Subject: [TR] Oil pressure sensor threads

From: Larry T <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:54:48 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8896513442001544381==
 boundary="------------AE5C5359364F2099CA9DB751"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------AE5C5359364F2099CA9DB751
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Not sure what threads were used however 40 years ago, I did use a NPT 
(1/8 inch ??) brass fitting  for an oil line on a TR6 engine as I was 
not aware there were any other threads than  NPT.  Do not recall any oil 
leaks at the fitting. The brass is probably soft enough to work with 
some teflon tape as the oil pressure is not that high. A straight thread 
requires a gasket to seal.

Larry T

from this website 
www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ID-british-thread-s/2376.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JT-4qKI6wIVih-tBh2VSA6QEAAYAiAAEgI6ifD_BwE

  How to ID British Threads

British Pipe Standard fittings are amongst the most popular of all 
foreign threads in the world today. These threads come in two versions: 
parallel (BSPP), and tapered (BSPT). The thread flank angle for both 
tapered and parallel British threads is 55°. NOTE: It is a fairly common 
mistake to identify a BSPT (tapered) as an NPT. Always remember that NPT 
threads have a 60° thread flank angle, and BSPT has a 55° angle (this 
can be verified with a thread gauge). Although BSP is a foreign thread, 
it isn’t actually metric. This is why it comes in Imperial sizes: 1/8, 
1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and so on.

I get confused with standards and threads used on Triumphs.

Does the oil pressure sender use NPT (*American National Standard Pipe 
Thread) *or some British equivalent? I'm planning to install a Smith's 
oil pressure gauge, but want to keep the sensor. I need a Tee but notice 
some have what appears to be parallel (maybe NPS) threads. Can NPT and 
NPS be mixed? Sujit

-- Sujit Roy Cupertino, California

--------------AE5C5359364F2099CA9DB751
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Not sure what threads were used however 40 years ago, I did use a
      NPT (1/8 inch ??) brass fitting  for an oil line on a TR6 engine
      as I was not aware there were any other threads than  NPT.  Do not
      recall any oil leaks at the fitting. The brass is probably soft
      enough to work with some teflon tape as the oil pressure is not
      that high. A straight thread requires a gasket to seal.</p>
    <p>Larry T<br>
    </p>
    <p>from this website  
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ID-british-thread-s/2376.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JT-4qKI6wIVih-tBh2VSA6QEAAYAiAAEgI6ifD_BwE">www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ID-british-thread-s/2376.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JT-4qKI6wIVih-tBh2VSA6QEAAYAiAAEgI6ifD_BwE</a><br>
    </p>
    <h1>How to ID British Threads</h1>
    <p>British Pipe Standard fittings are amongst the most popular of
      all foreign threads in the world today. These threads come in two
      versions: parallel (BSPP), and tapered (BSPT). The thread flank
      angle for both tapered and parallel British threads is 55°. NOTE:
      It is a fairly common mistake to identify a BSPT (tapered) as an
      NPT. Always remember that NPT threads have a 60° thread flank
      angle, and BSPT has a 55° angle (this can be verified with a
      thread gauge). Although BSP is a foreign thread, it isn’t actually
      metric. This is why it comes in Imperial sizes: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2,
      3/4, and so on.</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <p>I get confused with standards and threads used on Triumphs.</p>
    <p>Does the oil
      pressure sender use NPT (*American National Standard Pipe Thread)
      *or some
      British equivalent?
      I'm planning to install a Smith's oil pressure gauge, but want to
      keep
      the sensor. I need a Tee but notice some have what appears to be
      parallel
      (maybe NPS) threads. Can NPT and NPS be mixed?
      Sujit
    </p>
    <div class="moz-txt-sig">-- Sujit Roy
      Cupertino, California</div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------AE5C5359364F2099CA9DB751--

--===============8896513442001544381==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8896513442001544381==--