Subject: [TR] TR2 fuel gauge

From: John Deluca <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:55:35 -0600

Listers,
I’m completing a restoration on a 1955 TR2.  The fuel gauge isn't working.  Wiring is good, gauge was dead.  Finally opened the gauge and found a broken wire.  Repaired the wire.  Using mga guru instructions, I tried, for a long time, to calibrate the gauge.  I can set the Full position, but can’t get close to calibrating the 1/2 mark.  When I get it close, just the slightest pressure on the nut drives it to one end or the other.  Took what I had for calibration and tried it on the cars’s 3/4 full tank.  It read about 1/4.  I’m thinking that because the calibration for 1/2 tank is so touchy, there is a bigger problem.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.
John DeLuca

Sent from my iPad
** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 22:00:54 -0600

John,
The MGA Guru is my go to guy for testing too.  I got my guage to read 3/4 when full and just lived with it. Beyond that I’d send the gauge and the sender off to your favourite instrument repair shop, I like West Valley in Calif.  NFI
Bill

“Cactus Jack drinks coffee black......” M.Murphy

> On Jan 26, 2020, at 8:55 PM, John Deluca <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Listers,

Sent from my iPad

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 22:00:54 -0600

John,

Listers,

Sent from my iPad

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:31:02 -0800

Check that the resistor value has not drifted too much.  I don't recall the
correct value for the TR gauge offhand, but it's not the same as the MGA
that Barney "MGAguru" was working on.  It's worth checking the magnetic
coils as well, not only for resistance but for a short to ground inside the
coil.

Also make sure both the gauge and the sending unit are securely grounded.

When doing mine, I found that the tabs on the coils were not adequate to
keep them from turning.  They have to be turned so the gap between the pole
pieces and the moving armature is reasonably constant across the width of
the pole piece; which you can only see with the face removed.  Mine wanted
to turn so one corner was almost touching the armature.

I never did get mine very accurate across the scale; but it pointed to 'E'
before I ran out of gas, and 'F' after I filled the tank, so I thought it
close enough.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

> Listers,
> I'm completing a restoration on a 1955 TR2.  The fuel gauge 
> isn't working.  Wiring is good, gauge was dead.  Finally 
> opened the gauge and found a broken wire.  Repaired the wire. 
>  Using mga guru instructions, I tried, for a long time, to 
> calibrate the gauge.  I can set the Full position, but can't 
> get close to calibrating the 1/2 mark.  When I get it close, 
> just the slightest pressure on the nut drives it to one end 
> or the other.  Took what I had for calibration and tried it 
> on the cars's 3/4 full tank.  It read about 1/4.  I'm 
> thinking that because the calibration for 1/2 tank is so 
> touchy, there is a bigger problem.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.
> John DeLuca
>

---

From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 22:12:49 -0600

--===============0965705993518261968==

--0000000000009f8b60059d2b709e

Randall wrote: "I never did get mine very accurate across the scale; but it
pointed to 'E'
before I ran out of gas, and 'F' after I filled the tank, so I thought it
close enough."

I think that is about how they came from the factory, seems like the gauges
would usually spend about 3/4 of a tank reading over half a tank, then
seemingly run down the last half of the gauge very quickly.

Greg Lemon
TR250

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, 6:37 PM Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--0000000000009f8b60059d2b709e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Randall wrote: &quot;<span style=3D"font-family:sans-seri=
f;font-size:12.8px">I never did get mine very accurate across the scale; bu=
t it pointed to &#39;E&#39;</span><br style=3D"font-family:sans-serif;font-=
size:12.8px"><span style=3D"font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12.8px">before=
 I ran out of gas, and &#39;F&#39; after I filled the tank, so I thought it=
</span><br style=3D"font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12.8px"><span style=3D=
"font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12.8px">close enough.&quot;</span><div di=
r=3D"auto"><span style=3D"font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12.8px"><br></sp=
an></div><div dir=3D"auto"><font face=3D"sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-si=
ze:12.8px">I think that is about how they came from the factory, seems like=
 the gauges would usually spend about 3/4 of a tank reading over half a tan=
k, then seemingly run down the last half of the gauge very quickly.</span><=
/font></div><div dir=3D"auto"><font face=3D"sans-serif"><span style=3D"font=
-size:12.8px"><br></span></font></div><div dir=3D"auto"><font face=3D"sans-=
serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12.8px">Greg Lemon</span></font></div><div =
dir=3D"auto"><font face=3D"sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12.8px">TR2=
50</span></font></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, 6:37 PM Randall &lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><bl=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #=
ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Check that the resistor value has not drifted t=
oo much.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t recall the<br>
correct value for the TR gauge offhand, but it&#39;s not the same as the MG=
A<br>
that Barney &quot;MGAguru&quot; was working on.=C2=A0 It&#39;s worth checki=
ng the magnetic<br>
coils as well, not only for resistance but for a short to ground inside the=
<br>
coil.<br>
<br>
Also make sure both the gauge and the sending unit are securely grounded.<b=
r>
<br>
When doing mine, I found that the tabs on the coils were not adequate to<br=
keep them from turning.=C2=A0 They have to be turned so the gap between the=
 pole<br>
pieces and the moving armature is reasonably constant across the width of<b=
r>
the pole piece; which you can only see with the face removed.=C2=A0 Mine wa=
nted<br>
to turn so one corner was almost touching the armature.<br>
<br>
I never did get mine very accurate across the scale; but it pointed to &#39=
;E&#39;<br>
before I ran out of gas, and &#39;F&#39; after I filled the tank, so I thou=
ght it<br>
close enough.<br>
<br>
-- Randall <br>
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver<br>
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild<br>
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild <br>
<br>
&gt; Listers,<br>
&gt; I&#39;m completing a restoration on a 1955 TR2.=C2=A0 The fuel gauge <=
br>
&gt; isn&#39;t working.=C2=A0 Wiring is good, gauge was dead.=C2=A0 Finally=
 <br>
&gt; opened the gauge and found a broken wire.=C2=A0 Repaired the wire. <br=
&gt;=C2=A0 Using mga guru instructions, I tried, for a long time, to <br>
&gt; calibrate the gauge.=C2=A0 I can set the Full position, but can&#39;t =
<br>
&gt; get close to calibrating the 1/2 mark.=C2=A0 When I get it close, <br>
&gt; just the slightest pressure on the nut drives it to one end <br>
&gt; or the other.=C2=A0 Took what I had for calibration and tried it <br>
&gt; on the cars&#39;s 3/4 full tank.=C2=A0 It read about 1/4.=C2=A0 I&#39;=
m <br>
&gt; thinking that because the calibration for 1/2 tank is so <br>
&gt; touchy, there is a bigger problem.=C2=A0 Any thoughts will be apprecia=
ted.<br>
&gt; John DeLuca<br>
&gt; <br>
<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000009f8b60059d2b709e--

