Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 bypass hose question

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 18:48:16 +0000 (UTC)

--===============1392204160532618973==
	boundary="----=_Part_731387_314920020.1555699696805"

------=_Part_731387_314920020.1555699696805
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 Opinions vary.=C2=A0 Some say block it off completely with an aluminum (or=
 brass) plug sized to fit the hose ID.=C2=A0 Some say drill a small hole in=
 the plug so there is at least some circulation and others say leave it wid=
e open, the bypass isn't so great as to cause cooling issues.
But sticking a plug in the hose will retain the "original;" look.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>
To: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm
Subject: [TR] TR4 bypass hose question

I would like to install a regular (non bellows) 160 degree thermostat in my
62 TR4.=C2=A0 I am hearing that to do so I need to block off the bypass hos=
e.
I'd like to keep the stock look of the bypass hose installed.=C2=A0 Is ther=
e a
particular plug or bung that folks have used to insert into the bypass
opening on the water pump housing or thermostat housing that is effective.=
=C2=A0=20
Thanks in advance.
Jim Henningsen
Ocala, FL 34471

------=_Part_731387_314920020.1555699696805
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='3' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>
<div> <font size="3">Opinions vary.&nbsp; Some say block it off completely with an aluminum (or brass) plug sized to fit the hose ID.&nbsp; Some say drill a small hole in the plug so there is at least some circulation and others say leave it wide open, the bypass isn't so great as to cause cooling issues.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">But sticking a plug in the hose will retain the "original;" look.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Jim Henningsen &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: Triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] TR4 bypass hose question<br>
<br>

<div dir="ltr">I would like to install a regular (non bellows) 160 degree thermostat in my<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">62 TR4.&nbsp; I am hearing that to do so I need to block off the bypass hose.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">I'd like to keep the stock look of the bypass hose installed.&nbsp; Is there a<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">particular plug or bung that folks have used to insert into the bypass<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">opening on the water pump housing or thermostat housing that is effective.&nbsp; <br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Thanks in advance.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Jim Henningsen<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Ocala, FL 34471<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</font>
------=_Part_731387_314920020.1555699696805--

--===============1392204160532618973==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1392204160532618973==--

---

From: James Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 13:57:22 -0400

--===============6747318361357025374==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-C2C8FC3B-7515-49BD-9343-410DBA2535B7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-C2C8FC3B-7515-49BD-9343-410DBA2535B7
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks all for he opinions.  I believe my higher temps with bellows thermost=
at was due to higher pressure rad cap.   Instructions said not over 4 psi fo=
r cap with bellows or it compresses bellows.   I tested the temp sender and i=
t is good.   Decided on Installing a 160 newer version thermostat and see wh=
at it does.  My temp runs just over 185 in 70 degree weather today in FL.  W=
ill see how it does and possibly add a plug with small hole later and test a=
gain. =20
Jim Henningsen=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 19, 2019, at 2:48 PM, DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Opinions vary.  Some say block it off completely with an aluminum (or bras=
s) plug sized to fit the hose ID.  Some say drill a small hole in the plug s=
o there is at least some circulation and others say leave it wide open, the b=
ypass isn't so great as to cause cooling issues.
> I would like to install a regular (non bellows) 160 degree thermostat in m=
y
> 62 TR4.  I am hearing that to do so I need to block off the bypass hose.
> I'd like to keep the stock look of the bypass hose installed.  Is there a
 =20
> Ocala, FL 34471

--Apple-Mail-C2C8FC3B-7515-49BD-9343-410DBA2535B7
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto">Thanks all for he opinions. &nbsp;I believe my higher temps with bellows thermostat was due to higher pressure rad cap. &nbsp; Instructions said not over 4 psi for cap with bellows or it compresses bellows. &nbsp; I tested the temp sender and it is good. &nbsp; Decided on Installing a 160 newer version thermostat and see what it does. &nbsp;My temp runs just over 185 in 70 degree weather today in FL. &nbsp;Will see how it does and possibly add a plug with small hole later and test again. &nbsp;<div>Jim Henningsen&nbsp;<br><br><div id="AppleMailSignature" dir="ltr">Sent from my iPhone</div><div dir="ltr"><br>On Apr 19, 2019, at 2:48 PM, DAVID MASSEY &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><font color="black" size="3" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
<div> <font size="3">Opinions vary.&nbsp; Some say block it off completely with an aluminum (or brass) plug sized to fit the hose ID.&nbsp; Some say drill a small hole in the plug so there is at least some circulation and others say leave it wide open, the bypass isn't so great as to cause cooling issues.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Jim Henningsen &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
To: Triumphs &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br>
Sent: Fri, Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] TR4 bypass hose question<br>
<br>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</font></div></blockquote></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-C2C8FC3B-7515-49BD-9343-410DBA2535B7--

--===============6747318361357025374==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6747318361357025374==--