Subject: Re: [TR] Flat towing a TR3

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 11:35:49 +0000 (UTC)

--===============1762304003573158985==
	boundary="----=_Part_13107647_1528041463.1553859349215"

------=_Part_13107647_1528041463.1553859349215
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 The problem is the main shaft turns with the driveshaft but the layshaft a=
nd the gears turn with the engine.=C2=A0 When the engine is turning the lay=
 shaft is slinging oil all about inside the gearbox lubricating everything.=
=C2=A0 When the engine is not turning there is no lubrication action and if=
 the mainshaft is turning but the layshaft is not and there is no lubricati=
on the bronze bushings upon which the gears ride will wear.
Some have said to overfill the transmission to the point that at least part=
 of the mainshaft is submerged things will be fine.
Others have said they have towed many, many miles without problems.=C2=A0 T=
hat has not been my experience.=C2=A0 But I wonder if having an overdrive f=
itted changes everything.=C2=A0 The OD clutch extends below the oil level a=
nd will fling oil all about and it turns with driveshaft so its action shou=
ld, in theory, supply enough lubrication to the rest of the transmission to=
 keep things lubricated.
I guess you could stop every 15 minutes or so and start the engine and let =
it run for a minute to lub things up.=C2=A0 Or just let the engine idle for=
 the whole trip.

But to be on the safe side, disconnect the driveshaft.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Art McEwen <[email-masked]>
To: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Mar 28, 2019 9:05 pm
Subject: [TR] Flat towing a TR3

I read somewhere where this wasn't possible without disconnecting the drive=
shaft due to, I think, a bearing in the gearbox or O/D that doesn't get lub=
ricated without the gearbox in gear.=C2=A0 =C2=A0But I've also read reports=
 of Kas Kasner and his contemporaries routinely flat towing to the race tra=
ck.=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Which is true?=C2=A0 Both?=C2=A0 Neither?=C2=A0 Or is Kas =
forgetting he used to disconnect the driveshaft at the end of the weekend?
I've seen several MGBs (different gearbox design?) and MX5s being flat towe=
d behind RVs, I know the MX5 manual says it's a no-no.
Just wondering.
Art '60 TR3A.** [email-masked] **

------=_Part_13107647_1528041463.1553859349215
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='3' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>
<div> <font size="3">The problem is the main shaft turns with the driveshaft but the layshaft and the gears turn with the engine.&nbsp; When the engine is turning the lay shaft is slinging oil all about inside the gearbox lubricating everything.&nbsp; When the engine is not turning there is no lubrication action and if the mainshaft is turning but the layshaft is not and there is no lubrication the bronze bushings upon which the gears ride will wear.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Some have said to overfill the transmission to the point that at least part of the mainshaft is submerged things will be fine.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Others have said they have towed many, many miles without problems.&nbsp; That has not been my experience.&nbsp; But I wonder if having an overdrive fitted changes everything.&nbsp; The OD clutch extends below the oil level and will fling oil all about and it turns with driveshaft so its action should, in theory, supply enough lubrication to the rest of the transmission to keep things lubricated.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">I guess you could stop every 15 minutes or so and start the engine and let it run for a minute to lub things up.&nbsp; Or just let the engine idle for the whole trip.<br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">But to be on the safe side, disconnect the driveshaft.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Art McEwen &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Thu, Mar 28, 2019 9:05 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] Flat towing a TR3<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv4158344327">I read somewhere where this wasn't possible without disconnecting the driveshaft due to, I think, a bearing in the gearbox or O/D that doesn't get lubricated without the gearbox in gear.&nbsp; &nbsp;But I've also read reports of Kas Kasner and his contemporaries routinely flat towing to the race track.&nbsp; &nbsp; Which is true?&nbsp; Both?&nbsp; Neither?&nbsp; Or is Kas forgetting he used to disconnect the driveshaft at the end of the weekend?
<div><br>
</div>

<div>I've seen several MGBs (different gearbox design?) and MX5s being flat towed behind RVs, I know the MX5 manual says it's a no-no.</div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div>Just wondering.</div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div>Art '60 TR3A.</div>
</div>
** <a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" rel="noopener noreferrer" removedlink__2976a298-17be-4434-9ba1-f8d34985d215__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
</div>
</font>
------=_Part_13107647_1528041463.1553859349215--

--===============1762304003573158985==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1762304003573158985==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 07:42:13 -0400

> But to be on the safe side, disconnect the driveshaft.

My uncle flat-towed a van behind his coach.  He had some sort of added
clutch contraption that could disconnect the driveshaft from inside
the vehicle by simply pulling a lever.

But if I were towing something valuable, I'd use a trailer.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.