Subject: Re: [TR] Wonky Turn Signal Switch (TR6)

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 08:29:10 -0400

The simplest solution would be to get a single pole, double throw,
center off switch and wire it in place of the existing switch...cram
wires in the connectors with wooden pegs whittled to size if you don't
have spare bullet connectors.  Throw a bunch of tape around it, and
mount it somewhere convenient if you have time.

The bonus is that if you leave it that way long enough, you can
eventually become the DPO yourself!

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 2:38 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Help!! I'm frantically trying to get ready to go to Armagh for the Roadster
> Factory Summer Party, and I'm in the middle of an electrical crisis. My turn
> signals (front, back and both sides) stopped working this year when I
> started the season. I have used Dan Master's "Yellow Bible" to trace the
> fault. Today I decided to look at the actual switch, and much to my horror,
> I found the wiring at the switch in a mummy-wrap of black tape. A sure sign
> that a DPO has committed some crime there in the past. Sure enough, the
> "common" wire (light green / brown stripe) was just sitting there in the
> midst of the mess with no connection to the switch at all! Clearly a new
> switch is required, but is there anything I can do temporarily to get my
> turn signals to work until I arrive at TRF? It's too late to order it now as
> I'm leaving on Wednesday, but some McGiverish ideas would be welcome
> indeed...
>
> Also, my brake lights are on vacation, but that should be a simple fix since
> there isn't much to the circuit and I can get another switch (if needed) at
> my FLAPS.
>
> Thank you...
>
> Tom Walling
> '73 TR6
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 05:41:11 -0700

--===============5504749325340036622==

--001a113df31a1e067105391608a6

Tom -

A 'double throw center-off' toggle switch can be used as a jury-rigged turn
signal switch, in fact my TR3 came to me that way.

Geo

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Help!! I'm frantically trying to get ready to go to Armagh for the
> Roadster Factory Summer Party, and I'm in the middle of an electrical
> crisis. My turn signals (front, back and both sides) stopped working this
> year when I started the season. I have used Dan Master's "Yellow Bible" to
> trace the fault. Today I decided to look at the actual switch, and much to
> my horror, I found the wiring at the switch in a mummy-wrap of black tape.
> A sure sign that a DPO has committed some crime there in the past. Sure
> enough, the "common" wire (light green / brown stripe) was just sitting
> there in the midst of the mess with no connection to the switch at all!
> Clearly a new switch is required, but is there anything I can do
> temporarily to get my turn signals to work until I arrive at TRF? It's too
> late to order it now as I'm leaving on Wednesday, but some McGiverish ideas
> would be welcome indeed...
>
> Also, my brake lights are on vacation, but that should be a simple fix
> since there isn't much to the circuit and I can get another switch (if
> needed) at my FLAPS.
>
> Thank you...
>
> Tom Walling
> '73 TR6
>
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>

--001a113df31a1e067105391608a6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Tom -</div><div><br></div><div>A &#39;double throw ce=
nter-off&#39; toggle switch can be used as a jury-rigged turn signal switch=
, in fact my TR3 came to me that way.</div><div><br></div><div>Geo</div></d=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Aug 1,=
 2016 at 11:38 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pdqtr6@comcast.=
net" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockqu=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Aria=
l;font-size:12pt"><div>Help!! I&#39;m frantically trying to get ready to go=
 to Armagh for the Roadster Factory Summer Party, and I&#39;m in the middle=
 of an electrical crisis. My turn signals (front, back and both sides) stop=
ped working this year when I started the season. I have used Dan Master&#39=
;s &quot;Yellow Bible&quot; to trace the fault. Today I decided to look at =
the actual switch, and much to my horror, I found the wiring at the switch =
in a mummy-wrap of black tape. A sure sign that a DPO has committed some cr=
ime there in the past. Sure enough, the &quot;common&quot; wire (light gree=
n / brown stripe) was just sitting there in the midst of the mess with no c=
onnection to the switch at all! Clearly a new switch is required, but is th=
ere anything I can do temporarily to get my turn signals to work until I ar=
rive at TRF? It&#39;s too late to order it now as I&#39;m leaving on Wednes=
day, but some McGiverish ideas would be welcome indeed...</div><div><br></d=
iv><div>Also, my brake lights are on vacation, but that should be a simple =
fix since there isn&#39;t much to the circuit and I can get another switch =
(if needed) at my FLAPS.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Thank you...<br></div=
><div><br></div><div>Tom Walling<br></div><div>&#39;73 TR6<br></div></div><=
/div><br><br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a113df31a1e067105391608a6--

--===============5504749325340036622==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5504749325340036622==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 18:39:14 -0400

> but some McGiverish
> ideas would be welcome indeed...

A simple SPDT center off switch (also known as "on-off-on"), which should be
available at most FLAPS or for sure any electronics supply, will do for an
emergency turn signal switch.  Obviously it won't self-cancel, so you'll
have to remember to turn it off after each turn.
This one shows as in-stock at the local Autozone
<
http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/toggle-switch/dorman-toggle-
switch/6450_0_0/>

But honestly, why not just use hand signals until you can get a replacement
switch?

