Subject: Re: [TR] fast idle problem

From: "andrew uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 18:52:11 -0400

What if you push the shaft down manually?  Is it maybe just stiff or getting
caught up?  And is your timing correct?

Andrew Uprichard
Jackson, Michigan

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Leaver
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 5:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] fast idle problem

I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't get
the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked all gaskets
and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is air getting around
the shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't replace the shafts because I
didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer for $290.00. I looked on line and
can't find a less expensive replacement. The book states the size of the
reamer is 5/16" + 0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a
5/16" reamer?
Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know of a
cheaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob
** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Connitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 19:09:54 -0400

Bob, you might contact Joe Curto? He rebushed and fitted new throttle shafts in my SU’s several years ago and it was less than $300.00. Plus he has done it before (grin)
Dave Connitt 

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 12, 2020, at 6:27 PM, Bob Leaver <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't
> get the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked
> all gaskets and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is
> air getting around the shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't
> replace the shafts because I didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer
> for $290.00. I looked on line and can't find a less expensive
> replacement. The book states the size of the reamer is 5/16" +
> 0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a 5/16" reamer?
> Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know
> of a cheaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: William Pugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 16:24:04 -0700

--===============1820695707653024563==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_C54E9A6B-E187-4006-9DD9-F7DDB7835E75"

--Apple-Mail=_C54E9A6B-E187-4006-9DD9-F7DDB7835E75
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

There is a great book (How to repair your Foreign Car) Chapter 13

	=E2=80=9CCarburetor=E2=80=9D  Is  French Word Meaning

						=E2=80=9CLeave it =
alone=E2=80=9D

One last thing (for all) if you   really want to improve the =
handling=E2=80=99s of a TR6 =E2=80=A6 install a Rear Sway Bar =E2=80=A6 =
installation is not simple but can be done in a day and That will blow =
your mind.

> On May 12, 2020, at 2:58 PM, Bob Leaver <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  =
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Life is too short
to drive Boring Cars

--Apple-Mail=_C54E9A6B-E187-4006-9DD9-F7DDB7835E75
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">There is a great book (How to =
repair your Foreign Car) Chapter 13<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" =
style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>=E2=80=9CCarburetor=E2=80=9D =
&nbsp;Is &nbsp;French Word Meaning</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" =
style=3D"white-space:pre">						=
</span>=E2=80=9CLeave it alone=E2=80=9D</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">One last thing (for all) if you &nbsp; =
really want to improve the handling=E2=80=99s of a TR6 =E2=80=A6<font =
size=3D"5" class=3D""><b class=3D""> install a Rear Sway Bar =
</b></font>=E2=80=A6 installation is not simple but can be done in a day =
and That will blow your mind.</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D"">On May 12, 2020, at 2:58 =
PM, Bob Leaver &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and =
now I can't<br class=3D"">get the idle below about 1500. I've tried all =
the screws and checked<br class=3D"">all gaskets and nothing. The only =
possibility I can come up with is<br class=3D"">air getting around the =
shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't<br class=3D"">replace the =
shafts because I didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer<br class=3D"">for=
 $290.00. I looked on line and can't find a less expensive<br =
class=3D"">replacement. The book states the size of the reamer is 5/16" =
+<br class=3D"">0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a =
5/16" reamer?<br class=3D"">Does anyone have ideas how I can get the =
idle down? Does anyone know<br class=3D"">of a cheaper reamer to use? =
Thanks, Bob<br class=3D"">** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a> **<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br class=3D"">Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> &nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
et" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/anabil007@comcas=
t.net</a><br class=3D""></blockquote><br class=3D""><div class=3D"">Life =
is too short<br class=3D"">to drive Boring Cars<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_C54E9A6B-E187-4006-9DD9-F7DDB7835E75--

--===============1820695707653024563==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1820695707653024563==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 17:44:56 -0600

Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the carbs, the carb/manifold 
mating surface, the manifold/head joint?  Have you balanced the carbs?  
Are you sure it is not just the linkage hanging up somewhere?

mjb.

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 17:33:27 -0700

Bob - You may want to see if you have someplace local that can ream the 
carbs for you.  One of these days I'll be taking mine to a local guy 
that rebuilds carbs out of his garage.  I have the parts from a TRF kit 
that I ordered before finding out you also needed the reamer.

