Subject: [TR] Opening Up Connecting Rod Oil Passages

From: "Bill Brewer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 18:48:10 -0800

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0595744869377056341==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0004_01D24D95.CBC755B0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01D24D95.CBC755B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

     So I am rebuilding a Standard Vanguard engine for a 1953 Morgan Plus 4.
The connecting rods have been laying on a shed floor for decades. They
cleaned up nicely, but the oiling hole through the connecting rod to the
small end bushings were all rusted solid. I made a tool out of a piece of
1/8 brass welding rod. I pounded the end flat, like a screwdriver, and
pounded it in while turning with a small Vise-grips. It got the hole opened
and rust poured out. The hole is about 0.180" diameter. I've been trying to
find a long 3/16ths tube brush (like a pipe cleaner) to clean them out
better, but no one makes one long enough. The brush needs to be about 5"
long and the longest that McMaster Carr has is 3". I could pull the small
end bushings out and go at it from both ends, but the bushings in there fit
the wrist pins perfectly and I would rather not mess them up if I can help
it.

     I have been considering buying a 12" long 3/16ths (.188") drill bit and
running that through. It might open up the hole a little bit, which might
not be a bad thing.

http://www.truevalue.com/product/3-16-x-12-In-High-Speed-Split-Point-Steel-D
rill-Bit/74680.uts

     Has anybody else been here? How did you get by this?

     TIA,

     Bill Brewer

     Tehachapi, CA

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01D24D95.CBC755B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So I am rebuilding a =
Standard Vanguard engine for a 1953 Morgan Plus 4. The connecting rods =
have been laying on a shed floor for decades. They cleaned up nicely, =
but the oiling hole through the connecting rod to the small end bushings =
were all rusted solid. I made a tool out of a piece of 1/8 brass welding =
rod. I pounded the end flat, like a screwdriver, and pounded it in while =
turning with a small Vise-grips. It got the hole opened and rust poured =
out. The hole is about 0.180&#8221; diameter. I&#8217;ve been trying to =
find a long 3/16ths tube brush (like a pipe cleaner) to clean them out =
better, but no one makes one long enough. The brush needs to be about =
5&#8221; long and the longest that McMaster Carr has is 3&#8221;. I =
could pull the small end bushings out and go at it from both ends, but =
the bushings in there fit the wrist pins perfectly and I would rather =
not mess them up if I can help it.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have been =
considering buying a 12&#8221; long 3/16ths (.188&#8221;) drill bit and =
running that through. It might open up the hole a little bit, which =
might not be a bad thing.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><a =
href=3D"http://www.truevalue.com/product/3-16-x-12-In-High-Speed-Split-Po=
int-Steel-Drill-Bit/74680.uts">http://www.truevalue.com/product/3-16-x-12=
-In-High-Speed-Split-Point-Steel-Drill-Bit/74680.uts</a><o:p></o:p></span=
></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Has anybody else =
been here? How did you get by this?<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
TIA,<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bill =
Brewer<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Tehachapi, CA<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p></div></bod=
y></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0004_01D24D95.CBC755B0--

--===============0595744869377056341==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0595744869377056341==--