Subject: [TR] TR3 gearbox and starter motor

From: Frank Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 02:15:34 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2878728776380425745==
	boundary="----=_Part_258091_1356408055.1557022534454"

------=_Part_258091_1356408055.1557022534454
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

longish story that dont need to be told here.but.buddy chipped a tooth on f=
irst gear in TS16810 L.we amigos had 2 trans sitting doing nothing since co=
nverting to W58's.both working when parked.=C2=A0so we are just going to th=
row in a trans from a post 60,000 car.going to put new oil seals in front a=
nd back.i know the starters changed at some point.the center to center dime=
nsions of the holes in the bell housing to shaft are all equal.we are not c=
hanging flywheels or the high torque starter.before i bolt this back in, do=
 you foresee any problems?
do i recall the pin that holds the throw out bearing fork to the shaft went=
 into a hole in the early cars but just snugged up to a flat on the later c=
ars?=C2=A0thanksFrank

------=_Part_258091_1356408055.1557022534454
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-fami=
ly:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"><div>longi=
sh story that dont need to be told here.</div><div>but.</div><div>buddy chi=
pped a tooth on first gear in TS16810 L.</div><div>we amigos had 2 trans si=
tting doing nothing since converting to W58's.</div><div>both working when =
parked.&nbsp;</div><div>so we are just going to throw in a trans from a pos=
t 60,000 car.</div><div>going to put new oil seals in front and back.</div>=
<div>i know the starters changed at some point.</div><div>the center to cen=
ter dimensions of the holes in the bell housing to shaft are all equal.</di=
v><div>we are not changing flywheels or the high torque starter.</div><div>=
before i bolt this back in, do you foresee any problems?</div><div><br></di=
v><div>do i recall the pin that holds the throw out bearing fork to the sha=
ft went into a hole in the early cars but just snugged up to a flat on the =
later cars?</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>thanks</div><div>Frank</div><div><br=
></div><div><br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_258091_1356408055.1557022534454--

--===============2878728776380425745==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2878728776380425745==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 22:15:35 -0700

> we are not changing flywheels or the high torque starter.
> before i bolt this back in, do you foresee any problems?

The early tunnel will rub on the larger starter bulge.  You'll want to do
some massaging of the sheet metal to avoid that.  Or I believe a later
tunnel would fit if you have one (but you'd lose the hole for the dipstick).

The later gearbox also won't have the dipstick, which I find to be a nice
feature.  You might want to consider using the early top cover to keep the
dipstick.  It should fit the later 3A gearbox with no changes.

> do i recall the pin that holds the throw out bearing fork to 
> the shaft went into a hole in the early cars but just snugged 
> up to a flat on the later cars?

I don't think so; but maybe I'm not clear on what you are asking.  The pin
is tapered, the taper fits tightly into a matching tapered hole in the shaft
on all TR2-TR6.  It doesn't touch the flat (if any); the only contact with
the fork is the threads.

While it's apart, I suggest adding a 1/4" bolt to reinforce that joint.
Assemble the fork to the shaft outside the gearbox (make sure you turn it
the right way), then drill a hole slightly smaller than 1/4" through both
fork and shaft.  Disassemble, install the fork and shaft into the gearbox as
usual, then tap the 1/4" bolt into the hole.  Put a nut on finger-tight,
then cut off the protruding end of the bolt so it doesn't foul on the
gearbox.  Add some Loctite and torque the nut.  See
https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/s/Clutch-Shaft.pdf
For more info as well as alternate suggestions.

-- Randall