Subject: [TR] Paint job!!!!!!

From: John Summers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 10:49:09 +0000 (UTC)

--===============7068448755541562221==
	boundary="----=_Part_10200060_517211069.1470134949784"

------=_Part_10200060_517211069.1470134949784
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

O. M. God., $6,000,,,,,,,the sport of kings or Silicon Valley CEO's!!!
------=_Part_10200060_517211069.1470134949784
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div style="color:#000; background-color:#fff; font-family:HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif;font-size:16px"><div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470134459916_4962" dir="ltr">O. M. God., $6,000,,,,,,,the sport of kings or Silicon Valley CEO's!!!</div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_10200060_517211069.1470134949784--

--===============7068448755541562221==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7068448755541562221==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 10:38:37 -0400

> O. M. God., $6,000,,,,,,,the sport of kings or Silicon Valley CEO's!!!

Do they have MAACO in your part of the country?  If no body work is
required, they will do a decent job painting for a lot less than $6000.
ISTR the paint job was under $1000, including sanding off the old paint &
primer (which probably had lead in it), painting the stripe, door jambs and
so on.  I removed all the chrome beforehand (so they would paint under it),
but they would have masked it for the same price.

Of course, it's not concours quality, but it's just fine for a "driver".  I
get lots of comments on the car, and not one person has ever commented on
the paint job being cheap.

The body work I'm less happy with, I won't have them do that again (but
hopefully I won't need to).  But the paint was worth the price, and although
I had to take it back once for some touch-ups, they cheerfully took care of
the problems.

It has accumulated a few road chips already; I'll probably get it repainted
in a few more years.  Or maybe by then, I'll try doing it myself.

-- Randall

---

From: Chad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 20:21:17 +0000 (UTC)

--===============8460312366266684848==
	boundary="----=_Part_8653796_652889285.1470255677251"

------=_Part_8653796_652889285.1470255677251
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

We had my son's car painted at Maaco last year....did all the body work our=
selves.=C2=A0 They put their premium base clear on it for under $1000.=C2=
=A0 It buffed out well and looks fantastic.
Chad in Tulsa

      From: Randall <[email-masked]>
 To: 'John Summers' <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]=20
 Sent: Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:38 AM
 Subject: Re: [TR] Paint job!!!!!!
  =20

> O. M. God., $6,000,,,,,,,the sport of kings or Silicon Valley CEO's!!!

Do they have MAACO in your part of the country?=C2=A0 If no body work is
required, they will do a decent job painting for a lot less than $6000.
ISTR the paint job was under $1000, including sanding off the old paint &
primer (which probably had lead in it), painting the stripe, door jambs and
so on.=C2=A0 I removed all the chrome beforehand (so they would paint under=
 it),
but they would have masked it for the same price.

Of course, it's not concours quality, but it's just fine for a "driver".=C2=
=A0 I
get lots of comments on the car, and not one person has ever commented on
the paint job being cheap.

The body work I'm less happy with, I won't have them do that again (but
hopefully I won't need to).=C2=A0 But the paint was worth the price, and al=
though
I had to take it back once for some touch-ups, they cheerfully took care of
the problems.

It has accumulated a few road chips already; I'll probably get it repainted
in a few more years.=C2=A0 Or maybe by then, I'll try doing it myself.

-- Randall
=20

[email-masked]