Brian

On 5/12/2020 2:58 PM, Bob Leaver wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 00:34:33 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2956148624760570351==
	boundary="----=_Part_127620_2118463340.1589330073131"

------=_Part_127620_2118463340.1589330073131
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 Did you get the throttle plate centered?=C2=A0 If it is not centered it wi=
ll hit the throat on one side while there is still a big gap on the other.=
=C2=A0=20
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Leaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Tue, May 12, 2020 4:58 pm
Subject: [TR] fast idle problem

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archiv=
e

[email-masked]

------=_Part_127620_2118463340.1589330073131
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="4">Did you get the throttle plate centered?&nbsp; If it is not centered it will hit the throat on one side while there is still a big gap on the other.&nbsp; </font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Bob Leaver &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: [email-masked]<br>
Sent: Tue, May 12, 2020 4:58 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] fast idle problem<br>
<br>

<div dir="ltr">I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">get the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">all gaskets and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">air getting around the shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">replace the shafts because I didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">for $290.00. I looked on line and can't find a less expensive<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">replacement. The book states the size of the reamer is 5/16" +<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a 5/16" reamer?<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">of a cheaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">** <a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs </a> <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</div>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_127620_2118463340.1589330073131--

--===============2956148624760570351==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2956148624760570351==--

---

From: Jack McGahey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 20:54:33 -0400

I doubt very seriously that your shaft bushings are leaking enough air to maintain a 1500 rpm idle  - the shafts would have to be REALLY loose in their bushings and you’d probably notice - probably the butterflies are not closing completely as the should be if you’ve backed the idle screws out all the way as your post implies you have - You can start by disconnecting the throttle linkage from the carbs - then, if the butterflies close and drop the idle to zero, you can work backwards to see what about the linkage is holding them open.

If you need shafts and bushings anyway, I’d forget buying a reamer - Joe Curto will do all the machining and replace the bushings and shafts in both carbs for $150 plus shipping both ways.

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jack McGahey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 20:54:33 -0400

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad

---

From: Michael Marr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 01:40:50 +0000

The Moss reamer cuts a hole that is 10 thousands (nominal) oversize, and requires you to use ten thousandths oversize throttle shafts.  The reamer has an extended pilot, so that, even when reaming by hand, the alignment between the holes on each side of the throttle body is maintained.  To that extent, it is a special reamer, which accounts for its price.  I found other piloted reamers, but they are chucking reamers and the pilot is quite short, so you would have to set the carb body up on a good drill press (or vertical mill, preferably) with the axis of the throttle bushing holes perfectly vertical.  The body would have to be clamped to an angle plate in some manner.  Such a reamer, of the right size, can be found here...

https://www.panamericantool.com/high-speed-steel-reamers/high-speed-steel-piloted-chucking-reamers.html

Part number 99-703 is what you would want.  But, unless you've done this kind of set-up before, I wouldn't recommend doing this.  I think sending the bodies out to have new oversized shafts fitted might be the most expedient thing.

Mike

Michael J Marr, P.E., CEng.
Albion Technical Services
W5918 Hackbarth Rd
Fort Atkinson, WI 53538

Cell:  630-202-0065
Email:  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Leaver
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 4:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] fast idle problem

I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't get the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked all gaskets and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is air getting around the shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't replace the shafts because I didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer for $290.00. I looked on line and can't find a less expensive replacement. The book states the size of the reamer is 5/16" + 0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a 5/16" reamer?
Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know of a cheaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob
** [email-masked] **

Archive: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_pipermail_triumphs&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=HL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&m=3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&s=tt8izdlC0lb0YIDeBxoLKz6KFf6pFO7PYqZED3LJLGI&e=  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.team.net_archive&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=HL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&m=3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&s=YzdZFWtTjhGEow2RCr23bxZPySU7oxypkclzKL3hl5s&e=

---

From: Cliff Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 03:54:06 +0000

--===============3023900154794167434==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY4PR22MB0920D68DD2F28719BBA0C437FABF0CY4PR22MB0920namp_"

--_000_CY4PR22MB0920D68DD2F28719BBA0C437FABF0CY4PR22MB0920namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bob,

Are you sure the linkage is allowing the butterflies to close completely?  =
That was the problem I had when I first put the rebuilt carbs back on my ca=
r.

