a burned out coil and points which I was =
forced to replace before the car started again. This made me look hard =
and long at my fifty year old ignition switch. Although there was a =
contact available for AUX on the back of the switch, and it was =
certainly wired correctly, there didn&#8217;t seem to be a AUX key =
position. There appeared to be only three positions, Start, On and Off. =
Three clicks, not four. &nbsp;I was able to create a momentary and =
intermittent AUX effect by twisting the key hard to the left and firmly =
holding it there, the radio would come on.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>It =
eventually occurred to me that the switch was worn out, and so I =
replaced it with a new one.&nbsp; Voila, I now have an AUX function, and =
can now listen to the radio at leisure without burning out the ignition =
circuits. &nbsp;This replacement switch also has the feature where you =
have to push the key in slightly when simultaneously turning the key to =
the AUX position. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Faithfully =
submitted,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Will Daehler<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>63 =
TR4<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Powder Blue<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0020_01D6967B.E6F6DC10--

--===============5690434818748602348==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5690434818748602348==--