Subject: [TR] Flat towing a TR3

From: "Art McEwen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 15:43:04 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============3799044387460212405==
Content-Language: en

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

----59f5e350611d91bf94460
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I read somewhere where this wasn't possible without disconnecting the driveshaft due to, I think, a bearing in the gearbox or O/D that doesn't get lubricated without the gearbox in gear. But I've also read reports of Kas Kasner and his contemporaries routinely flat towing to the race track. Which is true? Both? Neither? Or is Kas forgetting he used to disconnect the driveshaft at the end of the weekend?

I've seen several MGBs (different gearbox design?) and MX5s being flat towed behind RVs, I know the MX5 manual says it's a no-no.

Just wondering.

Art '60 TR3A.

----59f5e350611d91bf94460
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I read somewhere where this wasn=27t possible without disconnecting the =
driveshaft due to=2C I think=2C a bearing in the gearbox or O/D that doe=
sn=27t get lubricated without the gearbox in gear=2E=A0 =A0But I=27ve al=
so read reports of Kas Kasner and his contemporaries routinely flat towi=
ng to the race track=2E=A0 =A0 Which is true=3F=A0 Both=3F=A0 Neither=3F=
=A0 Or is Kas forgetting he used to disconnect the driveshaft at the end=
 of the weekend=3F=3Cdiv=3E=3Cbr /=3E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3EI=27ve seen seve=
ral MGBs (different gearbox design=3F) and MX5s being flat towed behind =
RVs=2C I know the MX5 manual says it=27s a no-no=2E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3E=3C=
br /=3E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3EJust wondering=2E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3E=3Cbr /=3E=
=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3EArt =2760 TR3A=2E=3C/div=3E

----59f5e350611d91bf94460--

--===============3799044387460212405==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3799044387460212405==--

---

From: DAVE HOGYE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 19:47:22 -0700 (PDT)

--===============1840182989581134288==
	boundary="----=_Part_705556_1364591261.1553827642946"

------=_Part_705556_1364591261.1553827642946
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hardy Prentice flat towed his TR3 all over the country for years behind his Jaguar XKE.  Hardy won the SCCA E-production championship in, if I remember correctly 1991 after 25 years or so trying.  He is one of our most important Triumph heros.  Hardy still lives in S.F. and still has his TR3 and the E-type.

I believe he disconnected the drive shaft.  If I find more info on that, I'll share it.

Dave H.

> On March 28, 2019 at 12:43 PM Art McEwen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

------=_Part_705556_1364591261.1553827642946
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
    <meta charset=3D"UTF-8">
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sa=
ns-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Hardy Prentice flat towed his TR3 all ov=
er the country for years behind his Jaguar XKE.&#160; Hardy won the SCCA E-=
production championship in, if I remember correctly 1991 after 25 years or =
so trying.&#160; He is one of our most important Triumph heros.&#160; Hardy=
 still lives in S.F. and still has his TR3 and the E-type.</p><p style=3D"f=
ont-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 5=
1, 51);">I believe he disconnected the drive shaft.&#160; If I find more in=
fo on that, I&#39;ll share it.</p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family:=
 helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Dave H.</p><blockqu=
ote type=3D"cite">On March 28, 2019 at 12:43 PM Art McEwen &#60;amcewen2@co=
geco.ca&#62; wrote: <br> <br>I read somewhere where this wasn&#39;t possibl=
e without disconnecting the driveshaft due to, I think, a bearing in the ge=
arbox or O/D that doesn&#39;t get lubricated without the gearbox in gear.&#=
160; &#160;But I&#39;ve also read reports of Kas Kasner and his contemporar=
ies routinely flat towing to the race track.&#160; &#160; Which is true?&#1=
60; Both?&#160; Neither?&#160; Or is Kas forgetting he used to disconnect t=
he driveshaft at the end of the weekend?<div><br></div><div>I&#39;ve seen s=
everal MGBs (different gearbox design?) and MX5s being flat towed behind RV=
s, I know the MX5 manual says it&#39;s a no-no.</div><div><br></div><div>Ju=
st wondering.</div><div><br></div><div>Art &#39;60 TR3A.</div>** triumphs@a=
utox.team.net ** <br> <br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html <br>Archi=
ve: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive <br>=
 <br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dlh=
[email-masked] <br></blockquote></body></html>
=20
------=_Part_705556_1364591261.1553827642946--

--===============1840182989581134288==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1840182989581134288==--