Cliff

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986> for Window=
s 10

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:03 PM
[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] fast idle problem

The Moss reamer cuts a hole that is 10 thousands (nominal) oversize, and re=
quires you to use ten thousandths oversize throttle shafts.  The reamer has=
 an extended pilot, so that, even when reaming by hand, the alignment betwe=
en the holes on each side of the throttle body is maintained.  To that exte=
nt, it is a special reamer, which accounts for its price.  I found other pi=
loted reamers, but they are chucking reamers and the pilot is quite short, =
so you would have to set the carb body up on a good drill press (or vertica=
l mill, preferably) with the axis of the throttle bushing holes perfectly v=
ertical.  The body would have to be clamped to an angle plate in some manne=
r.  Such a reamer, of the right size, can be found here...

https://www.panamericantool.com/high-speed-steel-reamers/high-speed-steel-p=
iloted-chucking-reamers.html

Part number 99-703 is what you would want.  But, unless you've done this ki=
nd of set-up before, I wouldn't recommend doing this.  I think sending the =
bodies out to have new oversized shafts fitted might be the most expedient =
thing.

Mike

Cell:  630-202-0065

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Leaver
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 4:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] fast idle problem

I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't get =
the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked all gasket=
s and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is air getting aroun=
d the shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't replace the shafts because =
I didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer for $290.00. I looked on line and=
 can't find a less expensive replacement. The book states the size of the r=
eamer is 5/16" + 0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a 5=
/16" reamer?
Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know of a c=
heaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob
** [email-masked] **

donate.html&d=3DDwICAg&c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=3D=
HL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O=
6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&s=3Dfcams_IcyTxT42KTTKzdgPpET42jYRovw8nyOkWYl1I&e=3D
Archive: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.team.net=
_pipermail_triumphs&d=3DDwICAg&c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfi=
iMM&r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yA=
qEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&s=3Dtt8izdlC0lb0YIDeBxoLKz6KFf6pFO7PYqZED3LJLGI&e=
=3D  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.team.net_arc=
hive&d=3DDwICAg&c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=3DHL4LAX-=
jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9g=
aq3qfosU0&s=3DYzdZFWtTjhGEow2RCr23bxZPySU7oxypkclzKL3hl5s&e=3D

utox.team.net_mailman_options_triumphs_mmarr-40albiontechnical.com&d=3DDwIC=
Ag&c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1r=
yqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&s=
=3Dn13_oCFuCopTUYc-K9K4IEfSbvoh9bLu26krBSX150U&e=3D
** [email-masked] **

[email-masked]

