Subject: [TR] TR3 Cooling

From: TERRY SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 21:38:10 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_1145547_864327654.1564018690738
	boundary="----=_Part_1145548_1175492470.1564018690738"

------=_Part_1145548_1175492470.1564018690738
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

First, thank you Randall.  I'd been experiencing a proper temperature during driving, but upon shut down, the float bowls overheated and made restart chancy until the float bowls cleared.  I installed a Spal Fan with a temp switch (with a manual override) not spliced to the key, but to the battery.  Drove on an errand, and my worry that the fan woul impede airflow through the radiator was unrealized.  Car ran at 180 perfectly.  But imagine my surprise coming out of Wally World with a new gallon of Prestone coolant concentrate, then heard this roaring sound coming from the car next to mine.  Nope.  It was from MY car.  The engine bay on shut down had overheated and the temp switch had kicked in like it was supposed to.  The fan was cooling the engine bay.  Car started right up.  Love it!

Randall suggested putting a T connector in the heater return hose, but I did change that to put it under the heater control valve.  See attached.  I worried the temp switch would crowd coolant flow to the heater, but test driving the heater showed not an issue, at least yet.  Good hot air coming out.  (I couldn't completely swap the fan for the heater (forgoing the heater control valve) because NH is spurious in its climate.  I'll need that heater come October.)  Note:  all connectors were 3/8ths NPT. 

So again, thank you all.  We're on pace for the hottest July on record.  An electric cooling fan is exceedingly timely. 

Car is completely sorted and running awesome.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire

------=_Part_1145548_1175492470.1564018690738
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
    <meta charset=3D"UTF-8">
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans=
-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">First, thank you Randall.&#160; I&#39;d be=
en experiencing a proper temperature during driving, but upon shut down, th=
e float bowls overheated and made restart chancy until the float bowls clea=
red.&#160; I installed a Spal Fan with a temp switch (with a manual overrid=
e) not spliced to the key, but to the battery.&#160; Drove on an errand, an=
d my worry that the fan woul impede airflow through the radiator was unreal=
ized.&#160; Car ran at 180 perfectly.&#160; But imagine my surprise coming =
out of Wally World with a new gallon of Prestone coolant concentrate, then =
heard this roaring sound coming from the car next to mine.&#160; Nope.&#160=
; It was from MY car.&#160; The engine bay on shut down had overheated and =
the temp switch had kicked in like it was supposed to.&#160; The fan was co=
oling the engine bay.&#160; Car started right up.&#160; Love it!<br></p><p =
style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: r=
gb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetic=
a,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Randall suggested putting a T =
connector in the heater return hose, but I did change that to put it under =
the heater control valve.&#160; See attached.&#160; I worried the temp swit=
ch would crowd coolant flow to the heater, but test driving the heater show=
ed not an issue, at least yet.&#160; Good hot air coming out.&#160; (I coul=
dn&#39;t completely swap the fan for the heater (forgoing the heater contro=
l valve) because NH is spurious in its climate.&#160; I&#39;ll need that he=
ater come October.)&#160; Note:&#160; all connectors were 3/8ths NPT.&#160;=
 <br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-ser=
if; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-fami=
ly: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">So again, thank yo=
u all.&#160; We&#39;re on pace for the hottest July on record.&#160; An ele=
ctric cooling fan is exceedingly timely.&#160; <br></p><p style=3D"font-siz=
e: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">=
<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-seri=
f; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Car is completely sorted and running awesome.<b=
r></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif;=
 color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family:=
 helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Terry Smith, &#39;59 =
TR3A<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-=
serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">New Hampshire<br></p></body></html>
=20
------=_Part_1145548_1175492470.1564018690738--

------=_Part_1145547_864327654.1564018690738
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=DSC_0029.JPG

------=_Part_1145547_864327654.1564018690738
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

------=_Part_1145547_864327654.1564018690738--