Subject: [TR] Alternator Question TR4A

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 17:14:14 -0400

List:
I am working on my latest addition, a 67 TR4A.   The previous owner put an
84 Nissan Sentra Hitachi alternator in place of the generator and also added
the voltage regulator dummy. It all works fine.   I just replaced the water
pump and I believe it failed since the alternator was only mounted on the
front lower ear mounting (same as lower mount for generator) and adjustment
ear on top.  It did not have a mount to the rear ear so it could be twisted
slightly by hand.  It is mounted to the stock generator bracket attached to
the block and has the original large spacer nut with threaded hole to mount
lower ear.  I am trying to engineer a solution to mount the rear lower ear
to the original left generator mounting bracket attached to bloc.  I put a
3/8 shouldered bolt in but still has some play throught the holes in the
alternator.  Ugh is all I have to say.  

I know Moss sells a complete kit with Lucas alternator, but I really want an
alternator that I can replace at local parts store.  Does anyone have the do
it yourself instructions with parts used for mounting an alternator so it is
stable without wobble, recommendation on easy access alternator (GM 10SI?
Have that in my TR6).  Ive been in the TR hobby for over25 years but haven't
come across the home mechanic solution.  Seems like this has to be
documented somewhere.  

Any help greatly appreciated!
Jim Henningsen
61 TR3A
62 TR4
67 TR4A
75 TR6
81 TR8     

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive