Subject: [TR] Crank shaft bearings,1965 TR4A

From: David P <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 13:04:16 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2559052802540247144==
 boundary="------------882DDF96FDFED58CB18CB0FD"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------882DDF96FDFED58CB18CB0FD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [TR] Crank shaft bearings,1965 TR4A
Date: 	Thu, 3 Oct 2019 10:38:43 -0600
From: 	David P <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

I suspect you might be trying to avoid the effort to take the engine 
apart.... I'll say, that being the case you could have someone make 
babbet bearings that might do what you seek.... or not. Best to have the 
crank machined and buy proper bearings. The machining isn't all that 
expensive... DaveP

On 10/3/2019 9:24 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Good day all.  Any experience or  recommendations for best bearings to 
> use on an old, maybe not so concentric, crankshaft.   Mechanic/ friend 
> has schooled me that a perfect, recently machined crankshaft can 
> tolerate hard bearings that will last a long time without any need to 
> conform to crankshaft irregularities.   An old out of round crank 
> needs bearing material that is somewhat malleable and can embed into 
> the irregularities but is so soft they usually don't last as long.   
> The old Clevite 77 bearings had both advantages of/embeddability/ and 
> a durable alloy.  However, it seems that those NOS bearings are now 
> unavailable  I think I read that the King Bearings are the closest to 
> them.  Thanks, Arnold
>
> [email-masked]  **
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs   http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here:WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/

--------------882DDF96FDFED58CB18CB0FD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-forward-container"><br>
      <br>
      -------- Forwarded Message --------
      <table class="moz-email-headers-table" cellspacing="0"
        cellpadding="0" border="0">
        <tbody>
          <tr>
            <th valign="BASELINE" nowrap="nowrap" align="RIGHT">Subject:
            </th>
            <td>Re: [TR] Crank shaft bearings,1965 TR4A</td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <th valign="BASELINE" nowrap="nowrap" align="RIGHT">Date: </th>
            <td>Thu, 3 Oct 2019 10:38:43 -0600</td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <th valign="BASELINE" nowrap="nowrap" align="RIGHT">From: </th>
            <td>David P <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <th valign="BASELINE" nowrap="nowrap" align="RIGHT">To: </th>
            <td><a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></td>
          </tr>
        </tbody>
      </table>
      <br>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <p>I suspect you might be trying to avoid the effort to take the
        engine apart.... I'll say, that being the case you could have
        someone make babbet bearings that might do what you seek.... or
        not. Best to have the crank machined and buy proper bearings.
        The machining isn't all that expensive... DaveP<br>
      </p>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/3/2019 9:24 AM, <a
          class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
          href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
          charset=UTF-8">
        <div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
          font-size: 12pt; color: #000000">
          <div>Good day all.  Any experience or  recommendations for
            best bearings to use on an old, maybe not so concentric,
            crankshaft.   Mechanic/ friend has schooled me that a
            perfect, recently machined crankshaft can tolerate hard
            bearings that will last a long time without any need to
            conform to crankshaft irregularities.   An old out of round
            crank needs bearing material that is somewhat malleable and
            can embed into the irregularities but is so soft they
            usually don't last as long.   The old Clevite 77 bearings
            had both advantages of<span class="st"><em> embeddability</em></span>
            and a durable alloy.  However, it seems that those NOS
            bearings are now unavailable  I think I read that the King
            Bearings are the closest to them.  Thanks, Arnold  <br>
          </div>
        </div>
        <br>
        <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/" moz-do-not-send="true">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------882DDF96FDFED58CB18CB0FD--

--===============2559052802540247144==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2559052802540247144==--