Subject: Re: [TR] Top Bows on early TRs

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 00:10:59 -0600

Bob,
I have had six TR3s, never seen a spring on mine or any others.   

The TR bow setup is very similar to your Morgan, which by the way I need bows for my +4.  

Bill
TS30800L
1954 Morgan Plus 4

“Cactus Jack drinks coffee black......” M.Murphy

> On Feb 1, 2020, at 10:57 PM, Bob Nogueira <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I don’t have a Triumph , or at least a whole Triumph being a Morgan owner, so forgive the lack of knowledge.
Many years ago I saw a early TR while had a spring loaded first bow for the top.  You would fasten the top to the car with only the rear bows in place the compress the first bow, put it in its place and release it so it tightened up the top .
Was this standard on all TRs? 
I never see a TR with the top up so haven’t been able to check at shows.
Thanks for any responses .
Bob Nogueira 
** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 00:10:59 -0600

Bob,

Bill
TS30800L
1954 Morgan Plus 4

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 23:55:19 -0800

Are you sure it was the front bow? 

There's an old trick for putting the top up in cold weather, when the vinyl
has shrunk.  You disconnect the rear bow from the webbing that normally
holds it in place, and put the top up with the rear bow folded forward
against the center bow.  That gives some extra slack to get the snaps
snapped, and the dog legs straightened out.  Then once you're sitting in the
car, you push the rear bow back as far as it will go, to pull the top tight.
As it stretches out more (both from tension and the sun warming it up), you
can push the bow back again, to keep pulling the top tight.

I've never seen one that was spring-loaded; my experience is that the bow
will stay in position without a spring (or web) to hold it there.  But that
doesn't mean someone hasn't used a spring while I wasn't looking.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Bob Nogueira
> Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2020 8:57 PM
> To: Triumph List
> Subject: [TR] Top Bows on early TRs
> 
> I don't have a Triumph , or at least a whole Triumph being a 
> Morgan owner, so forgive the lack of knowledge.
> Many years ago I saw a early TR while had a spring loaded 
> first bow for the top.  You would fasten the top to the car 
> with only the rear bows in place the compress the first bow, 
> put it in its place and release it so it tightened up the top .
> I never see a TR with the top up so haven't been able to 
> check at shows.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 06:00:28 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------F00BAB5980518E9A349EBEEC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 2/2/20 12:55 AM, Randall wrote:
> has shrunk.
New tops arrive without the snaps installed. I waited then installed my 
snaps when the weather was in the low 50s. There has been no problem 
erecting the canvas top when I decided it is cold enough to do it or for 
sun protection. I see people who have set their snaps up on a warm day 
fight to get their tops up all the time. Sorry, I've never seen a spring 
set up.

--------------F00BAB5980518E9A349EBEEC
 name="TWTR.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="TWTR.jpg"

--------------F00BAB5980518E9A349EBEEC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--------------F00BAB5980518E9A349EBEEC--

---

From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 09:09:26 -0600

--===============1340986333955194190==

--00000000000016a284059d993298

Some models of Sprites had spring loaded top frames.  There was a huge
number suppliers for aftermarket parts for sports cars in the sixties, many
literally cottage industries run from garages and basements.   I suppose it
is possible someone made a spring loaded top frame, but never heard of one,
most of the aftermarket focused on cosmetic and go faster parts.

Greg Lemon
TR250

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 7:00 AM TeriAnn J. Wakeman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--00000000000016a284059d993298
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Some models of Sprites had spring loaded top frames.=C2=
=A0 There was a huge number suppliers for aftermarket parts for sports cars=
 in the sixties, many literally cottage industries run from garages and bas=
ements.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I suppose it is possible someone made a spring loaded t=
op frame, but never heard of one, most of the aftermarket focused on cosmet=
ic and go faster parts.<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Greg L=
emon</div><div dir=3D"auto">TR250</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"=
><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 7:00 AM TeriAnn=
 J. Wakeman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" re=
l=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex">On 2/2/20 12:55 AM, Randall wrote:<br>
&gt; There&#39;s an old trick for putting the top up in cold weather, when =
the vinyl<br>
&gt; has shrunk.<br>
New tops arrive without the snaps installed. I waited then installed my <br=
snaps when the weather was in the low 50s. There has been no problem <br>
erecting the canvas top when I decided it is cold enough to do it or for <b=
r>
sun protection. I see people who have set their snaps up on a warm day <br>
fight to get their tops up all the time. Sorry, I&#39;ve never seen a sprin=
g <br>
set up.<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/t=
riumphs</a>=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer=
 noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><b=
r>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_bl=
ank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br=
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000016a284059d993298--

--===============1340986333955194190==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1340986333955194190==--

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 09:33:11 -0800

The TR1800 and TR2000 of the 1940's has compression springs but they don't
work quite like you described, they just assist in raising the top which is
permanently installed.
On my TR3 I did disconnect the rear bow from the webbing so I could get the
top up easier as Randall described. Actually I couldn't get it up (the
convertible top, aka hood, that is) at all. However, on a very hot sunny day
when protection from the sun is required, the top would get so loose it
would collapse. My solution was to fasten a double sided Velcro strip to the
webbing and after the top is up, wrap it around the bow.
Bob 

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2020 11:55 PM
To: 'Bob Nogueira'; 'Triumph List'
Subject: Re: [TR] Top Bows on early TRs

-- Randall

> From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> Bob Nogueira
> I don't have a Triumph , or at least a whole Triumph being a Morgan 
> owner, so forgive the lack of knowledge.
> Many years ago I saw a early TR while had a spring loaded first bow 
> for the top.  You would fasten the top to the car with only the rear 
> bows in place the compress the first bow, put it in its place and 
> release it so it tightened up the top .
> I never see a TR with the top up so haven't been able to check at 
> shows.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]