Subject: [TR] 62 TR4 Temp Gauge

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 19:06:47 -0400

Question.  I am still having a challenge with the electric temperature gauge
on my 62 TR4.  I am now thinking it might be a bad gauge.  As soon as I
start running the engine the temp gauge pegs to max.  I know by the laser
temp gun I have that it is not running above 165 on the coolant in the
radiator.  I swapped the original voltage stabilizer for a new neg ground
one and it still does the same thing.  I replaced the temp sending unit and
no change.  Bad gauge?  It worked a few years back in 2012 before I took the
car off the road for a restoration.  Does Nisonger rebuild these smaller
gauges?  
Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  
Jim Henningsen
Ocala FL
60 TR3A
61 TR3A
62 TR4
75 TR6
82 Jeep CJ8

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 17:13:26 -0700

There are two adjustments in the back of the gauge.  On one of my Stag
voltmeters (which is basically the same movement), one of those adjustments
was so loose that it would move by just laying the gauge on the bench a bit
too hard.  I re-staked the rivet just a bit to give it more friction.

The adjustments have slots, but don't really turn. Instead, the slot moves
sideways to change the adjustment.  I made up a simple tool to make it
easier to move them.  I started with a 1/4" bolt and turned the end on the
lathe, but I think you could make something just as effective from an old
cheap screwdriver and some work with a file.
https://imgur.com/xkp7HYz

Yes, I believe most of the gauge rebuilders (Nisonger, Mo-Ma, North
Hollywood, Valley Instrument, etc) will "do" the smaller gauges.  But I kind
of like doing myself when I can.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

> Question.  I am still having a challenge with the electric 
> temperature gauge on my 62 TR4.  I am now thinking it might 
> be a bad gauge.  As soon as I start running the engine the 
> temp gauge pegs to max.  I know by the laser temp gun I have 
> that it is not running above 165 on the coolant in the 
> radiator.  I swapped the original voltage stabilizer for a 
> new neg ground one and it still does the same thing.  I 
> replaced the temp sending unit and no change.  Bad gauge?  It 
> worked a few years back in 2012 before I took the car off the 
> road for a restoration.

---

From: greg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 21:10:46 -0500

I have cosmetically restored many gauges from all models of Triumph cars. All of the bimetallic small gauges draw 75mA at half scale. 120 MA puts the needle at the top mark and 150 mA pegs the needle to max.
The bimetallic gauges are purely resistive and only full battery voltage would cause the needle to peg on start up. I can not see where any gauge defect would create the symptoms you describe.
Perhaps others can share an idea why you are seeing what you describe.

Greg G.

On Sep 29, 2019 6:06 PM, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] 

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 11:46:29 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4120899007215863580==
	boundary="----=_Part_832302_1897282471.1569843989809"

------=_Part_832302_1897282471.1569843989809
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 I must admit a little confusion.=C2=A0 I know they made a change in gauge =
styles between the TR3 and TR4 but this is an early (very early) TR4 and it=
 may have a TR3-style gauge.=C2=A0 Bit then they never used an electric tem=
p gauge on the TR3.
That said, IF it is a later style gauge a shorted sensor wire would cause a=
 full scale indication on the gauge.=C2=A0 The common test is to unplug the=
 wire from the sender and see if the gauge behaves differently.=20
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: greg <[email-masked]>
To: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>; 'Triumphs' <[email-masked]=
Sent: Sun, Sep 29, 2019 9:11 pm
Subject: Re: [TR] 62 TR4 Temp Gauge

I have cosmetically restored many gauges from all models of Triumph cars. A=
ll of the bimetallic small gauges draw 75mA at half scale. 120 MA puts the =
needle at the top mark and 150 mA pegs the needle to max.
The bimetallic gauges are purely resistive and only full battery voltage wo=
uld cause the needle to peg on start up. I can not see where any gauge defe=
ct would create the symptoms you describe.
Perhaps others can share an idea why you are seeing what you describe.

Greg G.

On Sep 29, 2019 6:06 PM, Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Question.=C2=A0 I am still having a challenge with the electric temperatu=
re gauge=20
> on my 62 TR4.=C2=A0 I am now thinking it might be a bad gauge.=C2=A0 As s=
oon as I=20
> start running the engine the temp gauge pegs to max.=C2=A0 I know by the =
laser=20
> temp gun I have that it is not running above 165 on the coolant in the=20
> radiator.=C2=A0 I swapped the original voltage stabilizer for a new neg g=
round=20
> one and it still does the same thing.=C2=A0 I replaced the temp sending u=
nit and=20
> no change.=C2=A0 Bad gauge?=C2=A0 It worked a few years back in 2012 befo=
re I took the=20
> car off the road for a restoration.=C2=A0 Does Nisonger rebuild these sma=
ller=20
> gauges?=C2=A0=20
> Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.=C2=A0=20
> Jim Henningsen=20
> Ocala FL=20
> 60 TR3A=20
> 61 TR3A=20
> 62 TR4=20
> 75 TR6=20
> 82 Jeep CJ8=20

------=_Part_832302_1897282471.1569843989809
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">I must admit a little confusion.&nbsp; I know they made a change in gauge styles between the TR3 and TR4 but this is an early (very early) TR4 and it may have a TR3-style gauge.&nbsp; Bit then they never used an electric temp gauge on the TR3.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">That said, IF it is a later style gauge a shorted sensor wire would cause a full scale indication on the gauge.&nbsp; The common test is to unplug the wire from the sender and see if the gauge behaves differently. </font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: greg &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: Jim Henningsen &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; 'Triumphs' &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Sun, Sep 29, 2019 9:11 pm<br>
Subject: Re: [TR] 62 TR4 Temp Gauge<br>
<br>

<div dir="ltr">I have cosmetically restored many gauges from all models of Triumph cars. All of the bimetallic small gauges draw 75mA at half scale. 120 MA puts the needle at the top mark and 150 mA pegs the needle to max.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">The bimetallic gauges are purely resistive and only full battery voltage would cause the needle to peg on start up. I can not see where any gauge defect would create the symptoms you describe.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Perhaps others can share an idea why you are seeing what you describe.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Greg G.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">On Sep 29, 2019 6:06 PM, Jim Henningsen &lt;<a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" rel="noopener noreferrer" removedlink__3388b1f8-ebd5-4d65-bdab-106179038774__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt;<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; Question.&nbsp; I am still having a challenge with the electric temperature gauge <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; on my 62 TR4.&nbsp; I am now thinking it might be a bad gauge.&nbsp; As soon as I <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; start running the engine the temp gauge pegs to max.&nbsp; I know by the laser <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; temp gun I have that it is not running above 165 on the coolant in the <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; radiator.&nbsp; I swapped the original voltage stabilizer for a new neg ground <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; one and it still does the same thing.&nbsp; I replaced the temp sending unit and <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; no change.&nbsp; Bad gauge?&nbsp; It worked a few years back in 2012 before I took the <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; car off the road for a restoration.&nbsp; Does Nisonger rebuild these smaller <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; gauges?&nbsp; <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.&nbsp; <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; Jim Henningsen <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; Ocala FL <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; 60 TR3A <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; 61 TR3A <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; 62 TR4 <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; 75 TR6 <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">&gt; 82 Jeep CJ8 <br>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_832302_1897282471.1569843989809--

--===============4120899007215863580==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4120899007215863580==--