-- Randall

---

From: Joe Burlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 07:52:55 -0400

And hand signals have the added bonus of confusing everyone behind you!

Joe B
72 TR6

On Aug 2, 2016, at 18:39, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: marty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 11:32:23 -0400

--===============7843545185934003995==
	boundary="_84e50458-cdc8-4f31-9d81-417255527995_"

--_84e50458-cdc8-4f31-9d81-417255527995_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Be cautious using the hand signals. I don't even know if they teach new dri=
vers about them. Guy at work was driving his vintage pickup truck in one da=
y. Didn't come with blinkers. He gave the left turn hand signal to turn int=
o the driveway and the person behind him took it as a point by. It almost e=
nded badly. Watch your mirrors if you go that route.
=20
Marty
=20
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]=3B [email-masked]=3B [email-masked]=
am.net
> Date: Tue=2C 2 Aug 2016 18:39:14 -0400
> Subject: Re: [TR] Wonky Turn Signal Switch (TR6)

>=20
> But honestly=2C why not just use hand signals until you can get a replace=
ment
> switch?
 		 	   		  =

--_84e50458-cdc8-4f31-9d81-417255527995_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<style><!--
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
<body class=3D'hmmessage'><div dir=3D'ltr'>Be cautious&nbsp=3Busing the han=
d signals. I don't even know if they teach new drivers about them. Guy at w=
ork was driving his vintage pickup truck in one day. Didn't come with blink=
ers. He gave the left turn hand signal to turn into the driveway and the pe=
rson behind him took it as a point by. It almost ended badly. Watch your mi=
rrors if you go that route.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Marty<br>&nbsp=3B<BR><div>&gt=3B=
 From: [email-masked]<br>&gt=3B To: [email-masked]=3B net@newengla=
ndtriumphs.org=3B [email-masked]<br>&gt=3B Date: Tue=2C 2 Aug 2016=
 18:39:14 -0400<br>&gt=3B Subject: Re: [TR] Wonky Turn Signal Switch (TR6)<=
br><br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B But honestly=2C why not just use hand signals unti=
l you can get a replacement<br>&gt=3B switch?<br></div> 		 	   		  </div></=
body>
</html>=

--_84e50458-cdc8-4f31-9d81-417255527995_--

--===============7843545185934003995==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============7843545185934003995==--

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 14:31:27 -0400

Except at night!

Alex T.

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joe
Burlein
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 7:53 AM
To: Randall
Cc: Triumphs; NET Member Mailing
Subject: Re: [TR] Wonky Turn Signal Switch (TR6)

Joe B
72 TR6

On Aug 2, 2016, at 18:39, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A simple SPDT center off switch (also known as "on-off-on"), which 
> should be available at most FLAPS or for sure any electronics supply, 
> will do for an emergency turn signal switch.  Obviously it won't 
> self-cancel, so you'll have to remember to turn it off after each turn.
> This one shows as in-stock at the local Autozone <
> But honestly, why not just use hand signals until you can get a 
> replacement switch?
> 
> -- Randall
> 
> 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:01:36 -0400

> And hand signals have the added bonus of confusing everyone behind you!

That would be a Good Thing, IMO.  At least they would be paying attention to
me instead of their cell phone!

Randall

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:36:01 -0400

Except at night!

Alex T.

---

From: Joe Burlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:46:55 -0400

So true. That alone may keep your rear bumper intact. 

Joe B
72 TR6

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 15:18:22 -0700

--===============8757294273250213627==

--001a113d6f462be32d05393236e6

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 8:32 AM, marty <[email-masked]> wrote:

Be cautious using the hand signals. I don't even know if they teach new
> drivers about them...

I think there are only two hand signals new drivers know.

The other one is 'thumbs up'.

--001a113d6f462be32d05393236e6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On W=
ed, Aug 3, 2016 at 8:32 AM, marty <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:t=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:</div><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_q=
uote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:=
rgb(204,204,204);border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid">

<div><div dir=3D"ltr">Be cautious=C2=A0using the hand signals. I don&#39;t =
even know if they teach new drivers about them...</div></div></blockquote><=
div><br></div><div>I think there are only two hand signals new drivers know=
.</div><div><br></div><div>The other one is &#39;thumbs up&#39;.=C2=A0</div=
></div></div>

--001a113d6f462be32d05393236e6--

--===============8757294273250213627==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8757294273250213627==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 22:33:20 +0000 (UTC)

True.  Too true.  I would only add that new drivers use hand signals all the time.  Just, they're telling YOU where to go, not the direction that they themselves are going.

Terry

----- Original Message -----
From: "marty" <[email-masked]>
To: "Triumph List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:32:23 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] Wonky Turn Signal Switch (TR6)

Be cautious using the hand signals. I don't even know if they teach new drivers about them. Guy at work was driving his vintage pickup truck in one day. Didn't come with blinkers. He gave the left turn hand signal to turn into the driveway and the person behind him took it as a point by. It almost ended badly. Watch your mirrors if you go that route. 

Marty 

> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
> Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 18:39:14 -0400