Subject: [TR] Timing cover leak

From: bill beecher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 22:39:16 -0500

Hello List,
Just set the TR3 motor in and fired up for the first time, there is a small oil leak at that post that goes through the center of the timing cover, behind the pulley.  I just had a nut and washer on it, should I have gone with an o-ring or fiber washer?  20-20 hindsight, should have put something behind it.  

Many thanks,
Bill

#dontkillgrandma

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "andrew uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 07:33:08 -0400

Bill:  it needs something.  The books call for a fiber washer behind the
timing plate cover (Moss 324-680, TRF WF508) but I have been equally
successful with a felt washer in front - something you may be able to do
without too much difficulty.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of bill beecher
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 11:39 PM
To: Randall <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Timing cover leak

Hello List,
Just set the TR3 motor in and fired up for the first time, there is a small
oil leak at that post that goes through the center of the timing cover,
behind the pulley.  I just had a nut and washer on it, should I have gone
with an o-ring or fiber washer?  20-20 hindsight, should have put something
behind it.  

Many thanks,
Bill

#dontkillgrandma

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Brewer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:57:51 -0700

You can buy the fiber washer at a hardware store. I bought mine at a
Tru-Value hardware store in our little town.
     It has never really made a difference inside or outside of the timing
cover. My first engine rebuild I didn't know and put it on the outside. Next
time it was on the inside. No leaks either way.

     -Bill Brewer

-----Original Message-----
From: bill beecher [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 8:39 PM
To: Randall
Subject: [TR] Timing cover leak

Hello List,

Many thanks,
Bill

#dontkillgrandma