------=_Part_8653796_652889285.1470255677251
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div style=3D"color:#000; background-color:#fff; f=
ont-family:HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, =
sans-serif;font-size:12px"><div><span>We had my son's car painted at Maaco =
last year....did all the body work ourselves.&nbsp; They put their premium =
base clear on it for under $1000.&nbsp; It buffed out well and looks fantas=
tic.</span></div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5585"><span></s=
pan><br></div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5584"><span>Chad i=
n Tulsa</span></div><div class=3D"qtdSeparateBR" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_14=
70253631953_5583"><br><br></div><div class=3D"yahoo_quoted" id=3D"yui_3_16_=
0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5521" style=3D"display: block;">  <div id=3D"yui_3_1=
6_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5520" style=3D"font-family: HelveticaNeue, Helveti=
ca Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"> <d=
iv id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5519" style=3D"font-family: Helvet=
icaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-=
size: 16px;"> <div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5518" dir=3D"ltr">=
 <font id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5581" face=3D"Arial" size=3D"2=
"> <hr size=3D"1"> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">From:</span></b> R=
andall &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;=
">To:</span></b> 'John Summers' &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; triumphs@au=
tox.team.net <br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">Sent:</span></b> We=
dnesday, August 3, 2016 9:38 AM<br> <b><span style=3D"font-weight: bold;">S=
ubject:</span></b> Re: [TR] Paint job!!!!!!<br> </font> </div> <div class=
=3D"y_msg_container" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5582"><br><br>&g=
t; O. M. God., $6,000,,,,,,,the sport of kings or Silicon Valley CEO's!!!<b=
r><br>Do they have MAACO in your part of the country?&nbsp; If no body work=
 is<br>required, they will do a decent job painting for a lot less than $60=
00.<br>ISTR the paint job was under $1000, including sanding off the old pa=
int &amp;<br>primer (which probably had lead in it), painting the stripe, d=
oor jambs and<br>so on.&nbsp; I removed all the chrome beforehand (so they =
would paint under it),<br>but they would have masked it for the same price.=
<br><br>Of course, it's not concours quality, but it's just fine for a "dri=
ver".&nbsp; I<br>get lots of comments on the car, and not one person has ev=
er commented on<br>the paint job being cheap.<br><br>The body work I'm less=
 happy with, I won't have them do that again (but<br>hopefully I won't need=
 to).&nbsp; But the paint was worth the price, and although<br>I had to tak=
e it back once for some touch-ups, they cheerfully took care of<br>the prob=
lems.<br><br>It has accumulated a few road chips already; I'll probably get=
 it repainted<br>in a few more years.&nbsp; Or maybe by then, I'll try doin=
g it myself.<br><br>-- Randall<br> <br><br><br>** <a id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_=
1_1470253631953_5586" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" ymailto=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br><br>Donate:=
 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.t=
eam.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums: <a href=3D"ht=
tp://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><=
br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tri=
umphs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailm=
an/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br><br><br></div> </div> </d=
iv>  </div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_8653796_652889285.1470255677251--

--===============8460312366266684848==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8460312366266684848==--

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:05:28 -0500

there is one guy here who had his cars (2) painted by Maaco, and they look 
great to me.

another friend got a quote for $1500 or so for a stag.  its just a body 
shell, nothing on it.  and that includes the hood, trunklid, and doors done 
separately.   he also got a quote for $6k.  guess which one he is going 
with????

I'm with Randall - my next car will be Maaco because I'm going to drive it!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 21:19:47 +0000 (UTC)

Hello, everyone.  Having fried a solenoid once, I thought I'd be smart--uhm, just shows how smart I am--and put an inline fuse between the OD switch and the solenoid.  Started with a 5 amp fuse, which seemed to be fine, but then started popping somewhat regularly.  So I switched to a 10 amp fuse, and that pops fairly regularly too, and increasingly.  Replaced the fuse 3 times in the past three days.  It happens while the OD is engaged.  

So, anybody know offhand how many amps the solenoid draws, including any spikes?  I imagine I'm saving the solenoid with all this, but then maybe it's the solenoid telling me it wants to self-destruct.

Thank you,everyone.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 06:34:18 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9069977473736524369==
 boundary="------------AABB1A0B378F5F7063A3717A"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------AABB1A0B378F5F7063A3717A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Has anyone tried the wrap or even cheaper spray on "wrap"?

