Subject: Re: [TR] Front Crank Seal

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 00:13:09 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4694578672984581018==
	boundary="----=_Part_3158118_263179603.1575677589193"

------=_Part_3158118_263179603.1575677589193
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 one of the screws that hold the fan extension on, rubbing against the timing cover?
frank
    On Friday, December 6, 2019, 03:20:45 PM PST, Jim Vass <[email-masked]> wrote:  
 
 Hello Folks, I replaced the front crank seal that sits in the timing chain cover.It's a bit of a mission as the radiator has to be emptied and the support in front of the motor has to be removed to get the fan extension off.Purchased a new seal from Rimmers then had my mechanic friend insert it in the cover.Put it all back together and to hear a squeal, thought it was the belt so ran the motor without it, squeal still there.Took it apart again except left the cover on but loosened the fan extension, squeal went away, so not the tensioner.Put it back together, still squealed.Took it apart again and removed the cover this time had a look and couldn't see any problems, pushed the oil deflector back against the cog and put it all together again.It still squeals, it can only be the fan extension rubbing on either the deflector or the seal.Any thoughts as it's driving me nuts and i'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not driving the car.
Jim and the 1962 TR4 that was off the road for years being kind of restored.My 35th year with the car has just rolled over.** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

------=_Part_3158118_263179603.1575677589193
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"ydp2d9f2ddbyahoo-style-wrap" style=
=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px=
;"><div></div>
        <div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">one of the screws that hold =
the fan extension on, rubbing against the timing cover?</div><div dir=3D"lt=
r" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">f=
rank</div><div><br></div>
       =20
        </div><div id=3D"ydp7c3463a0yahoo_quoted_6183500314" class=3D"ydp7c=
3463a0yahoo_quoted">
            <div style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, s=
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
               =20
                <div>
                    On Friday, December 6, 2019, 03:20:45 PM PST, Jim Vass =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:
                </div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><br></div>
                <div><div id=3D"ydp7c3463a0yiv4976518604"><div dir=3D"ltr">=
Hello Folks, I replaced the front crank seal that sits in the timing chain =
cover.<div>It's a bit of a mission as the radiator has to be emptied and th=
e support in front of the motor has to be removed to get the fan extension =
off.</div><div>Purchased a new seal from Rimmers then had my mechanic frien=
d insert it in the cover.</div><div>Put it all back together and to hear a =
squeal, thought it was the belt so ran the motor without it, squeal still t=
here.</div><div>Took it apart again except left the cover on but loosened t=
he fan extension, squeal went away, so not the tensioner.</div><div>Put it =
back together, still squealed.</div><div>Took it apart again and removed th=
e cover this time had a look and couldn't see any problems, pushed the oil =
deflector back against the cog and put it all together again.</div><div>It =
still squeals, it can only be the fan extension rubbing on either the defle=
ctor or the seal.</div><div>Any thoughts as it's driving me nuts and i'm ge=
tting withdrawal symptoms from not driving the car.</div><div><br></div><di=
v>Jim and the 1962 TR4 that was off the road for years being kind of restor=
ed.</div><div>My 35th year with the car has just rolled over.</div></div></=
div>** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"nofollow" target=
=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a> **<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http:/=
/www.team.net/donate.html" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.te=
am.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail=
/triumphs " rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermai=
l/triumphs </a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"nofollow" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
om" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/option=
s/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br></div>
            </div>
        </div></body></html>
------=_Part_3158118_263179603.1575677589193--

--===============4694578672984581018==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4694578672984581018==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 16:13:28 -0800

> It still squeals, it can only be the fan extension rubbing on 
> either the deflector or the seal.

Huh?  Both the seal and the deflector belong inside the cover, the fan
extension is way out on the front of the pulley, which in turn is on the
front of the hub.  The only chance for rubbing should be the hub or bolts on
the outside of the front cover; or the deflector (slinger) rubbing against
the inside of the cover or the seal.

I'm wondering if perhaps something got assembled wrong.  Of course you
remembered to generously lubricate the hub & seal, so it's not the seal
running dry.

ISTR there is a pin that the cover has to fit over as well.  If it's not on
the pin, the pin might hold it out far enough to rub on the hub.

If all else fails, a light coating of machinists dye on the suspect areas
and another quick test firing, should leave distinct witness marks if
anything is rubbing.  But usually, I'd expect the marks to be visible
without the dye.
https://amzn.com/B00IKIBAA8

-- Randall