Subject: Re: [TR] Sleepless in Ocala Update

From: Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 11:29:40 -0400

Jim,

I ditched the mechanical fuel pumps when I restored my 63 4. The 4 was 
the first to get a Facet pump with regulator. The pump is mounted to the 
outside rear of the trunk with filter. The pump was replaced with a 
metal block off and I mounted a pressure regulator + gauge. The assembly 
is about 20 years old and pump works fine. A few years later I did the 
same thing with my 58 TR3.

When I did my 72 6, same thing. Facet + regulator from Jegs.

All three setups have never failed me. There are other pumps available 
that are just as reliable and a bit quieter. But once the cars start I 
cant hear the pump.

Sounds to me that the lobe on the cam is worn.

Bob

On 7/12/19 10:50 AM, Jim Henningsen wrote:
> List:
> I checked the gas tank and no pressure when opening tank.  I did determine
> after testing the fuel pump by cranking engine and putting fuel inlet line
> near carb into a catch can that the mechanical lever is not pumping any
> fuel.  Hand lever still does.  I removed the pump, inspected the lever and
> tested it manually off car and it does pull gas out.  Reinstalled and
> believe it is correct installation and hooked it back up.  Crank engine and
> no fuel being pumped into can.  The pump is a good quality repro but maybe
> something wrong with lever.  Our club member mechanical expert thought it
> might be a cam lobe issue.  I don't have a spare electric fuel pump to
> quickly hook u p but sure that would fix it.  I would prefer to use a stock
> pump though.
>
> Going to order a pump rebuild kit for a spare original AC pump that I have
> and see if that works.  Stay tuned.
>
> Jim Henningsen
> Ocala FL
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:33:18 -0700

I have an aftermarket (regrind?) cam and had been plagued with poor 
starting, rough slow idle, engine dying at idle, and sometimes just 
running out of steam and stumbling at full throttle. After a lot of 
experimentation I concluded that the pump lobe on the cam is under size 
and barely touching the pump lever causing just a partial pump. My idle 
fuel pressure was less than one lb, but the hand pump leaver pumped a 
strong flow. I tried original and aftermarket mechanical pumps with no 
improvements. Finally I added a low pressure high volume electric pump 
back by the fuel tank and the engine was transformed. With 3 lbs at 
idle, the engine started easily and idled properly. And it no longer ran 
out of steam at full throttle. The accelerator pumps (DCOE) worked 
properly at sudden full throttle off idle without stumbling and almost 
dying.

TeriAnn

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:59:54 -0400

--===============1566389026614751717==

--000000000000c41e46058d7ed756

I helped a club member who somehow got the arm on the wrong side of the cam
lobe....  Definitely didn't work.

--000000000000c41e46058d7ed756
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto"><br><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">I helped a cl=
ub member who somehow got the arm on the wrong side of the cam lobe....=C2=
=A0 Definitely didn&#39;t work.</div></div>

--000000000000c41e46058d7ed756--

--===============1566389026614751717==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1566389026614751717==--