--_000_CY4PR22MB0920D68DD2F28719BBA0C437FABF0CY4PR22MB0920namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:sc=
hemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/of=
fice/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style>
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"#954F72">
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Bob,</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Are you sure the linkage is allowing the butterflies=
 to close completely?&nbsp; That was the problem I had when I first put the=
 rebuilt carbs back on my car.</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Cliff</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Sent from <a href=3D"https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink=
/?LinkId=3D550986">
Mail</a> for Windows 10</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<div style=3D"mso-element:para-border-div;border:none;border-top:solid #E1E=
1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"border:none;padding:0in"><b>From: </b><a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Michael Marr</a><br>
<b>Sent: </b>Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:03 PM<br>
<b>To: </b><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Bob Leaver</a>; <a href=3D=
"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a><br>
<b>Subject: </b>Re: [TR] fast idle problem</p>
</div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">The Moss reamer cuts a hole that is 10 thousands (no=
minal) oversize, and requires you to use ten thousandths oversize throttle =
shafts.&nbsp; The reamer has an extended pilot, so that, even when reaming =
by hand, the alignment between the holes
 on each side of the throttle body is maintained.&nbsp; To that extent, it =
is a special reamer, which accounts for its price.&nbsp; I found other pilo=
ted reamers, but they are chucking reamers and the pilot is quite short, so=
 you would have to set the carb body up on
 a good drill press (or vertical mill, preferably) with the axis of the thr=
ottle bushing holes perfectly vertical.&nbsp; The body would have to be cla=
mped to an angle plate in some manner.&nbsp; Such a reamer, of the right si=
ze, can be found here...<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"https://www.panamericantool.com/high-speed-steel-reamers/high-sp=
eed-steel-piloted-chucking-reamers.html">https://www.panamericantool.com/hi=
gh-speed-steel-reamers/high-speed-steel-piloted-chucking-reamers.html</a><b=
r>
<br>
Part number 99-703 is what you would want.&nbsp; But, unless you've done th=
is kind of set-up before, I wouldn't recommend doing this.&nbsp; I think se=
nding the bodies out to have new oversized shafts fitted might be the most =
expedient thing.<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<br>
<br>
Michael J Marr, P.E., CEng.<br>
Albion Technical Services<br>
W5918 Hackbarth Rd<br>
Fort Atkinson, WI 53538<br>
<br>
Cell:&nbsp; 630-202-0065<br>
Email:&nbsp; [email-masked]<br>
<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt; On Behalf Of Bob Lea=
ver<br>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 4:58 PM<br>
To: [email-masked]<br>
Subject: [TR] fast idle problem<br>
<br>
I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't get =
the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked all gasket=
s and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is air getting aroun=
d the shafts. When rebuilding the
 cars I didn't replace the shafts because I didn't have a reamer. Moss has =
a reamer for $290.00. I looked on line and can't find a less expensive repl=
acement. The book states the size of the reamer is 5/16&quot; &#43; 0.0105&=
quot;. What kind of measurement is this? Can you
 use a 5/16&quot; reamer?<br>
Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know of a c=
heaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob<br>
** [email-masked] **<br>
<br>
w.team.net_donate.html&amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v=
5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&amp;r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&amp;m=3D=
3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=3Dfcams_IcyTxT42KTTKzdgPp=
ET42jYRovw8nyOkWYl1I&amp;e=3D">
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.team.net_donate.h=
tml&amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&amp;=
r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&amp;m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yA=
qEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=3Dfcams_IcyTxT42KTTKzdgPpET42jYRovw8nyOkWYl1=
I&amp;e=3D</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__w=
ww.team.net_pipermail_triumphs&amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7j=
XrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&amp;r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&=
amp;m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=3Dtt8izdlC0lb0YID=
eBxoLKz6KFf6pFO7PYqZED3LJLGI&amp;e=3D">
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.team.net_pipermai=
l_triumphs&amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfii=
MM&amp;r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&amp;m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWV=
mzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=3Dtt8izdlC0lb0YIDeBxoLKz6KFf6pFO7PYqZ=
ED3LJLGI&amp;e=3D</a>&nbsp;
<a href=3D"https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.team.n=
et_archive&amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfii=
MM&amp;r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&amp;m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWV=
mzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=3DYzdZFWtTjhGEow2RCr23bxZPySU7oxypkcl=
zKL3hl5s&amp;e=3D">
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.team.net_archive&=
amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&amp;r=3D=
HL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&amp;m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_=
Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=3DYzdZFWtTjhGEow2RCr23bxZPySU7oxypkclzKL3hl5s&am=
p;e=3D</a><br>
<br>
=3Dhttp-3A__autox.team.net_mailman_options_triumphs_mmarr-40albiontechnical=
.com&amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&amp=
;r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&amp;m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9y=
AqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=3Dn13_oCFuCopTUYc-K9K4IEfSbvoh9bLu26krBSX15=
0U&amp;e=3D">
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__autox.team.net_mailma=
n_options_triumphs_mmarr-40albiontechnical.com&amp;d=3DDwICAg&amp;c=3DeuGZs=
tcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&amp;r=3DHL4LAX-jeuoWNeqz1u1ryqDHfrhQ=
38xO3ECYGpjCniQ&amp;m=3D3JrDLbJKoSWVmzxR9yAqEY_Qj1O6UBBa9gaq3qfosU0&amp;s=
=3Dn13_oCFuCopTUYc-K9K4IEfSbvoh9bLu26krBSX150U&amp;e=3D</a><br>
** [email-masked] **<br>
<br>
ate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp;
<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>=
<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY4PR22MB0920D68DD2F28719BBA0C437FABF0CY4PR22MB0920namp_--

--===============3023900154794167434==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3023900154794167434==--

---

From: EDWARD WOODS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 09:41:14 -0400 (EDT)

