Subject: Re: [TR] tr250 wiring

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 20:15:47 -0400

--===============7620387077545639091==

--000000000000c836460587f0a733

I'd use the tr4 diagram.  The alternator should be pretty straightforward,
but seldom is (unless you bought the car from Randall).

I have the GM alternator on my Tr4. Output goes directly to the battery and
bypassed the amp meter as the system can't support the full out put.
Randall uses the amp meter with a shunt.

I update my wiring diagram with any updates as I go along. Alternator,
headlight relays, horn relays, usb charger, solid state ignition, etc.

--000000000000c836460587f0a733
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;d use the tr4 diagram.=C2=A0 The alternator should =
be pretty straightforward, but seldom is (unless you bought the car from Ra=
ndall).<br><br><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature" dir=3D"auto">I have =
the GM alternator on my Tr4. Output goes directly to the battery and bypass=
ed the amp meter as the system can&#39;t support the full out put.=C2=A0 Ra=
ndall uses the amp meter with a shunt.</div><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_si=
gnature" dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature" dir=
=3D"auto">I update my wiring diagram with any updates as I=C2=A0go along. A=
lternator, headlight relays, horn relays, usb charger, solid state ignition=
, etc.</div></div>

--000000000000c836460587f0a733--

--===============7620387077545639091==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7620387077545639091==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 17:29:03 -0700 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00B3_01D5010C.8B7629F0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00B3_01D5010C.8B7629F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

The wire functions are probably not an exact match for the TR250 diagram; in
particular there may be no IND output at all from the alternator.

The information I'm looking at (which may or may not actually match your
alternator) says early Delco units used "F" and "R" terminals; with F being
control voltage to the rotor (which is grounded to the case), and "R" being
an AC voltage to operate the relay contained inside the external regulator
box.  If there is an IND output for the dash lamp, it will be a 4th terminal
on the regulator.

Since you are reworking things anyway, have you considered using a more
modern alternator?  Unlike Ford, GM almost immediately went to an internally
regulated alternator.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

------=_NextPart_000_00B3_01D5010C.8B7629F0
	name="Delco external regulator.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Delco external regulator.JPG"

------=_NextPart_000_00B3_01D5010C.8B7629F0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------=_NextPart_000_00B3_01D5010C.8B7629F0--