DaveP

On 8/3/2016 2:21 PM, Chad wrote:
> We had my son's car painted at Maaco last year....did all the body 
> work ourselves.  They put their premium base clear on it for under 
> $1000.  It buffed out well and looks fantastic.
>
> Chad in Tulsa
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Randall <[email-masked]>
> *To:* 'John Summers' <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
> *Sent:* Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:38 AM
> *Subject:* Re: [TR] Paint job!!!!!!
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------AABB1A0B378F5F7063A3717A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p>Has anyone tried the wrap or even cheaper spray on "wrap"?</p>
    <p>DaveP</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/3/2016 2:21 PM, Chad wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div style="color:#000; background-color:#fff;
        font-family:HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial,
        Lucida Grande, sans-serif;font-size:12px">
        <div><span>We had my son's car painted at Maaco last year....did
            all the body work ourselves.  They put their premium base
            clear on it for under $1000.  It buffed out well and looks
            fantastic.</span></div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5585"><span></span><br>
        </div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5584"><span>Chad in
            Tulsa</span></div>
        <div class="qtdSeparateBR"
          id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5583"><br>
          <br>
        </div>
        <div class="yahoo_quoted"
          id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5521" style="display:
          block;">
          <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5520"
            style="font-family: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue,
            Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:
            12px;">
            <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5519"
              style="font-family: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue,
              Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:
              16px;">
              <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5518" dir="ltr">
                <font id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5581"
                  face="Arial" size="2">
                  <hr size="1"> <b><span style="font-weight: bold;">From:</span></b>
                  Randall <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                  <b><span style="font-weight: bold;">To:</span></b>
                  'John Summers' <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>;
                  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> <br>
                  <b><span style="font-weight: bold;">Sent:</span></b>
                  Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:38 AM<br>
                  <b><span style="font-weight: bold;">Subject:</span></b>
                  Re: [TR] Paint job!!!!!!<br>
                </font> </div>
              <div class="y_msg_container"
                id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5582"><br>
                <br>
                &gt; O. M. God., $6,000,,,,,,,the sport of kings or
                Silicon Valley CEO's!!!<br>
                <br>
                Do they have MAACO in your part of the country?  If no
                body work is<br>
                required, they will do a decent job painting for a lot
                less than $6000.<br>
                ISTR the paint job was under $1000, including sanding
                off the old paint &amp;<br>
                primer (which probably had lead in it), painting the
                stripe, door jambs and<br>
                so on.  I removed all the chrome beforehand (so they
                would paint under it),<br>
                but they would have masked it for the same price.<br>
                <br>
                Of course, it's not concours quality, but it's just fine
                for a "driver".  I<br>
                get lots of comments on the car, and not one person has
                ever commented on<br>
                the paint job being cheap.<br>
                <br>
                The body work I'm less happy with, I won't have them do
                that again (but<br>
                hopefully I won't need to).  But the paint was worth the
                price, and although<br>
                I had to take it back once for some touch-ups, they
                cheerfully took care of<br>
                the problems.<br>
                <br>
                It has accumulated a few road chips already; I'll
                probably get it repainted<br>
                in a few more years.  Or maybe by then, I'll try doing
                it myself.<br>
                <br>
                -- Randall<br>
                <br>
                <br>
                <br>
                ** <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1470253631953_5586"
                  href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                  ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
                **<br>
                <br>
                Donate: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                  target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
                <br>
                <br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------AABB1A0B378F5F7063A3717A--

--===============9069977473736524369==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9069977473736524369==--

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 06:56:19 -0700

--===============8174207844763314627==

--001a113d2b7880f02205393f50f2

I use an 8 amp fuse, but it is a slow-blow.

But you may have a problem that more or different fuses won't solve.

