Subject: Re: [TR] 61 TR3A Question Brakes

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 12:31:03 -0600

No harm at all, the restrictor’s job is to keep the pads close to the rotor and minimize the pedal travel required.  You may notice a bit more pedal travel but you won’t hurt anything during your testing period.   

What were you doing before the problem started?  You mentioned the master cylinder, I had a similar problem on my TR3B.  Turned out that I had the MC rod adjusted in/out too far so it was not releasing the pressure, re-adjusted and problem went away.   hope your issue is a simple one. 

Bill B
TS30800L

Cactus Jack drinks coffee black......BWS

> On Nov 6, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

My front brakes feel like they are dragging and I heard that it can be
caused by faulty restrictor valve assembly (part number 116197 in Tr4 parts
manual).  I have same part on my 62 early Tr4.  The calipers have been
rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and dot 5.  New master cylinder too.
Any harm in removing the spring and "screw" internals on the restrictor
valve so fluid flows freely.  Also heard that you don't really need
restrictor valve.  
Thanks in advance,
Jim Henningsen
61 TR3A
62 TR4
75 TR6
82 Jeep CJ8

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 12:31:03 -0600

Bill B
TS30800L

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]> W7S7VU/gMO5g/McFwu+YxF6h6Ju8g30IP66wfZ50p4zM7e/FdajP9mrojgSD6vMQrkdQTQpSECeNU4Jy/sJGvS0Jw9NGiuz2TRTVhiEzu4GQTWB90oB7CH2x
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 12:43:14 -0600

--===============0603431271669036551==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------6553HRPE1YZMERB5WND3I07UHYL65J
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I've had mine disabled since around 1975=2E

The only downside to disabling the valve is that you may notice a low peda=
l after hard cornering=2E
At least for me, I've always still been able to get good brakes on the fir=
st application, the pedal just goes down farther than it usually does=2E Ki=
nd of disconcerting if you aren't expecting it, but it only takes one pump =
to bring it back up=2E

There is a modification to eliminate the low pedal, developed by "uncle ja=
ck" Drews IIRC and sold today by TRF (and probably others)=2E Probably a go=
od idea if you're going racing, but not really required on the street, IMO=
=2E I forget the change point offhand, but the factory quit fitting the val=
ve at some point, either during TR4 or maybe when the 4A was introduced=2E
-- Randall

On 6 November 2019 12:19:21 GMT-06:00, Jim Henningsen <trguy75@gmail=2Ecom=
> wrote:
>manual)=2E  I have same part on my 62 early Tr4=2E  The calipers have bee=
n
>rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and dot 5=2E  New master cylinder
>too=2E
>valve so fluid flows freely=2E  Also heard that you don't really need
>restrictor valve=2E =20
>Thanks in advance,
>Jim Henningsen
>61 TR3A
>62 TR4
>75 TR6
>82 Jeep CJ8
>
>** triumphs@autox=2Eteam=2Enet **
>
>Donate: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml
>Archive: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs=20
>http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/archive
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/triumphs/tr3driver@ca=2Err=2Eco=
m

------6553HRPE1YZMERB5WND3I07UHYL65J
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body>I've had mine disabled since around 1975=2E<br><br=
>The only downside to disabling the valve is that you may notice a low peda=
l after hard cornering=2E<br>At least for me, I've always still been able t=
o get good brakes on the first application, the pedal just goes down farthe=
r than it usually does=2E Kind of disconcerting if you aren't expecting it,=
 but it only takes one pump to bring it back up=2E<br><br>There is a modifi=
cation to eliminate the low pedal, developed by "uncle jack" Drews IIRC and=
 sold today by TRF (and probably others)=2E Probably a good idea if you're =
going racing, but not really required on the street, IMO=2E I forget the ch=
ange point offhand, but the factory quit fitting the valve at some point, e=
ither during TR4 or maybe when the 4A was introduced=2E<br>-- Randall<br><b=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 6 November 2019 12:19:21 GMT-06:00, Jim Hen=
ningsen &lt;trguy75@gmail=2Ecom&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"=
 style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204,=
 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">My front brakes feel like they are dragging and I he=
ard that it can be<br>caused by faulty restrictor valve assembly (part numb=
er 116197 in Tr4 parts<br>manual)=2E  I have same part on my 62 early Tr4=
=2E  The calipers have been<br>rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and do=
t 5=2E  New master cylinder too=2E<br>Any harm in removing the spring and "=
screw" internals on the restrictor<br>valve so fluid flows freely=2E  Also =
heard that you don't really need<br>restrictor valve=2E  <br>Thanks in adva=
nce,<br>Jim Henningsen<br>61 TR3A<br>62 TR4<br>75 TR6<br>82 Jeep CJ8<br><br=
>** triumphs@autox=2Eteam=2Enet **<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www=2Et=
eam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml</a><br>Archi=
ve: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs">http://www=2Etea=
m=2Enet/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/archive"=
>http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/archive</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"=
http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/triumphs/tr3driver@ca=2Err=2Ecom"=
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/triumphs/tr3driver@ca=2Err=2Ecom=
</a><br></pre></blockquote></div></body></html>
------6553HRPE1YZMERB5WND3I07UHYL65J--

--===============0603431271669036551==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0603431271669036551==--

---

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 14:51:15 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8295689953710032246==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_01E6_01D594B1.A4A24D80"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_01E6_01D594B1.A4A24D80
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks.  After removing and inspecting, I think the spring was binding =
on the threads and staying shut.  I am going to removing spring and =
screw and reinstall.  My front tires were locked up prior.  Amazing.  =
Jim=20

=20

From: Randall <[email-masked]>=20
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 1:43 PM
To: [email-masked]; Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>; =
'Triumphs' <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] 61 TR3A Question Brakes

=20

I've had mine disabled since around 1975.

