Subject: Re: [TR] Stag quit at speed

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:49:02 -0700

--===============6489942076841730159==

--001a1145061ad2e497053a85440a

Or... could be your battery needs to be replaced.  You may want to do (or
get) a load test - any auto parts place can do this.

If a battery is reading 8 volts it will probably have a hard time coming
back from that.  The mere fact that you can charge a battery back up to
reading 12V does not prove it is okay.

Geo

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Lee&John Howard <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Was giving the Stag its first serious road test today - it failed!  Engine
> quit at about 60 and everything went dead. On the shoulder ( of CA101 north
> of SF at rush hour - fun) and engine would not turn and hazard lights wold
> not flash.
>
> Could this be anything else but the alternator going dead causing the
> battery to totally  discharge?   I just tested by charging the battery,
> then starting the car. I turned on all the fans ,lights and radio, then
> waited just a few minutes and the engine shit down. Battery voltage now
> under 8 volts.
>
> Must be the alternator, right?
>
> John Howard
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

--001a1145061ad2e497053a85440a
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Or... could be your battery needs to be replaced.=C2=
=A0 You may want to do (or get) a load test - any auto parts place can do t=
his.</div><div><br></div><div>If a battery is reading 8 volts it will proba=
bly have a hard time coming back from that.=C2=A0 The mere fact that you ca=
n charge a battery back up to reading 12V does not prove it is okay.</div><=
div><br></div><div>Geo</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Lee&amp;John Howard <spa=
n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">l=
[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote=
" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><=
div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div><div>Was giving the Stag its first serious road t=
est today - it failed!=C2=A0 Engine quit at about 60 and everything went de=
ad. On the shoulder ( of CA101 north of SF at rush hour - fun) and engine w=
ould not turn and hazard lights wold not flash.<br><br></div>Could this be =
anything else but the alternator going dead causing the battery to totally=
=C2=A0 discharge?=C2=A0=C2=A0 I just tested by charging the battery, then s=
tarting the car. I turned on all the fans ,lights and radio, then waited ju=
st a few minutes and the engine shit down. Battery voltage now under 8 volt=
s.<br><br></div>Must be the alternator, right?<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font =
color=3D"#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font =
color=3D"#888888">John Howard<br></font></span></div>
<br><br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/triumphs/ahwahneetr@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a1145061ad2e497053a85440a--

--===============6489942076841730159==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6489942076841730159==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:05:44 -0700

--===============1868872506672902522==

----_com.boxer.email_4283913449005731
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.boxer.email_4283913449005731
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.boxer.email_4283913449005731--

--===============1868872506672902522==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1868872506672902522==--

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:39:48 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============3562165534695218827==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1FADF.F0AD1120"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1FADF.F0AD1120
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Can=E2=80=99t decide if that was a typo, Freudian, or just accurate J.   =
If the battery is good and just charged, I would think it would run for =
more than a few minutes before quitting.  Anyway, if you have a =
multimeter you can test the battery and the alternator =E2=80=93 Google =
for youtube videos for how to do it, pretty easy.  =
Here=E2=80=99s=E2=80=99 one =
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DLGB6ZEjGm7Q   I think most auto parts =
stores will also check for free, but that does mean removing it.   BTW, =
I had a similar problem with my Toyota Highlander. Came out of COSTCO =
and everything was dead, not a peep. Slammed the back hatch and it =
started, made it home with no problem and then I tightened the battery =
terminals and haven=E2=80=99t had an issue since. Sometimes it=E2=80=99s =
the simplest things.

Bob

=20

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of =
Lee&John Howard
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:56 AM
To: triumph list list
Subject: [TR] Stag quit at speed

=20

Was giving the Stag its first serious road test today - it failed!  =
Engine quit at about 60 and everything went dead. On the shoulder ( of =
CA101 north of SF at rush hour - fun) and engine would not turn and =
hazard lights wold not flash.

Could this be anything else but the alternator going dead causing the =
battery to totally  discharge?   I just tested by charging the battery, =
then starting the car. I turned on all the fans ,lights and radio, then =
waited just a few minutes and the engine shit down. Battery voltage now =
under 8 volts.

