Subject: Re: [TR] Castrol Red Rubber Grease

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 16:36:31 -0700

My understanding is that the red grease is only for use outside the areas
that touch brake fluid.  But you probably could use it, as long as you clean
it off thoroughly (brake cleaner solvent) before putting the parts into
service.

If you're planning on using DOT 5 silicone in the system, then I'd just coat
the parts with DOT 5.  Store where dirt and dust can't get attracted, then
clean before installation anyway.

The other alternative is to just leave them dry.  Don't make the mistake I
did (a long time ago) and try to use conventional brake fluid.  That stuff
actually promotes corrosion, rather than protecting from it!

AFAIK, should be able to use the same thing on the clutch components; on a
Triumph anyway.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Sujit Roy
> Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:33 PM
> To: Triumphs
> Subject: [TR] Castrol Red Rubber Grease
> 
> With the shelter in place order in California, my second Stag 
> rebuild order is getting screwed up. 
> So, now I planning to work on brakes and clutch. 
> First the brakes. 
> I am planning to rebuild some rear brake cylinders and some 
> front calipers but don't plan to bleeding the system for some 
> time. Can I coat the metal part of the cylinders and rubber 
> parts with his stuff, Castrol Red Rubber Grease,  so rust 
> doesn't settle in?
> 
> Are there other products worth recommending?
> 
> I'm assuming if I can use it on brakes I should be able to 
> use it on the clutch. Is this right?
> 
> Sujit
> 
> 
> -- 
> 
> Sujit Roy
> Cupertino, California
> 
> https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/
> 
> 
> 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Keith Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 20:03:46 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5003982554606325175==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00BA_01D60472.D325EFF0"
Content-Language: en-ca

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00BA_01D60472.D325EFF0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Can you get them from Moss=E2=80=99 east coast depot? I know some of the =
Canadian vendors have switched from the CA depot to the east coast one =
in order to keep their supplies coming.

=20

=20

Keith Stewart

[email-masked]

=20

=20

=20

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>=20
Sent: March 26, 2020 4:33 PM
To: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] Castrol Red Rubber Grease

=20

With the shelter in place order in California, my second Stag rebuild =
order is getting screwed up.=20

So, now I planning to work on brakes and clutch.=20

First the brakes.=20

I am planning to rebuild some rear brake cylinders and some front =
calipers but don't plan to bleeding the system for some time. Can I coat =
the metal part of the cylinders and rubber parts with his stuff, Castrol =
Red Rubber Grease,  so rust doesn't settle in?

=20

=20

I'm assuming if I can use it on brakes I should be able to use it on the =
clutch. Is this right?

=20

Sujit

=20

--=20

Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California

------=_NextPart_000_00BA_01D60472.D325EFF0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Can you get them from Moss=E2=80=99 =
east coast depot? I know some of the Canadian vendors have switched from =
the CA depot to the east coast one in order to keep their supplies =
coming.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Keith =
Stewart<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>[email-masked]<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US>From:</span></b><span =
lang=3DEN-US> Sujit Roy &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br><b>Sent:</b> =
March 26, 2020 4:33 PM<br><b>To:</b> Triumphs =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Castrol Red =
Rubber Grease<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>With the shelter in place order in California, my =
second Stag rebuild order is getting screwed =
up.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>So, now I =
planning&nbsp;to work on brakes and =
clutch.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>First the =
brakes.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I am planning to =
rebuild some rear brake cylinders and some front calipers but =
don't&nbsp;plan to bleeding&nbsp;the system&nbsp;for some time. Can I =
coat the metal part of the cylinders and rubber parts with =
his&nbsp;stuff, Castrol Red Rubber Grease,&nbsp; so rust =
doesn't&nbsp;settle in?<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Are there other products worth =
recommending?<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I'm assuming&nbsp;if I can use it on brakes I should =
be able to use it on the clutch. Is this =
right?<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Sujit<br clear=3Dall><o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal>-- =
<o:p></o:p></p><div><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Sujit =
Roy<br>Cupertino, California<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br><a =
href=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/" =
target=3D"_blank">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><o:p></o:p></=
p></div></div></div></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00BA_01D60472.D325EFF0--

--===============5003982554606325175==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5003982554606325175==--