Subject: Re: [TR] Timing cover leak

From: "Glenn A. Merrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:54:31 -0600

One practice I learned on my Rover V8 and Stag V8 jobs was to always use
some sort of liquid thread sealer on the bolt threads on an engine -
excepting head to exhaust manifold and spark plug threads which I use a MIL
spec conducting molybdenum antiseize, and the special Stag head studs also
get coated with the MIL spec moly.

For the Rover engines, a Teflon thread sealer is recommended on all engine
bolts as both a thread lubricant into aluminum but also as a sealer as most
of the holes go into an oil or water gallery.

The practice also works well in cast iron blocks and heads and is a simple
step after the very important step of chasing each hole with a bottoming tap
and blowing it out with air, to then lightly coat the threads with a Teflon
thread sealer.  I have found that the areas in Triumph Blocks recommending
fiber or copper sealing washers perform much better with a liquid Teflon
thread sealant added to the threads.

Glenn aka StagByTriumph

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of andrew
uprichard
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 5:33 AM
To: 'bill beecher'; 'Randall'
Subject: Re: [TR] Timing cover leak

Bill:  it needs something.  The books call for a fiber washer behind the
timing plate cover (Moss 324-680, TRF WF508) but I have been equally
successful with a felt washer in front - something you may be able to do
without too much difficulty.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of bill beecher
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 11:39 PM
To: Randall <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Timing cover leak

Hello List,
Just set the TR3 motor in and fired up for the first time, there is a small
oil leak at that post that goes through the center of the timing cover,
behind the pulley.  I just had a nut and washer on it, should I have gone
with an o-ring or fiber washer?  20-20 hindsight, should have put something
behind it.  

Many thanks,
Bill

#dontkillgrandma

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/stagbytriumph@triumphstagclub
.org

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive