Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired

From: Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 09:19:55 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4373436562708997890==
 boundary="------------6D60A8968DC5971E6CEDEFCB"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------6D60A8968DC5971E6CEDEFCB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I did take typing in HS. It really helped me in the Army. I became a RTT 
operator and could really push those 60 CPS teletype machines.

Just like learning Morse Code, once you learn it it is hard to program 
out of your brain.

Typed all my life as a software engineer.

Maybe I will be put 6' under with a keyboard.

Bob

On 1/31/20 10:03 PM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:
> I pretty much use the orthodox method but I'm no touch typist.  Turn 
> the lights out and it gets ugly.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Patrick Baize <[email-masked]>
> To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Fri, Jan 31, 2020 6:58 pm
> Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired
>
> OH Ya, missed 2,  left pinky for shift and right thumb for space bar. 
> haha , so 5.
> Patrick
> On 1/31/2020 6:56 PM, Patrick Baize wrote:
> I never took typing in school. Later I tried to use "Mavis Beaves 
> teaches typing", didn't work. I have been writing software for over 30 
> years, I use 3 fingers, 1 on left hand, 2 on the right.
> Patrick
>
> On 1/31/2020 6:27 AM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:
> I never took a typing class, I am self taught.  I remember staying up 
> all night typing a report for class in highschool.  When I started 
> working there was no need for an engineer to type. Enter the desk-top 
> computer.  Now I spend most of my time staring at a screen typing on a 
> keyboard. Who'd a thunk?
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: jpaynepbr <[email-masked]>
> To: 'TeriAnn J. Wakeman' <[email-masked]>; triumphs 
> <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thu, Jan 30, 2020 9:07 pm
> Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired
>
> In 1990, when I graduated HS, if you were going to graduate and be 
> "college bound", you had to take a typing class.  It was Sr. year and 
> it was "Health" one semester, "Typing" the next or vice versa.
>
> If you were "Vo-Tech" typing was an option, but "Health" was still 
> mandatory.
>
> Same teacher taught both classes.  One of the most bitter and angry 
> people I have ever met.
>
> The though of  "Health" class taught by an angry, frigid, humorless 60 
> year old woman still makes me wonder.  I guess if you had to manage 
> the subject matter with a bunch of teenagers, many of whom were headed 
> nowhere, after a few years, you would end up like that too.
>
> Typing was one of the most valuable skills I ever learned.
>
> My kids all had typing classes in public schools in 1st and 2nd grade 
> post 2010.
>
> Time and technology change everything.
>
> I wish I could learn to type on a phone and manage the "autocorrect", 
> that would be something.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of TeriAnn 
> J. Wakeman
> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:38 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired
>
> On 1/30/20 6:23 PM, Bud Rolofson wrote:
> > Exactly, I took typing in eighth grade because there lots of girls in
> > that class and I was a horny 13 yo.  But my 50 yo typing muscle memory
> > will always space twice after a period. Canâ€™t help it.
> >
> > Busted.
> >
> > Bud
>
> I didn't take typing in high school because I didn't want to be 
> pigeonholed as a secretary. In early years I went in to interview for 
> a technical position with a degree in electronics & almost always was 
> asked what my typing speed was. When I mentioned about a page ever 2 
> hours or so, I got interviewed for the job I was applying for. I knew 
> a woman with a Stanford masters in physics who in the mid 60s worked 
> as a tech group secretary.
>
> During college when I needed to submit typed papers, I traded typing 
> for either a homemade apple pie or a ready to bake homemade lasagna. I 
> single space between sentences only on emails. That is because my 
> mailer produces strange characters when I double space a sentence. The 
> books I have authored are all double spaced between sentences and my 
> reviewers have forced me to use oxford comas. They are not used in 
> technical papers.
>
> TeriAnn
>
>
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

