Subject: [TR] Pesky exhaust leak

From: "Dave Connitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 18:57:11 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1411279615592717163==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0055_01D24A72.65540CE0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01D24A72.65540CE0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving last week. I haven't had a chance
to post much to the list but thought I would pass this on.

I have been enjoying my TR4A quite a bit this last driving season but am now
faced with about one more decent weekend until the dreaded white stuff
starts showing up. At that point, I can start doing some maintenance on a
few things I have come across.

One issue is that last year, the plastic cap on my clutch master cylinder
split, spilling dot3 brake fluid all over the master cylinder mounting
bracket and the top of the firewall where it sits. I have all the paint but
just couldn't bring myself to fix it while the weather was nice. 

The second issue is something I just noticed since I have been driving
around with the top up. I have an exhaust leak somewhere as I smell like a
tailpipe after about 30 minutes of driving with the top up. I have a
stainless steel exhaust with a 4 into 1 header terminating into dual exhaust
pipes. I have been trying to figure out a way to find the leak with the car
on the ground but that is hopeless. I did see something on YouTube though
that I am going to try. This guy used his shop vac with the hose plugged
into the exhaust instead of the suction end by connecting the hose to his
tail pipe, turning on the shop vac and then sprayed soapy water at each
joint until he found the leak. I guess I will have to get the car up on jack
stands to do it but it should work.

Finally, I bought a combination water temp./oil pressure gauge that fits
into the dash to replace my crappy temperature guage with the idea of using
the empty hole in the dash to add a oil temperature gauge. I have an
aluminum sump which has a bung for a sensor but the hole is just a tiny bit
too small to get the sender into the sump so I will have to remove the sump,
drill out the hole a bit and re-install it.

If I get all that done this winter it would be awesome.

Oh, and I found a rebuilt A-type overdrive that I will be picking up
sometime around February. 

Sounds like a busy winter for Dave.

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01D24A72.65540CE0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving last week. I =
haven&#8217;t had a chance to post much to the list but thought I would =
pass this on.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have been enjoying my =
TR4A quite a bit this last driving season but am now faced with about =
one more decent weekend until the dreaded white stuff starts showing up. =
At that point, I can start doing some maintenance on a few things I have =
come across.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>One issue is that last =
year, the plastic cap on my clutch master cylinder split, spilling dot3 =
brake fluid all over the master cylinder mounting bracket and the top of =
the firewall where it sits. I have all the paint but just couldn&#8217;t =
bring myself to fix it while the weather was nice. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The second issue is something I just noticed since I =
have been driving around with the top up. I have an exhaust leak =
somewhere as I smell like a tailpipe after about 30 minutes of driving =
with the top up. I have a stainless steel exhaust with a 4 into 1 header =
terminating into dual exhaust pipes. I have been trying to figure out a =
way to find the leak with the car on the ground but that is hopeless. I =
did see something on YouTube though that I am going to try. This guy =
used his shop vac with the hose plugged into the exhaust instead of the =
suction end by connecting the hose to his tail pipe, turning on the shop =
vac and then sprayed soapy water at each joint until he found the leak. =
I guess I will have to get the car up on jack stands to do it but it =
should work.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Finally, I bought a =
combination water temp./oil pressure gauge that fits into the dash to =
replace my crappy temperature guage with the idea of using the empty =
hole in the dash to add a oil temperature gauge. I have an aluminum sump =
which has a bung for a sensor but the hole is just a tiny bit too small =
to get the sender into the sump so I will have to remove the sump, drill =
out the hole a bit and re-install it.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>If I get all that done this winter it would be =
awesome.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Oh, and I found a rebuilt =
A-type overdrive that I will be picking up sometime around February. =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Sounds like a busy winter for =
Dave.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0055_01D24A72.65540CE0--

--===============1411279615592717163==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1411279615592717163==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:02:28 -0800

I would check the boot seal as well.  It is very common for exhaust to 
enter the car through the seal, or lack there of, once the top is 
installed when the exhaust terminates through a straight (rather than 
turned down) pipe just below the bumper.

It is usually most noticeable when there is only one window open.

If your exhaust leak is so small you have to spray soapy water on a 
pressurized system to find it it is very unlikely that it is leaking 
enough to get into the car.  Think of all the exhaust systems with a 
small hole in the muffler drilled by the manufacturer to release water 
from inside the pipe.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

---

From: TERRY SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:32:00 -0500 (EST)

--===============5657707616721555518==
	boundary="----=_Part_31864_1284213758.1480545121241"

------=_Part_31864_1284213758.1480545121241
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Just one thing that I know is unlikely, and that's to be sure that it's not an oil leak that, once you're driving, blows onto the hot exhaust.  It can smell (maybe somewhat?) like exhaust as it burns off?

> 
>     On November 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

------=_Part_31864_1284213758.1480545121241
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
    <meta charset=3D"UTF-8">
</head><body><p>Just one thing that I know is unlikely, and that&#39;s to b=
e sure that it&#39;s not an oil leak that, once you&#39;re driving, blows o=
nto the hot exhaust.&#160; It can smell (maybe somewhat?) like exhaust as i=
t burns off?<br></p><blockquote><p>On November 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM &#34;hdr=
[email-masked]&#34; &#60;[email-masked]&#62; wrote:</p><p>I would chec=
k the boot seal as well. It is very common for exhaust to<br>enter the car =
through the seal, or lack there of, once the top is<br>installed when the e=
xhaust terminates through a straight (rather than<br>turned down) pipe just=
 below the bumper.</p><p>It is usually most noticeable when there is only o=
ne window open.</p><p>If your exhaust leak is so small you have to spray so=
apy water on a<br>pressurized system to find it it is very unlikely that it=
 is leaking<br>enough to get into the car. Think of all the exhaust systems=
 with a<br>small hole in the muffler drilled by the manufacturer to release=
 water<br>from inside the pipe.</p><p>Edward Hamer<br>Petaluma CA</p><p>** =
[email-masked] **</p><p>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/don=
ate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http:/=
/www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums: <a href=
=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsubscri=
be/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/terryr=
[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/terryrs@comca=
st.net</a><br></p></blockquote></body></html>
=20
------=_Part_31864_1284213758.1480545121241--

--===============5657707616721555518==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5657707616721555518==--