Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3 and TR4 Gearbox part numbers and interchange

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 19:53:45 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3497319546127103745==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0061_01D5E1DE.22E91E70"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01D5E1DE.22E91E70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Sounds like you need the factory parts manuals for all of those models. Even
that can be a challenge when part #'s are superseded but aren't reflected in
the older publications.

Alex Thomson

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Tr3 and TR4 Gearbox part numbers and interchange

Does anybody have a link or guide to X-Ref. Triumph TR2-6 gearboxes for part
numbers and interchange?

Had mangled TR6 gearbox come into the shop last year and have 4 broken TR3
gearboxes (one with a very low TS number +/- 7000) the other 3 with numbers
ranging from TS40000 to TS 59000, and a finally a TR4 Gearbox with a CT
number.

The TR4 box and the Low TS number box are both overdrive.

All the boxes are pretty well mangled and incomplete, but I reckon between
the 6 of them, I may be able to get both of the Overdrive boxes and maybe
one of the other ones in working order.  

I know the basic obvious differences between them, but am curious as to what
parts are interchangeable between them and which ones aren't, particularly
as it relates to the gears, sliding hubs, mainshafts and shifter mechanisms.

Jonas

 

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01D5E1DE.22E91E70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'>Sounds =
like you need the factory parts manuals for all of those models. Even =
that can be a challenge when part #&#8217;s are superseded but =
aren&#8217;t reflected in the older =
publications.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'>Alex =
Thomson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div=
><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt =
0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:10 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Tr3 and =
TR4 Gearbox part numbers and =
interchange<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Does anybody =
have a link or guide to X-Ref. Triumph TR2-6 gearboxes for part numbers =
and interchange?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Had mangled =
TR6 gearbox come into the shop last year and have 4 broken TR3 gearboxes =
(one with a very low TS number +/- 7000) the other 3 with numbers =
ranging from TS40000 to TS 59000, and a finally a TR4 Gearbox with a CT =
number.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The TR4 box and the Low TS number box are both =
overdrive.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>All the boxes are pretty well mangled and incomplete, =
but I reckon between the 6 of them, I may be able to get both of the =
Overdrive boxes and maybe one of the other ones in working order.&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I know the basic obvious differences between them, but =
am curious as to what parts are interchangeable between them and which =
ones aren&#8217;t, particularly as it relates to the gears, sliding =
hubs, mainshafts and shifter mechanisms.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Jonas<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0061_01D5E1DE.22E91E70--

--===============3497319546127103745==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3497319546127103745==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:23:38 -0800

> Sounds like you need the factory parts manuals for all of 
> those models. 

Which you can find (and download) here
https://is.gd/qAcphe

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

---

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 06:48:33 -0500

Wow! What a collection! This demonstrates how great this list and its
members are.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:24 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3 and TR4 Gearbox part numbers and interchange

-- Randall 

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:21:22 -0800

Wow, Thanks Randall!

Jonas

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 9:24 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] Tr3 and TR4 Gearbox part numbers and interchange

> Sounds like you need the factory parts manuals for all of those 
> models.

-- Randall