John Howard

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1FADF.F0AD1120
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Wingdings;
	panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Can=E2=80=99t decide if that was a typo, Freudian, or just accurate =
</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Wingdings;color:#1F497D'>J</span><s=
pan =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>.=C2=A0 =C2=A0If the battery is good and just charged, I would think =
it would run for more than a few minutes before quitting. =C2=A0Anyway, =
if you have a multimeter you can test the battery and the alternator =
=E2=80=93 Google for youtube videos for how to do it, pretty easy. =
=C2=A0Here=E2=80=99s=E2=80=99 one <a =
href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DLGB6ZEjGm7Q">https://www.youtub=
e.com/watch?v=3DLGB6ZEjGm7Q</a>=C2=A0=C2=A0 I think most auto parts =
stores will also check for free, but that does mean removing it. =
=C2=A0=C2=A0BTW, I had a similar problem with my Toyota Highlander. Came =
out of COSTCO and everything was dead, not a peep. Slammed the back =
hatch and it started, made it home with no problem and then I tightened =
the battery terminals and haven=E2=80=99t had an issue since. Sometimes =
it=E2=80=99s the simplest things.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Bob<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Lee&amp;John Howard<br><b>Sent:</b> Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:56 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> triumph list list<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Stag quit at =
speed<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Was giving the Stag its =
first serious road test today - it failed!&nbsp; Engine quit at about 60 =
and everything went dead. On the shoulder ( of CA101 north of SF at rush =
hour - fun) and engine would not turn and hazard lights wold not =
flash.<o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Could this be anything else but the =
alternator going dead causing the battery to totally&nbsp; =
discharge?&nbsp;&nbsp; I just tested by charging the battery, then =
starting the car. I turned on all the fans ,lights and radio, then =
waited just a few minutes and <span =
style=3D'background:yellow;mso-highlight:yellow'>the engine shit =
down</span>. Battery voltage now under 8 volts.<o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Must be the alternator, =
right?<o:p></o:p></p></div><p class=3DMsoNormal>John =
Howard<o:p></o:p></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D1FADF.F0AD1120--

--===============3562165534695218827==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3562165534695218827==--

---

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 13:46:05 -0700

--===============7873090977825030147==

--94eb2c03c0decb4daf053a86e9dc

Thanks all

But does a bad battery explain the car quitting going 65 after being on the
road for 15 minutes?  Not to mention that the battery is less than 6 months
old, and hardly driven at all.

John

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The stock Stag alternator dies nothing at all at idle. However, a good
> charged battery should be able to carry the entire load for a lot longer
> than 8 minutes. Several hours at least, longer if the headlights are not on.
>
> For example, in 2005 I had the alternator on Stag #1 fail around Palm
> Springs and finished my 2 hour drive home just on the battery. The
> headlights were getting kind of dim by the time i got home, but the engine
> still ran fine.
>
> So I would say more likely you have a bad battery. Possibly just never got
> charged but you said you charged it.
>
> O'Reillys will test your battery for free, probably most others will as
> well. However I've been unhappy with their batteries, so I suggest going
> elsewhere if you need a new one.
>
> -- Randall
>

--94eb2c03c0decb4daf053a86e9dc
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div>Thanks all<br><br></div>But does a bad battery e=
xplain the car quitting going 65 after being on the road for 15 minutes?=C2=
=A0 Not to mention that the battery is less than 6 months old, and hardly d=
riven at all. <br><br></div>John<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><d=
iv class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM,  <span dir=3D"lt=
r">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">tr3driver@c=
a.rr.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><p dir=
=3D"ltr">The stock Stag alternator dies nothing at all at idle. However, a =
good charged battery should be able to carry the entire load for a lot long=
er than 8 minutes. Several hours at least, longer if the headlights are not=
 on.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">For example, in 2005 I had the alternator on Stag #1 fail ar=
ound Palm Springs and finished my 2 hour drive home just on the battery. Th=
e headlights were getting kind of dim by the time i got home, but the engin=
e still ran fine.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">So I would say more likely you have a bad battery. Possibly =
just never got charged but you said you charged it.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">O&#39;Reillys will test your battery for free, probably most=
 others will as well. However I&#39;ve been unhappy with their batteries, s=
o I suggest going elsewhere if you need a new one.</p><span class=3D"HOEnZb=
"><font color=3D"#888888">
<p dir=3D"ltr">-- Randall</p>
</font></span></blockquote></div><br></div>

--94eb2c03c0decb4daf053a86e9dc--

--===============7873090977825030147==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7873090977825030147==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 15:52:29 -0500

Put a volt meter on the battery while it's running, s/b 13.5v or better at 1500rpm.    Seems a fully charged battery could handle running the car and lights longer than a "few minutes", have the battery checked next.  

Bill B
TS30800L

Sent from my Altair 8800

On Aug 20, 2016, at 12:56 PM, Lee&John Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:

Was giving the Stag its first serious road test today - it failed!  Engine quit at about 60 and everything went dead. On the shoulder ( of CA101 north of SF at rush hour - fun) and engine would not turn and hazard lights wold not flash.

Could this be anything else but the alternator going dead causing the battery to totally  discharge?   I just tested by charging the battery, then starting the car. I turned on all the fans ,lights and radio, then waited just a few minutes and the engine shit down. Battery voltage now under 8 volts.

John Howard

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 18:56:02 -0400

Just as a side note -- you'll want to fully charge your battery before
you load test it.  A whole lot of batteries get replaced,and then they
buy a new alternator...

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Geo Hahn <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> battery to totally  discharge?   I just tested by charging the battery, then
>> starting the car. I turned on all the fans ,lights and radio, then waited
>> just a few minutes and the engine shit down. Battery voltage now under 8
>> volts.
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>>
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 18:08:10 -0700

> But does a bad battery explain the car quitting going 65 after being on
> the road for 15 minutes?  Not to mention that the battery is less than 6
> months old, and hardly driven at all.