--===============3358962869649036698==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html>
<html>
 <head> 
  <meta charset="UTF-8"> 
 </head>
 <body>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Bob,
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   <br>
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Check the orientation of the throttle plate tapers as well as their centering. If the idle was adjustable, even roughly, prior to rebuilding, something's occurred during the rebuild to screw it up. Not the throttle shaft fitment.
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   <br>
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   TR4A throttle shaft openings are bushed, so they should never have to be oversized. Just replace the bushings and fit standard diameter throttle shafts. If you can't find a local machine shop to do the work, send them to Joe Curto.
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   <br>
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Ed Woods
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   <br>
  </div>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   <br>
  </div>
  <blockquote type="cite">
   <div>
    On May 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM Bob Leaver &lt;
    <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:
   </div>
   <div>
    <br>
   </div>
   <div>
    <br>
   </div>
   <div>
    I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't
   </div>
   <div>
    get the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked
   </div>
   <div>
    all gaskets and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is
   </div>
   <div>
    air getting around the shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't
   </div>
   <div>
    replace the shafts because I didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer
   </div>
   <div>
    for $290.00. I looked on line and can't find a less expensive
   </div>
   <div>
    replacement. The book states the size of the reamer is 5/16" +
   </div>
   <div>
    0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a 5/16" reamer?
   </div>
   <div>
    Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know
   </div>
   <div>
    of a cheaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob
   </div>
   <div>
    ** 
    <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **
   </div>
   <div>
    <br>
   </div>
   <div>
    Donate: 
    <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="noopener" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
   </div>
   <div>
    Archive: 
    <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel="noopener" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> 
    <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" rel="noopener" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
   </div>
   <div>
    <br>
   </div>
   <div>
    Unsubscribe/Manage: 
    <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" rel="noopener" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
   </div>
  </blockquote> 
 </body>
</html>

--===============3358962869649036698==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3358962869649036698==--

---

From: TERRY SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 10:33:36 -0400 (EDT)

--===============6028391803840126261==
	boundary="----=_Part_650437_751585165.1589380416997"

------=_Part_650437_751585165.1589380416997
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Would forgetting to hook up the vacuum advance be a possibility?

> On May 13, 2020 at 9:41 AM EDWARD WOODS <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>     Bob,
> 
>         > >         On May 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM Bob Leaver < [email-masked] mailto:[email-masked] > wrote:
> > 
> > 
> >         ** [email-masked] mailto:[email-masked] **
> > 
> >         Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> > 
> >     > ** [email-masked] ** Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

------=_Part_650437_751585165.1589380416997
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html>
<html>
 <head> 
  <meta charset="UTF-8"> 
 </head>
 <body>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Would forgetting to hook up the vacuum advance be a possibility?
  </div>
  <blockquote type="cite">
   On May 13, 2020 at 9:41 AM EDWARD WOODS &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote: 
   <br> 
   <br>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    Bob,
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    <br>
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    Check the orientation of the throttle plate tapers as well as their centering. If the idle was adjustable, even roughly, prior to rebuilding, something's occurred during the rebuild to screw it up. Not the throttle shaft fitment.
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    <br>
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    TR4A throttle shaft openings are bushed, so they should never have to be oversized. Just replace the bushings and fit standard diameter throttle shafts. If you can't find a local machine shop to do the work, send them to Joe Curto.
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    <br>
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    Ed Woods
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    <br>
   </div>
   <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: #333333;">
    <br>
   </div>
   <blockquote type="cite">
    <div>
     On May 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM Bob Leaver &lt; 
     <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:
    </div>
    <div>
     <br>
    </div>
    <div>
     <br>
    </div>
    <div>
     I have a 1965 Triumph TR4a that I rebuilt the SU carbs and now I can't
    </div>
    <div>
     get the idle below about 1500. I've tried all the screws and checked
    </div>
    <div>
     all gaskets and nothing. The only possibility I can come up with is
    </div>
    <div>
     air getting around the shafts. When rebuilding the cars I didn't
    </div>
    <div>
     replace the shafts because I didn't have a reamer. Moss has a reamer
    </div>
    <div>
     for $290.00. I looked on line and can't find a less expensive
    </div>
    <div>
     replacement. The book states the size of the reamer is 5/16" +
    </div>
    <div>
     0.0105". What kind of measurement is this? Can you use a 5/16" reamer?
    </div>
    <div>
     Does anyone have ideas how I can get the idle down? Does anyone know
    </div>
    <div>
     of a cheaper reamer to use? Thanks, Bob
    </div>
    <div>
     ** 
     <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **
    </div>
    <div>
     <br>
    </div>
    <div>
     Donate: 
     <a target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
    </div>
    <div>
     Archive: 
     <a target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel="noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> 
     <a target="_blank" href="http://www.team.net/archive" rel="noopener">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
    </div>
    <div>
     <br>
    </div>
    <div>
     Unsubscribe/Manage: 
     <a target="_blank" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" rel="noopener">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
    </div>
   </blockquote>** [email-masked] ** Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
  </blockquote>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;" class="default-style">
   <br>&nbsp;
  </div> 
 </body>
</html>
------=_Part_650437_751585165.1589380416997--

--===============6028391803840126261==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6028391803840126261==--