Geo

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 2:19 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Hello, everyone.  Having fried a solenoid once, I thought I'd be
> smart--uhm, just shows how smart I am--and put an inline fuse between the
> OD switch and the solenoid.  Started with a 5 amp fuse, which seemed to be
> fine, but then started popping somewhat regularly.  So I switched to a 10
> amp fuse, and that pops fairly regularly too, and increasingly.  Replaced
> the fuse 3 times in the past three days.  It happens while the OD is
> engaged.
>
> So, anybody know offhand how many amps the solenoid draws, including any
> spikes?  I imagine I'm saving the solenoid with all this, but then maybe
> it's the solenoid telling me it wants to self-destruct.
>
> Thank you,everyone.
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--001a113d2b7880f02205393f50f2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>I use an 8 amp fuse, but it is a slow-blow.</div><div=
><br></div><div>But you may have a problem that more or different fuses won=
&#39;t solve.</div><div><br></div><div>Geo</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_e=
xtra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 2:19 PM,  <span=
 dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">t=
[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quot=
e" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">=
<br>
Hello, everyone.=C2=A0 Having fried a solenoid once, I thought I&#39;d be s=
mart--uhm, just shows how smart I am--and put an inline fuse between the OD=
 switch and the solenoid.=C2=A0 Started with a 5 amp fuse, which seemed to =
be fine, but then started popping somewhat regularly.=C2=A0 So I switched t=
o a 10 amp fuse, and that pops fairly regularly too, and increasingly.=C2=
=A0 Replaced the fuse 3 times in the past three days.=C2=A0 It happens whil=
e the OD is engaged.<br>
<br>
So, anybody know offhand how many amps the solenoid draws, including any sp=
ikes?=C2=A0 I imagine I&#39;m saving the solenoid with all this, but then m=
aybe it&#39;s the solenoid telling me it wants to self-destruct.<br>
<br>
Thank you,everyone.<br>
<br>
Terry Smith, &#39;59 TR3A<br>
New Hampshire<br>
<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> *=
*<br>
<br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/triumphs/ahwahneetr@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a113d2b7880f02205393f50f2--

--===============8174207844763314627==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8174207844763314627==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 10:38:43 -0400

> it's the solenoid telling me it wants to self-destruct.

Yup, your fuse is actually doing it's job protecting the solenoid.  You've
got a serious problem if it is blowing 10 amp fuses during operation.

The A-type solenoid draws a big jolt of current when it is first engaged,
roughly 20 amps.  But that should last for only a fraction of a second, just
as long as it takes the plunger to move.  When the plunger hits home in the
solenoid body, it hits a pushrod that opens the contacts inside the end
cover, which in turn cut the current to the high current "pull-in" coil in
the solenoid.  That leaves only the low current "holding" coil in operation,
which only draws about 1 amp.

If anything happens to prevent the contacts from opening, that's when the
solenoid burns up as it cannot hope to dissipate the heat from continuous
operation of the pull-in coil.  In my case, it was a tiny bit of gravel or
sand that had worked its way into the housing and jammed the plunger.
Obviously, what you want is a fuse that will blow before the solenoid
overheats.

Fuses work on heat, so even a 5 amp fuse should take longer to blow at 20
amps than it takes the plunger to move.  Triumph used a Lucas 10 amp fuse
(which is roughly the equivalent of a 5 amp American fuse) for the OD
solenoid on a Stag.  I used an MDL-8 fuse just because I had a big box of
them on hand (a previous employer was throwing them out when the sonar line
closed), but I know of people that used AGC-5 with no problem.

Another thing that can happen: on some OD units there is supposed to be a
rubber bumper that limits how far the solenoid plunger can extend when the
solenoid is not powered.  If the rubber rots and falls out, the plunger may
extend so far that solenoid has a hard time picking it up against hydraulic
pressure.  Here's a photo where you can perhaps see my solution
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/A-type%20OD/DSCF0055.jpg.ht
ml
If that doesn't work, try this one:
http://tinyurl.com/znrrvsp

You can see a slightly different solution towards the end of the article at 
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD4/AOD4.htm

Randall