--===============0965705993518261968==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0965705993518261968==--

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 05:07:55 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9105875169611208866==
 boundary="------------A666DDCF9190EF20CD21EDBD"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------A666DDCF9190EF20CD21EDBD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 1/27/20 9:12 PM, Greg Lemon wrote:
> I think that is about how they came from the factory, seems like the 
> gauges would usually spend about 3/4 of a tank reading over half a 
> tank, then seemingly run down the last half of the gauge very quickly.
>
That's how mine work in both the TR3 and Land Rover (both 1960)

TeriAnn

--------------A666DDCF9190EF20CD21EDBD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/27/20 9:12 PM, Greg Lemon wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <font face="sans-serif"><span style="font-size:12.8px">I think
          that is about how they came from the factory, seems like the
          gauges would usually spend about 3/4 of a tank reading over
          half a tank, then seemingly run down the last half of the
          gauge very quickly.</span></font>
      <div dir="auto">
        <div dir="auto"><font face="sans-serif"><span
              style="font-size:12.8px"><br>
            </span></font></div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>That's how mine work in both the TR3 and Land Rover (both 1960)</p>
    <p>TeriAnn<br>
    </p>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------A666DDCF9190EF20CD21EDBD--

--===============9105875169611208866==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9105875169611208866==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 12:20:10 +0000 (UTC)

--===============7697689185348210410==
	boundary="----=_Part_240957_1343766879.1580214010505"

------=_Part_240957_1343766879.1580214010505
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 I have found that a very good, and maybe a better, fuel gauge is the trip odometer.
 
Dave 

-----Original Message-----
From: TeriAnn J. Wakeman <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Jan 28, 2020 6:08 am
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2 fuel gauge

I think that is about how they came from the factory, seems like the gauges would usually spend about 3/4 of a tank reading over half a tank, then seemingly run down the last half of the gauge very quickly.  
   That's how mine work in both the TR3 and Land Rover (both 1960) TeriAnn

------=_Part_240957_1343766879.1580214010505
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">I have found that a very good, and maybe a better, fuel gauge is the trip odometer.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: TeriAnn J. Wakeman &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Tue, Jan 28, 2020 6:08 am<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2 fuel gauge<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv5825069072">
<div>
    
<div class="yiv5825069072yqt9655865425" id="yiv5825069072yqtfd12035">
<div class="yiv5825069072moz-cite-prefix">On 1/27/20 9:12 PM, Greg Lemon wrote:<br clear="none">
    </div>

    <blockquote type="cite">
      </blockquote></div>
</div>

<div class="yiv5825069072yqt9655865425" id="yiv5825069072yqtfd83683"></div>

<div>
<div class="yiv5825069072yqt9655865425" id="yiv5825069072yqtfd48428"><font face="sans-serif"><span style="font-size:12.8px;">I think
          that is about how they came from the factory, seems like the
          gauges would usually spend about 3/4 of a tank reading over
          half a tank, then seemingly run down the last half of the
          gauge very quickly.</span></font></div>

<div>
        
<div><font face="sans-serif"><span style="font-size:12.8px;"><br clear="none">
            </span></font></div>

      </div>

<div>That's how mine work in both the TR3 and Land Rover (both 1960)</div>

<div>TeriAnn</div>

<div class="yiv5825069072yqt9655865425" id="yiv5825069072yqtfd18417"><br clear="none">
    </div>

<div class="yiv5825069072yqt9655865425" id="yiv5825069072yqtfd33730">
    <br clear="none">
  </div>
</div>
</div>

<div class="yqt9655865425" id="yqtfd58983"><br clear="none"></div>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_240957_1343766879.1580214010505--

--===============7697689185348210410==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7697689185348210410==--