Subject: Re: [TR] Parts sources

From: William Pugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 09:26:09 -0700

Just put on one of the Hi-Torque Starters…end of problem.

> On May 7, 2020, at 7:48 AM, TERRY SMITH <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Okay.  I've just gone through my second starter drive on the tractor rebuild, each refusing to retract and engage the flywheel after doing so for a dozen or so attempts.  Both $25 and from, I understand, China, which of course is nevertheless not to say that all Chinese parts are poor quality.  I've cleaned the drives, lubed them, bench-tested them with a new battery brought up to full charge while applying persuasion to retract.  The problem is the quality of the part.  (I've found a more expensive alternative and ordered it.)
> 
> But I'm curious.  Like my '59 TR3A, the tractor is old.  Is there some sentiment among aftermarket parts manufacturers that old vehicles won't be driven much, so the lifespan-quality of parts they make isn't the focus it maybe once was because, after all, who's really going to find out anyway?  With the Triumph, for instance, I've had varying luck with the quality control of points and rotor and, in one instance, a generator.  
> 
> Make no mistake.  I'm not complaining, just curious.  Overall I'm delighted we have the opportunity for these parts in the first place.  But where the heck are the parts for our cars being made?  Not that it matters.  Poor workmanship--as well as good--is a human trait without borders.  
> 
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
> New Hamsphire 
> 
> 
> ** [email-masked] **
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Life is too short
to drive Boring Cars

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 15:40:02 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5624170076052457827==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00AA_01D62485.C65F4130"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00AA_01D62485.C65F4130
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I admit that I bought a starter for an Onan twin cylinder and my JD 4230 =
from D.B. Electrical. I hate to buy foreign made items, but I hate to =
pay $488 for a rebuilt as opposed to $150 for a new one. I know, I know =
=E2=80=93 the new one is Chinese. The problem is that until you see the =
replacement part in your hand, you have no idea where it came from =
despite the leaping deer on the box.

=20

We are fortunate that there are still a few old - time shops that repair =
the old items. I had a Delco 6 volt, 3 brush generator for my Farmall H =
redone by a shop in Torrington. It now can put out 10 amps and works =
well. We also have a radiator shop in Meriden that will repair old =
units. They have repaired 4 or 5 radiators including both Triumphs and =
some Deeres.

=20

Alex Thomson

=20

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of =
TERRY SMITH
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2020 10:48 AM
To: triumphs
Subject: [TR] Parts sources

=20

Okay.  I've just gone through my second starter drive on the tractor =
rebuild, each refusing to retract and engage the flywheel after doing so =
for a dozen or so attempts.  Both $25 and from, I understand, China, =
which of course is nevertheless not to say that all Chinese parts are =
poor quality.  I've cleaned the drives, lubed them, bench-tested them =
with a new battery brought up to full charge while applying persuasion =
to retract.  The problem is the quality of the part.  (I've found a more =
expensive alternative and ordered it.)=20

=20

But I'm curious.  Like my '59 TR3A, the tractor is old.  Is there some =
sentiment among aftermarket parts manufacturers that old vehicles won't =
be driven much, so the lifespan-quality of parts they make isn't the =
focus it maybe once was because, after all, who's really going to find =
out anyway?  With the Triumph, for instance, I've had varying luck with =
the quality control of points and rotor and, in one instance, a =
generator.  =20

=20

Make no mistake.  I'm not complaining, just curious.  Overall I'm =
delighted we have the opportunity for these parts in the first place.  =
But where the heck are the parts for our cars being made?  Not that it =
matters.  Poor workmanship--as well as good--is a human trait without =
borders.  =20

=20

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667=20

New Hamsphire =20

=20

=20

------=_NextPart_000_00AA_01D62485.C65F4130
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Helvetica;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Helvetica;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>I admit that =
I bought a starter for an Onan twin cylinder and my JD 4230 from D.B. =
Electrical. I hate to buy foreign made items, but I hate to pay $488 for =
a rebuilt as opposed to $150 for a new one. I know, I know =E2=80=93 the =
new one is Chinese. The problem is that until you see the replacement =
part in your hand, you have no idea where it came from despite the =
leaping deer on the box.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o=
:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>We are =
fortunate that there are still a few old - time shops that repair the =
old items. I had a Delco 6 volt, 3 brush generator for my Farmall H =
redone by a shop in Torrington. It now can put out 10 amps and works =
well. We also have a radiator shop in Meriden that will repair old =
units. They have repaired 4 or 5 radiators including both Triumphs and =
some Deeres.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o=
:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>Alex =
Thomson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o=
:p></span></p><div><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF =
1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>TERRY SMITH<br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, May 07, 2020 10:48 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> triumphs<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Parts =
sources<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'>Okay.&nbsp; =
I've just gone through my second starter drive on the tractor rebuild, =
each refusing to retract and engage the flywheel after doing so for a =
dozen or so attempts.&nbsp; Both $25 and from, I understand, China, =
which of course is nevertheless not to say that all Chinese parts are =
poor quality.&nbsp; I've cleaned the drives, lubed them, bench-tested =
them with a new battery brought up to full charge while applying =
persuasion to retract.&nbsp; The problem is the quality of the =
part.&nbsp; (I've found a more expensive alternative and ordered it.) =
<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;<=
/o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'>But I'm =
curious.&nbsp; Like my '59 TR3A, the tractor is old.&nbsp; Is there some =
sentiment among aftermarket parts manufacturers that old vehicles won't =
be driven much, so the lifespan-quality of parts they make isn't the =
focus it maybe once was because, after all, who's really going to find =
out anyway?&nbsp; With the Triumph, for instance, I've had varying luck =
with the quality control of points and rotor and, in one instance, a =
generator.&nbsp;&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;<=
/o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'>Make no =
mistake.&nbsp; I'm not complaining, just curious.&nbsp; Overall I'm =
delighted we have the opportunity for these parts in the first =
place.&nbsp; But where the heck are the parts for our cars being =
made?&nbsp; Not that it matters.&nbsp; Poor workmanship--as well as =
good--is a human trait without borders.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;<=
/o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'>Terry =
Smith, '59 TR3A&nbsp; TS 58667 <o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'>New =
Hamsphire&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;<=
/o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Helvetica","sans-serif";color:#333333'><o:p>&nbsp;<=
/o:p></span></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00AA_01D62485.C65F4130--

--===============5624170076052457827==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5624170076052457827==--