Subject: [TR] A smart or dumb idea for TR6 Steering column

From: "Jeff Nathanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:23:26 -0400 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002C_01D6462C.0F102530"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D6462C.0F102530
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_002D_01D6462C.0F102530"

------=_NextPart_001_002D_01D6462C.0F102530
	boundary="----=_NextPart_002_002E_01D6462C.0F102530"

------=_NextPart_002_002E_01D6462C.0F102530
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hello,

I'm one of those silent subscribers. But, now I have an idea and wanted to
pass it on for suggestions/criticism . I just changed the two steering
column bushing in the 1972 TR6. But, when I grab the steering column from
inside the engine bay, there still is a lot of play. As can be seen by the
below picture, the steering column can rattle around in the hole in the fire
wall.

 

So, my idea was to pack some rubber around the steering column (1.25 inches
OD) from inside and force it through the fire wall. I got a pair of rubber
chair legs from Amazon.

I cut off the "floor" end and then cut off some more so that is about 0.75"
remaining

.

After removing the steering column from the car, I can now place this rubber
"concoction"  around the front end of the steering column and place it
through the fire wall so it fills the gap. I have not yet completed this
task because of problems securing the four screws in the large rubber
cushion connecting the two steering rods.

So, my question is:

1)    Was the gap in the file wall around the steering intentional?

2)    Do you think this would mess up anything?

3)    Would I feel more or less vibration at the steering wheel?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff N.

------=_NextPart_002_002E_01D6462C.0F102530
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* =
{behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph, div.MsoListParagraph
	{mso-style-priority:34;
	margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:.5in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:2044403635;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-940438196 67698705 67698713 67698715 67698703 =
67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-text:"%1\)";
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>Hello,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>I&#8217;m one of =
those silent subscribers. But, now I have an idea and wanted to pass it =
on for suggestions/criticism . I just changed the two steering column =
bushing in the 1972 TR6. But, when I grab the steering column from =
inside the engine bay, there still is a lot of play. As can be seen by =
the below picture, the steering column can rattle around in the hole in =
the fire wall.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><img =
width=3D667 height=3D583 id=3D"Picture_x0020_1" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>So, my idea was to pack some rubber around =
the steering column (1.25 inches OD) from inside and force it through =
the fire wall. I got a pair of rubber chair legs from =
Amazon.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><img =
width=3D712 height=3D759 id=3D"Picture_x0020_2" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>I cut off the &#8220;floor&#8221; end and =
then cut off some more so that is about 0.75&#8221; =
remaining<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>.<img =
width=3D619 height=3D612 id=3D"Picture_x0020_3" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>After removing the steering column from the =
car, I can now place this rubber &#8220;concoction&#8221; &nbsp;around =
the front end of the steering column and place it through the fire wall =
so it fills the gap. I have not yet completed this task because of =
problems securing the four screws in the large rubber cushion connecting =
the two steering rods.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>So, my question =
is:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>Was the gap in the file wall around the =
steering intentional?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>Do you think this would mess up =
anything?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoListParagraph =
style=3D'text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1'><![if =
!supportLists]><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><span =
style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>3)<span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><![endif]><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>Would I feel more or less vibration at the =
steering wheel?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>Any suggestions or =
comments would be appreciated.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt'>Jeff =
N.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_002_002E_01D6462C.0F102530--

------=_NextPart_001_002D_01D6462C.0F102530
	name="image002.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_001_002D_01D6462C.0F102530
	name="image004.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_001_002D_01D6462C.0F102530
	name="image009.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_001_002D_01D6462C.0F102530--

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D6462C.0F102530
	name="001.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="001.JPG"

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D6462C.0F102530
	name="002.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="002.JPG"

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D6462C.0F102530
	name="003.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="003.JPG"

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D6462C.0F102530
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D6462C.0F102530--