--------------6D60A8968DC5971E6CEDEFCB
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>I did take typing in HS. It really helped me in the Army. I
      became a RTT operator and could really push those 60 CPS teletype
      machines.</p>
    <p>Just like learning Morse Code, once you learn it it is hard to
      program out of your brain.</p>
    <p>Typed all my life as a software engineer. <br>
    </p>
    <p>Maybe I will be put 6' under with a keyboard.</p>
    <p>Bob<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/31/20 10:03 PM, DAVID MASSEY
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
        <div> <font size="3">I pretty much use the orthodox method but
            I'm no touch typist.  Turn the lights out and it gets ugly.</font><br>
        </div>
        <div> <br>
        </div>
        <div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
          <br>
        </div>
        <div> <br>
        </div>
        <div> <br>
        </div>
        <div
          style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original
          Message-----<br>
          From: Patrick Baize <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
          To: triumphs <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
          Sent: Fri, Jan 31, 2020 6:58 pm<br>
          Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired<br>
          <br>
          <div id="yiv8427189964">
            <div>
              <div>OH Ya, missed 2,  left pinky for shift and right
                thumb for space bar. haha , so 5.<br clear="none">
              </div>
              <div>Patrick<br clear="none">
              </div>
              <div class="yiv8427189964moz-cite-prefix">On 1/31/2020
                6:56 PM, Patrick Baize wrote:<br clear="none">
              </div>
              <blockquote type="cite"> </blockquote>
            </div>
            <div>
              <div>I never took typing in school. Later I tried to use
                "Mavis Beaves teaches typing", didn't work. I have been
                writing software for over 30 years, I use 3 fingers, 1
                on left hand, 2 on the right.  <br clear="none">
              </div>
              <div>Patrick</div>
              <div><br clear="none">
              </div>
              <div class="yiv8427189964moz-cite-prefix">On 1/31/2020
                6:27 AM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:<br clear="none">
              </div>
              <blockquote type="cite"> </blockquote>
            </div>
            <div>
              <div style="color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica,
                sans-serif;">
                <div> <font size="3">I never took a typing class, I am
                    self taught.  I remember staying up all night typing
                    a report for class in highschool.  When I started
                    working there was no need for an engineer to type. 
                    Enter the desk-top computer.  Now I spend most of my
                    time staring at a screen typing on a keyboard. 
                    Who'd a thunk?</font><br clear="none">
                </div>
                <div> <br clear="none">
                </div>
                <div style="clear:both;"><font size="4">Dave </font><br
                    clear="none">
                  <br clear="none">
                </div>
                <div> <br clear="none">
                </div>
                <div> <br clear="none">
                </div>
                <div style="font-family:arial,
                  helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black;">-----Original
                  Message-----<br clear="none">
                  From: jpaynepbr <a rel="noopener noreferrer"
                    shape="rect"
                    class="yiv8427189964moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                    ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
removedlink__cabe3a10-32c0-4544-8857-e2e2e9d85da1__href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br
                    clear="none">
                  To: 'TeriAnn J. Wakeman' <a rel="noopener noreferrer"
                    shape="rect"
                    class="yiv8427189964moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                    ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
removedlink__cabe3a10-32c0-4544-8857-e2e2e9d85da1__href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>;
                  triumphs <a rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                    class="yiv8427189964moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                    ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    target="_blank"
removedlink__cabe3a10-32c0-4544-8857-e2e2e9d85da1__href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br
                    clear="none">
                  Sent: Thu, Jan 30, 2020 9:07 pm<br clear="none">
                  Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired<br clear="none">
                  <br clear="none">
                  <div dir="ltr">In 1990, when I graduated HS, if you
                    were going to graduate and be "college bound", you
                    had to take a typing class.  It was Sr. year and it
                    was "Health" one semester, "Typing" the next or vice
                    versa.<br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    If you were "Vo-Tech" typing was an option, but
                    "Health" was still mandatory.  <br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    Same teacher taught both classes.  One of the most
                    bitter and angry people I have ever met.  <br
                      clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    The though of  "Health" class taught by an angry,
                    frigid, humorless 60 year old woman still makes me
                    wonder.  I guess if you had to manage the subject
                    matter with a bunch of teenagers, many of whom were
                    headed nowhere, after a few years, you would end up
                    like that too.<br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    Typing was one of the most valuable skills I ever
                    learned.  <br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    My kids all had typing classes in public schools in
                    1st and 2nd grade post 2010.  <br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    Time and technology change everything. <br
                      clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    I wish I could learn to type on a phone and manage
                    the "autocorrect", that would be something.<br
                      clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    -----Original Message-----<br clear="none">
                    From: Triumphs &lt;<a rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                    On Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman<br clear="none">
                    Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:38 PM<br
                      clear="none">
                    To: <a rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a><br
                      clear="none">
                    Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired<br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    On 1/30/20 6:23 PM, Bud Rolofson wrote:<br
                      clear="none">
                    &gt; Exactly, I took typing in eighth grade because
                    there lots of girls in <br clear="none">
                    &gt; that class and I was a horny 13 yo.  But my 50
                    yo typing muscle memory <br clear="none">
                    &gt; will always space twice after a period. Canâ€™t
                    help it.<br clear="none">
                    &gt;<br clear="none">
                    &gt; Busted.<br clear="none">
                    &gt;<br clear="none">
                    &gt; Bud<br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    I didn't take typing in high school because I didn't
                    want to be pigeonholed as a secretary. In early
                    years I went in to interview for a technical
                    position with a degree in electronics &amp; almost
                    always was asked what my typing speed was. When I
                    mentioned about a page ever 2 hours or so, I got
                    interviewed for the job I was applying for. I knew a
                    woman with a Stanford masters in physics who in the
                    mid 60s worked as a tech group secretary.<br
                      clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    During college when I needed to submit typed papers,
                    I traded typing for either a homemade apple pie or a
                    ready to bake homemade lasagna. I single space
                    between sentences only on emails. That is because my
                    mailer produces strange characters when I double
                    space a sentence. The books I have authored are all
                    double spaced between sentences and my reviewers
                    have forced me to use oxford comas. They are not
                    used in technical papers.<br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                    TeriAnn<br clear="none">
                    <br clear="none">
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>
              <br clear="none">
              <fieldset class="yiv8427189964mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
            </div>
          </div>
          <br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------6D60A8968DC5971E6CEDEFCB--

--===============4373436562708997890==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4373436562708997890==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 07:42:07 -0800

> I did take typing in HS. It really helped me in the Army. I 
> became a RTT operator and could really push those 60 CPS 
> teletype machines.

I'd forgotten all about that: With the slower teletype machines (10 CPS on a
good day), to type at all fast, you had to learn to keep pressure on each
key until it went down.  Rather than jamming (like a regular typewriter),
the old ASR/KSR 33 teletypes just wouldn't let the key go down.

For me, typing was a required subject in both 7th & 8th grade.  Bunch of
worn out old mechanical Underwood typewriters, which would insert extra
spaces at random.  Kind of a Catch-22, extra spaces counted as errors, but
you couldn't tell when it inserted a space except by watching what you
typed, which also counted as an error.  But the classroom had two Royals,
that weren't as badly worn out (probably donated later), so I learned to
rush to typing class so I could grab one of the good typewriters.  Class was
held in the basement under a church, with drain pipes overhead that would
leak when they were used.  So, you also had to be careful to sit away from
the leaks; otherwise you'd hear a toilet flush and then get a drop of
"water" on your head.  Good times at the hands of the public school system!

I didn't use it much until 12th grade, when I took a course in computer
programming; but I've been a fair touch typist ever since.  No idea how many
lines of code I've typed (does fixing someone else's code count?), but it's
a bunch.

-- Randall