The only downside to disabling the valve is that you may notice a low =
pedal after hard cornering.
At least for me, I've always still been able to get good brakes on the =
first application, the pedal just goes down farther than it usually =
does. Kind of disconcerting if you aren't expecting it, but it only =
takes one pump to bring it back up.

There is a modification to eliminate the low pedal, developed by "uncle =
jack" Drews IIRC and sold today by TRF (and probably others). Probably a =
good idea if you're going racing, but not really required on the street, =
IMO. I forget the change point offhand, but the factory quit fitting the =
valve at some point, either during TR4 or maybe when the 4A was =
introduced.
-- Randall

On 6 November 2019 12:19:21 GMT-06:00, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked] =

My front brakes feel like they are dragging and I heard that it can be
caused by faulty restrictor valve assembly (part number 116197 in Tr4 =
parts
manual).  I have same part on my 62 early Tr4.  The calipers have been
rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and dot 5.  New master cylinder =
too.
Any harm in removing the spring and "screw" internals on the restrictor
valve so fluid flows freely.  Also heard that you don't really need
restrictor valve. =20
Thanks in advance,
Jim Henningsen
61 TR3A
62 TR4
75 TR6
82 Jeep CJ8

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  =

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_01E6_01D594B1.A4A24D80
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks.=C2=A0 After removing and inspecting, I think =
the spring was binding on the threads and staying shut.=C2=A0 I am going =
to removing spring and screw and reinstall.=C2=A0 My front tires were =
locked up prior.=C2=A0 Amazing.=C2=A0 Jim <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Randall =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, November 06, =
2019 1:43 PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; Jim Henningsen =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;; 'Triumphs' =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [TR] 61 TR3A =
Question Brakes<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>I've had mine disabled since around =
1975.<br><br>The only downside to disabling the valve is that you may =
notice a low pedal after hard cornering.<br>At least for me, I've always =
still been able to get good brakes on the first application, the pedal =
just goes down farther than it usually does. Kind of disconcerting if =
you aren't expecting it, but it only takes one pump to bring it back =
up.<br><br>There is a modification to eliminate the low pedal, developed =
by &quot;uncle jack&quot; Drews IIRC and sold today by TRF (and probably =
others). Probably a good idea if you're going racing, but not really =
required on the street, IMO. I forget the change point offhand, but the =
factory quit fitting the valve at some point, either during TR4 or maybe =
when the 4A was introduced.<br>-- Randall<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On 6 November 2019 12:19:21 GMT-06:00, Jim Henningsen =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><blockquote style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid =
#CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in'><pre>My front brakes feel like =
they are dragging and I heard that it can be<br>caused by faulty =
restrictor valve assembly (part number 116197 in Tr4 =
parts<br>manual).=C2=A0 I have same part on my 62 early Tr4.=C2=A0 The =
calipers have been<br>rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and dot =
5.=C2=A0 New master cylinder too.<br>Any harm in removing the spring and =
&quot;screw&quot; internals on the restrictor<br>valve so fluid flows =
freely.=C2=A0 Also heard that you don't really need<br>restrictor =
valve.=C2=A0 <br>Thanks in advance,<br>Jim Henningsen<br>61 TR3A<br>62 =
TR4<br>75 TR6<br>82 Jeep CJ8<br><br>** <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> =
**<br><br>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/piper=
mail/triumphs</a>=C2=A0 <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br><=
br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
m">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>=
<o:p></o:p></pre></blockquote></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_01E6_01D594B1.A4A24D80--

--===============8295689953710032246==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8295689953710032246==--

---

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 14:54:46 -0500

Thanks Bill.  The front tires were locked via brakes.  It has always been dragging a little even before the new MC, but never locked up.  After going to get a cup of coffee, when I returned, the front wheels spun.  Weird.  After removing the whole brake union assembly (PITA), I removed the spring and screw in the restrictor valve.  Will reinstall and test.  If still happens, I'll check the MC rod.  
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 1:31 PM
To: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] 61 TR3A Question Brakes

Bill B
TS30800L

> On Nov 6, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

My front brakes feel like they are dragging and I heard that it can be caused by faulty restrictor valve assembly (part number 116197 in Tr4 parts manual).  I have same part on my 62 early Tr4.  The calipers have been rebuilt, new seals, ss pistons, hoses and dot 5.  New master cylinder too.
Any harm in removing the spring and "screw" internals on the restrictor valve so fluid flows freely.  Also heard that you don't really need restrictor valve.  
Thanks in advance,
Jim Henningsen
61 TR3A
62 TR4
75 TR6
82 Jeep CJ8