Subject: [TR] TR3A Questions

From: "Jim Henningsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 18:19:15 -0400

Hello list.  Two questions for the collective expertise.  1961 TR3A.

1.  What are the disadvantages of NOT putting a thermostat in the engine in
Florida?  I found out that the prev owner did not put one in.  So I
installed a new bellows type and it raises my normal operating temp from
just under 185 at idle to about 200+.  I verified it is working in pot of
hot water.  Opens at 180.  I have a stock water pump, new aluminum radiator
and yellow plastic fan on backwards as standard upgrade. Thinking that it is
restricting water flow.   I am considering pulling thermostat and running
without one and installing 6 blade water pump upgrade that I just got from
Moss.  Could also be the temp gauge but haven't verified.  

2. on my hydraulic brake lines, I have a restrictor valve assembly (part
number 116197 - pg 54 of parts manual), like my early TR4. Installed just
before 5 way connector on passenger side frame near front tire.  My brakes
drag a little and it isn't the rear drum adjust.  I had heard that the valve
assembly can cause that outcome when faulty.  I also heard it is ok to
remove it and just attach the brake line to the 5 way connector.  Any
thoughts on doing this?

Thanks,
Jim Henningsen
Ocala, FL 
61 TR3A
62 TR4
75 TR6

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive