Subject: [TR] any TR7 folks put on a clyinder head using ARP bolt kit?

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 15:21:08 -0700

--===============1168431399399809152==

--00000000000000169a059522a35c

I'm installing a head on a Stag using an ARP cylinder head kit for a
TR7.Someone on the Stag list mentioned if using the provided lube, that the
clamping load should be reduced by about 15% from what the Stags ROM says.
The Stag ROM says to install studs and bolts dry and to clamp everything
down to about 55 lbs / inch Anyone agree with this?

Also, they mentioned since the clamping load is different because the studs
go in at an angle to the head and not perpendicular, The bolts should be
torqued down less than mentioned in the ROM.

Any thoughts

Sujit

-- 
Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California

https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/

--00000000000000169a059522a35c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I&#39;m installing a head on a Stag using an ARP cylinder =
head kit for a TR7.Someone on the Stag list mentioned if using the provided=
 lube, that the clamping load should be reduced by about 15% from what the =
Stags ROM says. The Stag ROM says to install studs and bolts dry and to cla=
mp everything down to about 55 lbs / inch Anyone agree=C2=A0with this?<div>=
<br></div><div>Also, they mentioned since the clamping load is different be=
cause the studs go in at an angle to the head and not perpendicular, The bo=
lts should be torqued down less than mentioned in the ROM.</div><div><br></=
div><div>Any thoughts</div><div><br></div><div>Sujit<br clear=3D"all"><div>=
<br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=
=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Sujit Roy<br>Cupertino, Californ=
ia</div><div><br><a href=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/" target=
=3D"_blank">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></div></div><=
/div></div></div>

--00000000000000169a059522a35c--

--===============1168431399399809152==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1168431399399809152==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 16:19:54 -0700

My approach would be to find out what ARP recommends for the TR7, and copy
that.  While I haven't bought any, I've seen that kit, and it appears to me
that ARP did some engineering (in the form of adding reduced diameter
sections to improve elasticity) to better track the changes in head
thickness (vs stud/bolt length) over temperature.

Although TR7 heads aren't identical, they are close enough that the clamping
problem should be exactly the same.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Sujit Roy
> Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:21 PM
> To: Triumphs
> Subject: [TR] any TR7 folks put on a clyinder head using ARP bolt kit?
> 
> I'm installing a head on a Stag using an ARP cylinder head 
> kit for a TR7.Someone on the Stag list mentioned if using the 
> provided lube, that the clamping load should be reduced by 
> about 15% from what the Stags ROM says. The Stag ROM says to 
> install studs and bolts dry and to clamp everything down to 
> about 55 lbs / inch Anyone agree with this?
> 
> Also, they mentioned since the clamping load is different 
> because the studs go in at an angle to the head and not 
> perpendicular, The bolts should be torqued down less than 
> mentioned in the ROM.
> 
> Any thoughts
> 
> Sujit