Subject: [TR] Cleaning products

From: "Fisher, Ed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 11:18:20 +0000

--===============4007593870350856080==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_67A276399E247245AC2050FC103C4E8A4D76AA47DLEE12entticom_"

--_000_67A276399E247245AC2050FC103C4E8A4D76AA47DLEE12entticom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Reference: "Hello, everyone.  I recently picked up a 2002 Tacoma from North=
 Carolina.  88,000 miles and zero rust...why I didn't buy in the northeast.=
"

Terry:

Congratulations on finding a highly sought after truck that should bring yo=
u years and tens of thousands of trouble-free miles if taken care of as des=
igned.  May I respectfully suggest regularly scheduled fluid flushes using =
genuine Toyota products?  That is how I keep my Japanese vehicles going wel=
l over 200K with no engine or transmission drama.  It is also why I drive a=
 standard shift Honda, as their auto trannies can be weak, as can their hea=
dgaskets.  That's another story.  Regarding detailing products:  There are =
a host of really good products out there and everyone has their particular =
favorite.  Mine is Meguires tech wax 2.0.  It is relatively inexpensive, an=
d if put on as razor thin as you can get it, while ensuring complete covera=
ge, it will last awhile and comes off the paint like a dream.  My dashboard=
s don't see anything but dampened towels, as in the ones that I have just d=
ried the paint with after a hand wash and squeegee dry.  They are microfibe=
r towels and have just enough moisture from the nooks and crannies to do th=
e dash, console, etc.  Another towel gets the inside of the door jambs, rea=
r deck lid, under hood, gas filler, etc.  which makes it a little too dirty=
 for interior dash drying.  (Drying with two towels was something I picked =
up almost 50 years ago as a car-wash employee in Akron, Oh.)  Unlike the da=
shboards of yesteryear these vinyl dash components do not require 'feeding'=
 to forestall the eventual cracking.  They just don't seem to crack anymore=
.  Believe me, Dallas sees some ridiculous temperatures that would toast an=
 older dash, and door panel, and rear seat, and package tray, and even pain=
t.  The modern paint can still get cooked, which is why I apply wax at leas=
t twice a year, and park in the coveted shady spot whenever possible.  With=
 some TLC to your paint and resisting the temptation to put gee-whiz produc=
ts on your interior you should have a truck that will serve you well for de=
cades.  If you are in a salt-ridden state, I would strongly suggest regular=
 chassis baths during those seasons and a 'get under the truck and get soak=
ed at the quarter car wash' session at the first sign of Spring.  Oh, and I=
 believe the owner's manual specifies to use only a dampened cloth in the i=
nterior, with maybe a very mild soap if absolutely necessary, followed by a=
 rinse.  It does on later Toyotas.  I'm a big fan of Weather Tech mats too,=
 and just bought a beautifully designed set for my honey's Prius.  Rainy se=
ason is upon us.  (I'm a little nutty about preventative maintenance, just =
in case you didn't pick up on that. (Smile))

Have fun in your truck.  With good care they are as loyal as old dogs.

Ed in Dallas

--_000_67A276399E247245AC2050FC103C4E8A4D76AA47DLEE12entticom_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.PlainTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text";
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple">
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText">Reference: &#8220;Hello, everyone.&nbsp; I recent=
ly picked up a 2002 Tacoma from North Carolina.&nbsp; 88,000 miles and zero=
 rust...why I didn't buy in the northeast.&#8221;<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText">Terry:<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText">Congratulations on finding a highly sought after =
truck that should bring you years and tens of thousands of trouble-free mil=
es if taken care of as designed.&nbsp; May I respectfully suggest regularly=
 scheduled fluid flushes using genuine
 Toyota products?&nbsp; That is how I keep my Japanese vehicles going well =
over 200K with no engine or transmission drama.&nbsp; It is also why I driv=
e a standard shift Honda, as their auto trannies can be weak, as can their =
headgaskets.&nbsp; That&#8217;s another story.&nbsp; Regarding
 detailing products:&nbsp; There are a host of really good products out the=
re and everyone has their particular favorite.&nbsp; Mine is Meguires tech =
wax 2.0.&nbsp; It is relatively inexpensive, and if put on as razor thin as=
 you can get it, while ensuring complete coverage,
 it will last awhile and comes off the paint like a dream.&nbsp; My dashboa=
rds don&#8217;t see anything but dampened towels, as in the ones that I hav=
e just dried the paint with after a hand wash and squeegee dry.&nbsp; They =
are microfiber towels and have just enough moisture
 from the nooks and crannies to do the dash, console, etc.&nbsp; Another to=
wel gets the inside of the door jambs, rear deck lid, under hood, gas fille=
r, etc.&nbsp; which makes it a little too dirty for interior dash drying.&n=
bsp; (Drying with two towels was something I picked
 up almost 50 years ago as a car-wash employee in Akron, Oh.)&nbsp; Unlike =
the dashboards of yesteryear these vinyl dash components do not require &#8=
216;feeding&#8217; to forestall the eventual cracking.&nbsp; They just don&=
#8217;t seem to crack anymore.&nbsp; Believe me, Dallas sees some
 ridiculous temperatures that would toast an older dash, and door panel, an=
d rear seat, and package tray, and even paint.&nbsp; The modern paint can s=
till get cooked, which is why I apply wax at least twice a year, and park i=
n the coveted shady spot whenever possible.&nbsp;
 With some TLC to your paint and resisting the temptation to put gee-whiz p=
roducts on your interior you should have a truck that will serve you well f=
or decades.&nbsp; If you are in a salt-ridden state, I would strongly sugge=
st regular chassis baths during those
 seasons and a &#8216;get under the truck and get soaked at the quarter car=
 wash&#8217; session at the first sign of Spring.&nbsp; Oh, and I believe t=
he owner&#8217;s manual specifies to use only a dampened cloth in the inter=
ior, with maybe a very mild soap if absolutely necessary,
 followed by a rinse.&nbsp; It does on later Toyotas.&nbsp; I&#8217;m a big=
 fan of Weather Tech mats too, and just bought a beautifully designed set f=
or my honey&#8217;s Prius.&nbsp; Rainy season is upon us.&nbsp; (I&#8217;m =
a little nutty about preventative maintenance, just in case you didn&#8217;=
t
 pick up on that. (Smile))<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText">Have fun in your truck.&nbsp; With good care they=
 are as loyal as old dogs.<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoPlainText">Ed in Dallas<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_67A276399E247245AC2050FC103C4E8A4D76AA47DLEE12entticom_--

--===============4007593870350856080==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4007593870350856080==--