Subject: [TR] Ideas, anyone?

From: "andrew uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 17:54:29 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0962537414312567590==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001E_01D62886.63273190"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D62886.63273190
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Having (I think) sorted out the problem with the TR4, I took a
recently-finished TR3B out for its second inaugural drive.

The first inaugural drive went pretty well, but once the engine temp came
up, the oil pressure fell like a stone - and here we are talking around
40psi at 3000rpm and almost nothing at (what was hot) idle. Adjusting the
pressure with the screw on the oil filter head did nothing.

I checked everything over, even pulled the oil pan and checked all the
bearings (one main and 4 rods) - all perfect.  I really didn't find
anything, and the specs on the oil pump looked good, but I ordered a new
pump as well as a new spring for the Purolator oil filter head (the valve
itself is no longer obtainable).

So today when I first took it out, the pressure was almost too high - around
90 at 3000 rpm.  But as soon as the engine warmed up, it again dropped to
scary levels. No leaks, no oil in water or vice versa.

I am running out of ideas here.  Could it be a bad oil filter head?
Anything else?

Andrew Uprichard

Jackson, Michigan

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D62886.63273190
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>Having (I think) sorted =
out the problem with the TR4, I took a recently-finished TR3B out for =
its second inaugural drive.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>The first inaugural drive =
went pretty well, but once the engine temp came up, the oil pressure =
fell like a stone &#8211; and here we are talking around 40psi at =
3000rpm and almost nothing at (what was hot) idle. Adjusting the =
pressure with the screw on the oil filter head did =
nothing.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>I checked everything over, =
even pulled the oil pan and checked all the bearings (one main and 4 =
rods) &#8211; all perfect.&nbsp; I really didn&#8217;t find anything, =
and the specs on the oil pump looked good, but I ordered a new pump as =
well as a new spring for the Purolator oil filter head (the valve itself =
is no longer obtainable).<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>So today when I first took =
it out, the pressure was almost too high &#8211; around 90 at 3000 =
rpm.&nbsp; But as soon as the engine warmed up, it again dropped to =
scary levels. No leaks, no oil in water or vice =
versa.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>I am running out of ideas =
here.&nbsp; Could it be a bad oil filter head?&nbsp; Anything =
else?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman",serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>Andrew =
Uprichard<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman",serif'>Jackson, =
Michigan<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_001E_01D62886.63273190--

--===============0962537414312567590==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0962537414312567590==--