Sorry, I missed that you were actually doing 65 when it quit.  In that case,
I'd say you also have a bum alternator (or wiring to it, etc.).  But I still
think you've got a battery problem.

Batteries can be ruined in a matter of days by running them totally flat and
leaving them that way.  Had that happen just a couple of months ago in a
non-LBC, to a battery that was only about 4 months old.  I was out of town,
and the wife accidentally left the dome light on.  When she went to start
the car exactly a week later (it has to be moved every Thursday for street
sweeping), the battery wouldn't take a charge.

Randall

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 19:06:57 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4082927898767158946==
 boundary="------------BDDA8C1BCE7C80DBC3CC5E44"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------BDDA8C1BCE7C80DBC3CC5E44
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

On 8/20/16 1:46 PM, Lee&John Howard wrote:
> Thanks all
>
> But does a bad battery explain the car quitting going 65 after being 
> on the road for 15 minutes?Â  Not to mention that the battery is less 
> than 6 months old, and hardly driven at all.
Never forget that electrical and ignition system symptoms are basically 
the same.  but in this case 8 volts on the battery is pretty much a 
giveaway.

Have you checked all battery, alternator and their respective ground 
connection at both ends to assure proper tight clean connections?? Is 
there a wire between the alternator case and chassis ground? Bad 
connections, esp overlooked ground connections can do you in if you only 
pay attention to the hot side of the circuit.  This is why I replaced 
the ammeter on both of my cars with a volt meter gauge.  It would have 
told you if the charge was low or non existent. Never discount a new 
battery.  They have been known to fail.

TeriAnn
>
> John
>
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM, <[email-masked] 
>
>     The stock Stag alternator dies nothing at all at idle. However, a
>     good charged battery should be able to carry the entire load for a
>     lot longer than 8 minutes. Several hours at least, longer if the
>     headlights are not on.
>
>     For example, in 2005 I had the alternator on Stag #1 fail around
>     Palm Springs and finished my 2 hour drive home just on the
>     battery. The headlights were getting kind of dim by the time i got
>     home, but the engine still ran fine.
>
>     So I would say more likely you have a bad battery. Possibly just
>     never got charged but you said you charged it.
>
>     O'Reillys will test your battery for free, probably most others
>     will as well. However I've been unhappy with their batteries, so I
>     suggest going elsewhere if you need a new one.
>
>     -- Randall
>
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and 
Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>
*The world beckons and life waits for no one*

--------------BDDA8C1BCE7C80DBC3CC5E44
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/20/16 1:46 PM, Lee&amp;John Howard
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div>
          <div>Thanks all<br>
            <br>
          </div>
          But does a bad battery explain the car quitting going 65 after
          being on the road for 15 minutes?Â  Not to mention that the
          battery is less than 6 months old, and hardly driven at all. <br>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    Never forget that electrical and ignition system symptoms are
    basically the same.  but in this case 8 volts on the battery is
    pretty much a giveaway.<br>
    <br>
    Have you checked all battery, alternator and their respective ground
    connection at both ends to assure proper tight clean connections??
    Is there a wire between the alternator case and chassis ground? Bad
    connections, esp overlooked ground connections can do you in if you
    only pay attention to the hot side of the circuit.  This is why I
    replaced the ammeter on both of my cars with a volt meter gauge.  It
    would have told you if the charge was low or non existent. Never
    discount a new battery.  They have been known to fail.<br>
    <br>
    TeriAnn<br>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div><br>
        </div>
        John<br>
      </div>
      <div class="gmail_extra"><br>
        <div class="gmail_quote">On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM, <span
            dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            <p dir="ltr">The stock Stag alternator dies nothing at all
              at idle. However, a good charged battery should be able to
              carry the entire load for a lot longer than 8 minutes.
              Several hours at least, longer if the headlights are not
              on.</p>
            <p dir="ltr">For example, in 2005 I had the alternator on
              Stag #1 fail around Palm Springs and finished my 2 hour
              drive home just on the battery. The headlights were
              getting kind of dim by the time i got home, but the engine
              still ran fine.</p>
            <p dir="ltr">So I would say more likely you have a bad
              battery. Possibly just never got charged but you said you
              charged it.</p>
            <p dir="ltr">O'Reillys will test your battery for free,
              probably most others will as well. However I've been
              unhappy with their batteries, so I suggest going elsewhere
              if you need a new one.</p>
            <span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">
                <p dir="ltr">-- Randall</p>
              </font></span></blockquote>
        </div>
        <br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <a href="http://overlandtravel.us">Book - The Essential Guide to
        Overland Travel in the United States and Canada</a>
      <br>
      <b>The world beckons and life waits for no one</b>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------BDDA8C1BCE7C80DBC3CC5E44--

--===============4082927898767158946==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4082927898767158946==--