Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 switch

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:03:56 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1688647955112399452==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0028_01D60039.953A9A70"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D60039.953A9A70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Sounds like that's your problem right there. You should have full battery
voltage coming into the ignition switch. Remember, the battery ground
circuit is just as important as the battery insulated circuit. Make sure
that ground straps that connect the body to the engine/battery are in good
shape. Under a load, each complete circuit (insulated and ground) should not
have more than 0.2 to 0.4 volt drop from the battery post to its final
destination.

Alex Thomson

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of dave
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 9:03 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR4 switch

I have found that the voltage to the switch is about 7.5.  is that right?
(the generator has been replaced with an alternator and it has a digital
voltage regulator if that matters)

And when I jump the connection to the starter nothing happens, so clearly
there is a problem with that 

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D60039.953A9A70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'>Sounds =
like that&#8217;s your problem right there. You should have full battery =
voltage coming into the ignition switch. Remember, the battery ground =
circuit is just as important as the battery insulated circuit. Make sure =
that ground straps that connect the body to the engine/battery are in =
good shape. Under a load, each complete circuit (insulated and ground) =
should not have more than 0.2 to 0.4 volt drop from the battery post to =
its final destination.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'>Alex =
Thomson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div=
><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt =
0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>dave<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, March 22, 2020 9:03 AM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR4 =
switch<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have found =
that the voltage to the switch is about 7.5.&nbsp; is that right?&nbsp; =
(the generator has been replaced with an alternator and it has a digital =
voltage regulator if that matters)<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>And when I =
jump the connection to the starter nothing happens, so clearly there is =
a problem with that <o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D60039.953A9A70--

--===============1688647955112399452==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1688647955112399452==--